I almost got trench foot!

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Despite his professional sounding advice, I'd avoid trying anything @outerlimits has suggested. For starters, unless you're a plumber, you're going to be looking at some big bills down the line and if you have a podiatrist, you won't have them for long.

I think seal skin socks have been suggested, the gaiters linked by @Doomanic are supposed to work well. Mentioned in previous posts were also the Aldi waterproof socks, when they have them in, are supposed to be as good or better than the seal skins.

I wore my waterproof walking boots today, which were fine until I went for an early bath and then I just had two small buckets of water attached to my feet for the rest of the ride.
Cheers Gone for some of the gaiters @Doomanic recommended - I hope they don’t make me crash more though ??

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Cheers Gone for some of the gaiters @Doomanic recommended - I hope they don’t make me crash more though ??
Over here in Oz, it’s the Gaitors that keep us out of the water, not allow us to play in the water ?‍♂️. Tho we do call them Crocodile’s over here.

29520969-22AE-458D-B242-E18F632B1D1A.jpeg

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Do you need to prepare any gator bites when going tubeless? Up in the north even the snakes are sometimes hungry despite all the snow in the winter.
That’s the least of your worries if one of those gets a hold of you.
It’s Spring here and it’s snowing in the south and burning in the North ?‍♂️ and the snakes, spiders and pretty much anything will kill you. Even some of our birds have killed before ?

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
That’s the least of your worries if one of those gets a hold of you.
It’s Spring here and it’s snowing in the south and burning in the North ?‍♂️ and the snakes, spiders and pretty much anything will kill you. Even some of our birds have killed before ?
I think you need a Levociraptor to stay away from gators and other beasts.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Speaking of 'gators.
I was in the USA in 2018 on the islands that form the coast of South Carolina. Lots of alligators there, lots of them! The locals are so used to them that I saw this sign sticking out of the water next to the path around the small lake. Immediately behind me was a children's play area!
Alligators live here.jpg

YIKES! Can you imagine the reaction in the UK?

We would come out of our (borrowed) plantation style house, the sort that is on stilts, and it would not be unusual to find an alligator on the lawn. They used to eat the deer that were plentiful in that area. The alligators also infest the ponds on the golf course. Lots of signs saying do not retrieve your ball from the water, even if you can see it. One tight golfist lost an arm to a 6' alligator. And there are much bigger ones than that! I saw a bigger one sunning itself on the path when out on my bike!!!!
If the alligators are in a place where they are not wanted (that's what the locals say - I say everywhere is where they are not wanted!), the fire brigade come out and harass them into returning to the water.
I suppose you can get used to anything in time. (But siting the kid's play area next to an alligator lake....WHY FFS?) :unsure::eek:

JCB

Oct 7, 2019
Burnie, Tasmania
The Vaude over shoes seems to be the best solution so far.
But anyone here has tried motorcycle boots ?
I am thinking ADV waterproof or maybe light moto trials?
I like the idea of extra ankle protection after seeing the photo of the broken ankle posted in the other thread...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles