I am just weak sauce, apparently. oO

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I have my bike for nearly a year now and I got my first flat tyre after my last sunday's ride. Did not notice anything while I was on it, but on the next morning it was flat in the front. I checked the valve, seemed fine, and inflated the tyre again: it was nearly flat after half a day.

Here comes the weird part: I cannot seem to get those tyres off. They seem to be glued to the rims. And I cannot feel any tube inside.

I bought the bike as "new", ordered it myself from Focus and let it be send to the dealer. I noticed some mud on the back tyre and in the charging port right away, thought not much of it (better tested than not, regardless of wheather). But now I wonder what's going on. I sure as hell did not order any tubeless mod, and I did not pay for it as well. And the Jam2 6.8 comes TR (tubeless ready) but not already tubeless. Right? I mean, I did not lose any air whatsoever over half a year, I'd say. If any, I deflated the tyres myself a bit for more control and smoother ride

What's going on here? And how to proceed if my bike already is tubeless?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I have my bike for nearly a year now and I got my first flat tyre after my last sunday's ride. Did not notice anything while I was on it, but on the next morning it was flat in the front. I checked the valve, seemed fine, and inflated the tyre again: it was nearly flat after half a day.

Here comes the weird part: I cannot seem to get those tyres off. They seem to be glued to the rims. And I cannot feel any tube inside.

I bought the bike as "new", ordered it myself from Focus and let it be send to the dealer. I noticed some mud on the back tyre and in the charging port right away, thought not much of it (better tested than not, regardless of wheather). But now I wonder what's going on. I sure as hell did not order any tubeless mod, and I did not pay for it as well. And the Jam2 6.8 comes TR (tubeless ready) but not already tubeless. Right? I mean, I did not lose any air whatsoever over half a year, I'd say. If any, I deflated the tyres myself a bit for more control and smoother ride

What's going on here? And how to proceed if my bike already is tubeless?
I doubt Focus sent a tubeless set-up, but my LBS showed me a neat trick for removing and installing tight tires, tubed or not. Apparently it's a motocross trick, and one of the techs at my shop was a moto tech in a previous life.

Place the tire and rim on a round trash can. With the tire mostly but not completely deflated, push down using the bases of your thumbs to pry the bead from the rim. While it's still difficult, I have never encountered an MTB tire bead that I could not break using this method.

It's also a good way to install tight tires, as this seldom-viewed video demonstrates. I've also found it very helpful to pinch the two beads to the center of the rim on the opposite side, allowing a little more space to get the bead over the rim's edge.

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Ok, I totally underestimated this endeavor. The 'center' thing finally did the trick. It was 'all to the center' though, everywhere, multiple runs around the tyre.

There is a groove at the outer edge of the rim holding the tyre so firmly...

Man, I feel stupid now.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wouldn't feel stupid, some MTB tyres can be a right bastard and if you have never changed a heavy casing tyre before it can seem like its glued on!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles