I almost got trench foot!

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Went out on my new ebike yesterday and got absolutely drenched, it was great :giggle:
Anyway I got home and I was soaked head to toe and absolutely caked in mud, my shoes were that bad I had to take them into the shower (not while I was wearing them) and give them a clean down then stuck them on a radiator.
I was thinking, surely there must be a solution to this or is it just part of the fun of being a mountain biker?
I've got some Sealskins socks knocking about somewhere but it was the gallons of water in my shoes which was the problem.
So how do you get around it?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Hard to really. Water, even with sealskins or waterproof trousers, filters down to your shoes.

Northwave do a waterproof shoe, I don't know how good it is for this. Sealskins will still allow your feet to get 'wet' but will keep them warm rather like a wetsuit.

There are also gators but these end up more hassle than they are worth IMHO.

Sadly wet feet in the winter is all part of the fun!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The problem with boots and shoes is that no matter how waterproof they are, they have a big hole at the top that lets in the water!
I just buy the best shoes for grip and comfort and wear a Sealskinz waterproof sock. That means that I have to buy a larger size of shoe. The Sealskinz I buy have a rubbery grip on the inside of the sock at the top that stops water coming down my leg. They have a fancy name for it, something like "Hydrostop!" or similar. It works.
My Sealskinz go in the wash at 40degC with all my other non-DWR kit after every ride. Eventually they succumb to pedal strikes, bramble rips,etc. and lose their waterproof-ness.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Shimano MW5 winter boots with Merino socks. Bought them mid summer and still like new in their 3rd winter. They have a neoprene cuff which you can cinch up but you can still get a little water in if you try hard enough. They are well insulated and this along with the socks keeps my feet pretty cosy.

Reactions: njn

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Mud in the shower just reminded me of a term I recently discovered ... “waffle stomping” ?

I had a horrible thought that I'd be right when I looked that up ..

said the other day “ That guy is a waffle stomper”

It really is no way for a daughter to describe her father.... has this been a life long thing or just recently brought on by 1.2 frustration ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I had a horrible thought that I'd be right when I looked that up ..
So you discovered you have been doing it wrong all this time by using your forehead ?

It really is no way for a daughter to describe her father.... has this been a life long thing or just recently brought on by 1.2 frustration ?

Now I know you are easily confused so I’ll speak slowly and loudly for you. THE DAUGHTER WAS NOT REFERRING TO HER FATHER, ie ME !
And Let me tell you, that 1.2 hasn’t got enough power to Waffle Stomp. ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
my shoes were that bad I had to take them into the shower
Your thread has officially been waffle stomped down the gurgeller

I think @outerlimits is trying to give you his no.1 winter riding tip without saying it directly ..

Just dump in your shoes before you ride to keep your feet warm, then enjoy a good waffle stomp at the end to get the circulation back.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I think @outerlimits is trying to give you his no.1 winter riding tip without saying it directly ..

Just dump in your shoes before you ride to keep your feet warm, then enjoy a good waffle stomp at the end to get the circulation back.
I think winter happened on a Tuesday here ?
Anyways.,.. why shit in your shoes when you can shit in someone else’s. ?‍♂️

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Just back from a ride totally soaked and cold. Feet and shins reacted badly to warm shower, could do with a solution for this.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just back from a ride totally soaked and cold. Feet and shins reacted badly to warm shower, could do with a solution for this.

Despite his professional sounding advice, I'd avoid trying anything @outerlimits has suggested. For starters, unless you're a plumber, you're going to be looking at some big bills down the line and if you have a podiatrist, you won't have them for long.

I think seal skin socks have been suggested, the gaiters linked by @Doomanic are supposed to work well. Mentioned in previous posts were also the Aldi waterproof socks, when they have them in, are supposed to be as good or better than the seal skins.

I wore my waterproof walking boots today, which were fine until I went for an early bath and then I just had two small buckets of water attached to my feet for the rest of the ride.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
was wet out today too on the TL. Motor and Battery seemed to survive though.
Sidi Diablo boots will keep all water out except when it is over the top as today. Merino socks for warmth and Fox trousers.
IMG_0914.jpg

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Went out on my new ebike yesterday and got absolutely drenched, it was great :giggle:
Anyway I got home and I was soaked head to toe and absolutely caked in mud, my shoes were that bad I had to take them into the shower (not while I was wearing them) and give them a clean down then stuck them on a radiator.
I was thinking, surely there must be a solution to this or is it just part of the fun of being a mountain biker?
I've got some Sealskins socks knocking about somewhere but it was the gallons of water in my shoes which was the problem.
So how do you get around it?
I have exactly the same problem.....just got back this morning and poured the water out of my "waterproof" boots. They are fully waterproof, Norwegian and rubbery but the water pours in over the top.I wear Sealskin socks that are soaked through as well.
I am just looking at motor cycle enduro waterproof boots as they are a lot higher and my over trousers will go over them.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Despite his professional sounding advice, I'd avoid trying anything @outerlimits has suggested. For starters, unless you're a plumber, you're going to be looking at some big bills down the line and if you have a podiatrist, you won't have them for long.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Aldi waterproof socks, when they have them in, are supposed to be as good or better than the seal skins.
I checked them out last time they were in store and they aren't a patch on the Sealskinz; thinner and no Hydrostop so any water that runs down your legs just ends up in the socks.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm surprised that Aldi didn't arrange for some free drainage holes in the sole of the socks to allow all the water to drain out, problem solved!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles