I almost fear the responses already ;-)

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
So as normal I been watching the latest EMBN vids & I thought this one interesting

Here.

Now I immediately thought about some of the more abrasive members on here pushing their points of view (which I sometimes agree with & sometimes don't) & a certain someone saying they are going to change X & Y on a new bike to set it up to their style of riding before having tried the stock setup.

You know what, if you know how to ride & more importantly how you like to ride then maybe the latest trends are of no benefit to you :p

I was particularly happy that Adam cut his bars down to 740mm (y) but I guess it also applies to wider rubber, more travel etc :devilish:

Above all each to there own & please play nicely on the forums, your right maybe someone else wrong :love:

Cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don’t quite see you point? If referring to Gary he really doesn’t care about what people have as a set up, and in terms of his own set up it’s probably about as unfashionable in regards to current trends as you can get.

I can look at most bikes and know what I would change out the box before riding it, and most bikes of mine a lot of parts go in the spares bin/eBay straight out the box. That come from knowing what I like though, and what I want from a bike.

In the case of the YT I can tell you the plus tyre on the back would be straight off, along with the stem, bars and saddle.

Brayton’s bike is pretty much what we would all do if money no object, in that he has got it just how he wants it, and that’s at the end of the day what all of us want, a bike that works for us.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Brayton’s bike is pretty much what we would all do if money no object, in that he has got it just how he wants it, and that’s at the end of the day what all of us want, a bike that works for us.
That was my initial point, yes he has it as he wants it, but with narrower bars, smaller tyres etc, I'm 100% sure it works for him, it bloody well ought to with his resources ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pretty sure the tyres he has are the stock sizes, the Vitus doesn’t come with Plus Tyres.

The only standard parts on his bike are the frame, E8000 motor and battery, rear mech/shifter and the cranks.

Everything else has been swapped out.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Everything else has been swapped out.
Yes, to his liking. I'm sure he could choose to fit whichever tyres he wanted, maybe I should of pointed at the wheels as I'm sure one of his sponsors would give him umpteen sets of carbon wheels but he chose reliable over bling.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think one of the reason he has his bars at that length is he is not the biggest fella. Lots of pros choose alloy over carbon, its a horses for courses situation, I personally am not a fan of carbon wheels, and certainly not for the terrain in his neck of the woods!

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Well, he is sponsored by Hope, so I'm guessing some of the changes are to get his sponsors stuff on the bike. Yes, he sets it up as he likes but some of the stock components had to go regardless.

As for the set up, I've mentioned several times I ended up at 750mm and I have had no negative comments from anyone on the forums. I think the overwhelming comments have been that you need to get your bike set up for you and your riding. And as someone who came back after 15 years away I've appreciated the push towards trying newer technology such as tubeless set ups etc.

Gordon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I run 760mm on my hardtail as I tend to ride it on tighter twister trails, that in the summer get very overgrown and wide bars get constantly caught up in brambles etc, whereas I run 800 on my FS and Enduro bikes, as I like the leverage

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I remember I once showed up to a mountain bike race with a 15 year old bike with only a front brake and a 640mm handlebar. I was actually hoping someone would comment on my bike but no one seemed to care. Lol. Anyways I finish middle of the pack in the advanced field so not really good or bad... but I had a really good time and blame my results more on my fitness then anything. No point to the story really other then I probably wouldn't have remembered the race had it not been for my clapped out bike and the fun I had on it

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
& a certain someone saying they are going to change X & Y on a new bike to set it up to their style of riding before having tried the stock setup.
Don't be shy now...
Just say who you're talking about.
In my mind NOT changing set-up on a £4k+ bike to suit the rider is somewhat retarded.
This can be as simple as setting up bar roll, stem height, controls positioning, brake lever reach/bite point. seatpost height and saddle position/angle. suspension settings and tyre pressures. or it can mean swapping out major parts entirely and altering geometry (anglesets, offset bushings, custom shock lengths, fork A-C height and wheelsize) I'm an ex-DHer and ex-DH mechanic so going this far with set-up is second nature to me.
I'm amazed at how many folk have that sort of money to spend on a push bike and have no clue how to set it up. amazed but not surprised.

As for Adam. He cut his DH teeth riding SDAs at Innerleithen so like anyone who was around that scene I've been aware of him, his talent and balls out style since he was just a kid. He's only a wee guy though (5'8") so his bars on an enduro bike will naturally be shorter.
I wouldn't be surprised if his bars on his DH bike aren't slightly wider though seeing as DH WCs are a lot faster and open than the UK riding he does.
Most of the rest of his set up is sponsor driven. but he's not a dumb ass. he's not going to fit a part because a sponsor wants it on there if it's not to his taste. (He's been supported by Hope for a very long time Ohlins less so)
A 2.5" tyre isn't narrow it's what size WINS DH races FFS!. and at 5'8" a 740mm bar isn't exactly narrow. and the hope grips he has fitted have endcaps located in the collar so overhang the bar by a good 5mm at least increasing the actual bar width (also note Adam's hand position like a lot of DH riders is also to hold onto the outer portion of his grips)
Too narrow bars reduce stability at speed too wide bars cause fatigue.
It's all just personal preference and we all have a sweet spot. but intended use and where you ride also plays a part in chosing width.

Your bike set-up shouldn't have anything to do with trends. It should be the appropriate choice for you and your riding (style, level, terrain, discipline)
No DHer uses plus tyres (for very good reason).
no one on here is going as fast through rough technical terrain as any of the top 80 WC DH racers (Adam is top 25) or top 80 EWS racers

Pretty odd thread TBH

someone saying they are going to change X & Y on a new bike to set it up to their style of riding before having tried the stock setup.
and what makes you think the member you're alluding to hasn't tried ALL the things (Geometry/angles, wheelsize, tyres, suspension travel) they plan on altering and swapping out parts on the a bike they've chosen to buy?
It's simply personal preference.

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Don't be shy now...
Just say who you're talking about.
I wasn't trying to make this about you, you're quite capable ;)

A 2.5" tyre isn't narrow it's what size WINS DH races FFS!
I never said it was.

Your bike set-up shouldn't have anything to do with trends. It should be the appropriate choice for you and your riding (style, level, terrain, discipline)
I think I said that already.

Pretty odd thread TBH
It seems that way now but I think the initial intentions & post were all good until it got into a discussion & people started to interpret the initial post.

and what makes you think the member you're alluding to hasn't tried ALL the things (Geometry/angles, wheelsize, tyres, suspension travel) they plan on altering and swapping out parts on the a bike they've chosen to buy?
It's simply personal preference.
I assume you had, or at least most of them, I believe I said initially
Above all each to there own & please play nicely on the forums, your right maybe someone else wrong

Ho hum.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's cool man.

Whoever you were referring to. I'm pretty sure they have a thick enough skin to deal with it

;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles