I am already tired of......

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I rode a mates diy ebike a couple of years back, with a bafang 750w mid-drive, still running the original canti's from 1997 ?

That is nothing. About a month ago I installed a BBSHD with a 52v/17.5ah battery on a GT Outpost at a customers request as he had to have the biggest and baddest motor and the shop owner happy to make a sale and telling him it would be just fine. Like putting a bow on a turd. Although the BBSHD is a pretty shitty bow in itself. Cadence PAS, heavy and way too much power. I put both brake cutouts on it, fresh rubber and installed fresh brake pads and no longer work there as there was too much of that going on.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
In my experience ebike haters tend to share a few of the below (sometimes all 4!)...
  1. They live in an area where trail access has been hard earned and/or is currently under pressure;
  2. They have never ridden an ebike;
  3. They are very keen cyclists who have their own, highly regimented view of what cycling is, and anyone who disagrees is wrong;
  4. They would rather cycling didn't get any more popular so their favourite trails/routes remain "newbie free".
#1 I sympathise with - in some areas of the world (most obviously the US, but probably elsewhere too) the access MTBers enjoy based on being an unpowered vehicle. That means an ebike is more controversial than it is in the EU/UK where we can generally only go where other (more damaging) forms of transport can also (4x4s, enduro motorbikes etc).

#2-4 though are pretty annoying and narrow minded. Whilst I don't yet ride an ebike I have tried them and know that I will own one in the future, so if I see an ebiker getting stick I always take the time to stop and ask them about their bike, how they are enjoying it and if possible ride with them for a bit to show that not all of us on "clockwork" bikes are haters.

fos'l

May 14, 2018
socal, USA
Not to derail the thread, but Cook's parts too, although I don't know if they ever made it to the other side of the Atlantic (don't judge me if I got the wrong ocean; not a geography genius). I sold a 30 year old used bottom bracket and the guy was happy to give me a bunch of Benjamins ($100 bills) for it.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The decision to ride an eBike is personal and nobody else's business. Sure there are issues currently in regards to trail access, at least here in the states, but like all advancements in the bike industry it will blow over in time and then the next thing will come along for them to focus their narrow minds on. Maybe autonomous bikes perhaps?

Wow autonomous bikes - that is a crazy cool thought! :D

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Ride out to my local cycle cafe most weekends .....at first I was the only Ebike among the roadies and I had to sit at a separate table !!! But now there are 3 of us and one roadie came and admitted that he also has an E bike but was reluctant to bring it to the cafe but after my arrival he’s e biking.
Its interesting to watch the clockwork bikers take sly looks at my Focus and I am pleased to say I am now allowed to sit with the “roadie faggots”. Who are quite a nice bunch.
We are getting there
Have fun....I am
PS anyone want an old clockwork Giant 6CD58276-6250-4DD7-BFA2-4A5AC1632D94.jpeg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Still got this old beauty hanging in the shed , 1996 Cannondale f700 with headshock . It’s still a nice bike to pedal and was an excellent touring bike too , but the Kind of off road it was good for was very easy going stuff by today’s standards .

D0458EED-29FF-4968-B893-58A53106146A.jpeg

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I owned this when I was at school... Muddy Fox Pathfinder .. spent all my hard earned paper round money on it ... it was my pride and joy ... to think some kids wasted calories cutting through my wire lock to steal it makes me laugh out loud now ... I cried back then though lol
Screenshot_20180721-190651.png

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
For years mountain bikers have shelled out $10k+ for the lightest carbon fiber MTB to save a few pounds. Why? So it's easier to pedal. Did anyone say that's cheating? Those with the most money get the easiest MTB to ride? I paid less than $4K for my EMTB (Haibike, Xduro AllMtn 6.0) to make it easier to pedal.

Subconsciously I think these purists are jealous, and upset they spent so much money and aren't having as much fun. It's also an impact to their pride to pass them on an uphill like they're sitting still, so try to avoid that, sometimes.

I seem to get the same good workout, just as sweaty at the end as when I rode my Specialized Stumpjumper, but bigger smiles from the new trails we're riding in rougher and steeper terrain with our 2.7" wide tires.

This is analogous to horse and buggy owners in 1905 complaining about those new fangled automobiles going down roads too fast, easier, more convenient and efficient, scaring my horses as they drive by so fast. Jealousy IMO.

It's called evolution.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I was talking to the bloke who built the very first Doeys (named after him and often mis-spelt as Dowies apparently) trail today. He built it in 1995, can you image how hard it would have been to ride cleanly on the bikes available then?
He now rides a Kenevo, as do both of the other 2 founding fathers of those trails, I can't wait until someone on a clockwork bike starts pissing and moaning about trail wear from eBikes. :ROFLMAO:

Batesyripper

Apr 23, 2018
Gwent
You mean the market has changed in that there are finally EMTBs that work as well as normal MTB's at being mountain bikes?;)

I think its the exact opposite, in that the people i knew with EBikes up until the last few years, where those who either used them to overcome a physical handicap, or where lazy (all though this is relative as how can you truly be lazy if you wan to go out and pedal a bike!)

The last few years has seen an explosion of "core" mountain bikers switching over to EMTBS, because you can get more out of your time on the bike, ride new terrain, and still get the performance on downhills, parks and technical terrain that you have on your normal bike, and basically have a load of fun

As for fitness (something i don't ride a bike for, but benefit from from riding the bike) i find that ebikes encourage you to thrash out a ride, rather than having to stop to get your breath back, the assistance enables you to maintain operating at your peak performance, not compensate for a lack of it - i have lost more weight since owning an e-bike, simply because i ride it more than i ever did my old bike, and push myself harder on it.

Also a serious EMTB is a serious MTB, if you don't know what you are doing, and don't have the skills to ride the terrain, you are going to get in trouble pretty quickly - if you ride the terrain these bikes are designed for and don't have the fitness or skills, your on a one way trip to a & e
Spot on there, that's exactly what I have come to learn from having my 1st emtb, the one and only Specialized Kenevo

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
I really have not gotten much flak from anyone.. people most of the time don't realize it is a emtb. When the conversation comes to the “e” aspect of it, a few jokes are cracked but nothing harsh, so far atleast. What i do find is a lot of people do not want to try it, “nah, not for me, oh no ebikes are nothing i want etc” i think they are scared they will like it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have had a fair few people say they are scared to try it in case they like it too.

Most people I meet want one, or are really interested in it - I find myself giving lots of test rides!

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Most people are impressed by the bike and curious/interested.
A few have said "it's cheating" but just to fucked with me, as a joke.

Only 2 roadies that live nearby are kinda mocking me and the bike. They're in Lycra playing around on a Sunday morning while I'm coming back from a 11hours night shift with a lil' woods detour in mind :whistle:.

By night everyone's just care about my lasers and lumens output. the emtb becomes invisible.

I'm vegan and I vape so I'm used to the internet telling me I'm an asshole :D. EMTB fits just right. Can't wait to find the next thing that people hate and making it my thing.

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Ok. Not as old as some of the bikes on here but here is my old Specialized Rockhopper Comp circa 2001. I used to ride quite a bit back then, never heard of a trail back then, just used ride out on Salisbury plain. Just been doing it up for my son who's 11 to ride with me. We rode out to Swinley from Camberley on Sunday and he went rode part of the blue route then back to Camberley and he managed 9.5 miles all together.
I let him have a go on my Haibike up a hill and of course he loved it. Getting on the old Rockhopper while he rode mine was funny. The bars felt so narrow and the bike generally to small.
Haven't met any haters yet and as for being for lazy people, I did the ride we did on Sunday yesterday but all of the blue route any a quick zip round the green at the end, 99% done in eco mode too. When I got back to Camberley I had done 15.1 miles (14.5) according to Strava (which is right?) and I'll be honest I knew I had done it but I enjoyed every second of it.
20181120_150108.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On my clockwork bike one day, I was grinding my way up the local red trail (I struggle with my knees these days) when I heard someone behind me coming up faster than me. I heard him say "coming through!" I thought "OK, he's faster than me, fair enough". So I moved over from the best line to give him some passing room. The sod was on an eBike and he went blasting past! I confess to feeling a bit miffed.

What is the trail etiquette here when eBikes and clockworks ones are on the same trail?
In my view, on climbs, the rider with the eBike should cede the best line to the clockwork bike, only passing where the rider in front either moves over, or there is plenty of room.

If I am faster than another rider, I expect to pass them sooner or later. But I will not bully my way past or "expect" anything. If the rider shows no sign of having heard me, I will make my presence known with a buzz of the hub, or a discrete cough. Failing that, I will ask if I may pass on the right/left. I hope that doesn't change once I'm riding an eBike!

That guy that passed me on the climb may well have been faster on a clockwork bike too. And he may still have been an arse, but what I remember is that he was on an eBike. In the way that all riders should be courteous to other legitimate trail users, so should eBikers be.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...What is the trail etiquette here when eBikes and clockworks ones are on the same trail? In my view, on climbs, the rider with the eBike should cede the best line to the clockwork bike, only passing where the rider in front either moves over, or there is plenty of room.

If I am faster than another rider, I expect to pass them sooner or later. But I will not bully my way past or "expect" anything. If the rider shows no sign of having heard me, I will make my presence known with a buzz of the hub, or a discrete cough. Failing that, I will ask if I may pass on the right/left. I hope that doesn't change once I'm riding an eBike!
I don't think there are enough ebikes out there yet for any real etiquette to have emerged, but I like your suggestion. Ultimately though it's about ensuring your enjoyment doesn't spoil anyone elses - common sense should be enough. This also counts the other way too - in the summer I saw a guy on an ebike getting stick for riding it at a local trail centre, so I went over, asked him about his bike and rode with him a while to show not all analog riders live in the stone age. He seemed both surprised and appreciative, which is a bit sad really given he had every right to be there.

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
How you pass bikes on a climb is IMO what defines our reputation . The quickest way to annoy someone working hard on a climb is passing them rudely on an ebike in boost . Turn it down to eco , if you can’t pass then you shouldn’t and when you do you will at least be working at a reasonable rate and not passing at a speed that makes them look up and shout cheat . That’s what I do , although some will think it’s a sport to pass fast and rude . Show your speed on the downhill where it’s you not the bike , if you can

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I was just chastised on a local So. California mountain bike forum for posting a nice writeup on my E-bike purchase and adventures. I was told, "what were you thinking posting that stuff on a hard core mountain bike forum. Go find an E-bike forum and share that stuff there", so I agreed, and here I am.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I’ve had a couple of ‘Your on a cheater bike’ comments on the trail.

I use Rob’s line: ‘Great fun though!’

They have always nodded in agreement :)

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
Funny, guys have always cheated. They would pay an extra $5000+ to shave off 2 lbs with an all carbon fiber MTB so they could beat their buddies up a hill. Only the wealthy could cheat to the max. We're all cheaters, it just became cheaper to cheat and the purists are jealous, sometimes militantly, but it will be temporarily. Eventually they will ALL come around to buy an ebike when they try out their buddy's ebike and discover you can still get a workout, adjusted by yourself, and open up all kinds of new terrain you would otherwise avoid.

This reminds me of the DOS purists in the 80's when new technology called Microsoft Windows came out for PCs. DOS users would call the Windows users incompetent weenies because they didn't know DOS command line interface. In a short time Windows passed up all DOS apps for ease of use in business and home utility, and then DOS died a quick death. Who's laughing now?

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
The only hatred I've had is from mates, all the people I've met out on the trails have been either positive about it, or interested to hear more. The mates are not convinced until they ride it, then they do the ebike laugh and decide they want one.

Although I had a mate trying to prove a point at the weekend, cranking it uphill after me and pushing me down the trail...I'm not a great rider, but think I made the point ok :)
The mates I used to ride with know it all. Those are now the jealous folks on the ol’ time regular MTB’s that I know would never acknowledge how great the emtb is to my face, but of course they have no idea. As usual, they know everything just like I know how to build another universe, they are missing out on all the fun going uphill. They are only getting about 15% as much fun. They are doing alright. Experts they are, know it all genius riders.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
The only one of my group to go E even though we're all in our mid 50s. Got the usual light hearted banter until I passed them all downhill. All have ridden my Levo since and all have said they will be getting one next when their current steeds r up for replacement. First one is just chopping his Whyte 160 in for a Levo now

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
On the trails I'm very mindful of how an ebike can come across, so I'm always passing at a reasonable time on climbs and pulling over to let regular riders climb past on two way tracks (best avoided anyway). Only had one smart comment so far that I was being lazy and cheating, but when I came back with "not when I've got heart failure" I got a muttered apology.

Oldb**tard

Mar 29, 2022
MTB riders saying E-MTB riders are lazy, old, won’t get fit and more money than sense!!! I don’t know I am not fit, I know I am not you doing but I went out today for the first ride on my new Kenevo, didn’t do any downhill or anything as just wanted to go for a ride, first time I have been on a bike for years. I did 15 miles this morning and loved every turn or the pedal... then you tell people what you did and how you enjoy it and all you get is “ it’s easy to do 15 miles on an ebike, you’ll never get fit on one of those” what is their problem??
There have been at least two studies I've heard/read about that thoroughly debunk the idiotic notion that one can't get proper exercise on an e-bike. It is often not as intensive as riding an acoustic, but heart rates go up significantly and muscles get strained, and that's what many of us are going for, just on a typically more protracted scale. I can count on one hand the number of 20+mile rides I did all those years (2 decades +) on acoustic bikes, now my buds and I regularly do 25 miles with 3k-4k feet of climbing.

Don't pay the detractors any attention, they are only trying to bolster their own egos. It makes no difference to them, whatsoever, why or how you choose to exercise; it doesn't affect them at all.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The Ebike nay sayers are the same ilk who laughed at V brakes, then Sus forks, at Disc brakes and even 29er wheels. When I hear them criticize on forums, i do wonder if they even own a bike.

Another Onza classic, wore out after two rides mind!

9580311.jpg
Yup, totally rubbish, and now worth at least £100 each, even if they're manky and cracked and otherwise falling to bits. No bad return on a £14.99 tyre.
And how did we ever actually stop with canti brakes! o_O
We didn't, well not exactly, more a bit of scrub off of speed. The trick was you could look at the turn 50m ahead and then yank on the brakes as hard as you could, hoping by the time you got to the turn you'd be moving slow enough to take it.
What usually happened was you'd still overshoot and end up in the bushes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles