I’ve been told not to?! .......

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
So yesterday I took delivery of a brand new Whyte e180 RS, I have ordered an invisiframe kit but tomorrow my mates are having a socially distanced ride out at a place I’ve wanted to ride for months! Do I miss the first ride and wait to protect the frame as much as possible? Hummm??
Or do I just go as it’s a bike and it’s what it’s for, gunna be put in a car and get scuffed and dinged at some point?! What’s your thoughts? I’m itching to get out

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My bike seems to have developed its own thick protective coating and i didn’t even have to pay anything for it.

26E1FA85-24CF-4134-8540-70FD5D0B597D.jpeg

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Get yourself out, my new bike gets delivered in the next hour according to dpd . Its actually a relief when the newness gets worn off the bike. I'm more paranoid about opening the thing up and checking for delivery damage at the moment. Once that's out the way its getting checked over/ tubeless set up then its getting dirty.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I put some AMS frame protection on my bike but took it off after a few days as I did not like the look of it. It's also very difficult to get it on straight, even and without bubbles.

Unless you are really, really concerned about resale value I would get out and ride. Even the retaining value assertion is probably arguable.

Al

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Go ride!! I just use one of the many frame protector kits to protect the most vulnerable parts of the bike to stone chips. About £20 and 20 minutes to apply. Underneath the down tube, the back of the seat tube, the rear triangle cross stay. In fact a lot of bikes come with some protection in those areas already.

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
But yeah reckon you’re all right...... bikes are for riding not taking photos of ? I’ll be as careful as I can but it’s all the nature of the beast I guess! Battle scars are stories after all!

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Get out there and ride it!

Just be really careful putting it in the car, get some old blankets so it doesn't get damaged in the car.

I put a coat of car wax on the frame which helps with light scratches or even a better of Mr Sheen on a duster to keep the frame super polished so the mud and crap just slide off ?

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
Yep so that’s it, decision is made to go and break it in tomorrow with the gang! Set all my suspension to stock settings as a base so if nothing else it’ll help me with set-up! First proper session with a full group of e-bikes! Some good riders aswell so hopefully keep pace

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never used Invisframe; to be honest I'm just too tight to pay the £100 or so. Yes, I know, after paying thousands for the bike, why jib at another £100? But you have to draw the line somewhere.

But I never take the bike out mtb'ing until I've added some protection somewhere; like @Mikerb says in post #8

Why? Because I bought a brand new Kona Dawg Deluxe in 2010 and got paint chips all over it on my first ride out. And I couldn't get matching paint either. Those mismatched paint spots glared at me for the next three years and once I'd put some bike tape on, I never got another chip anywhere again.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
So yesterday I took delivery of a brand new Whyte e180 RS, I have ordered an invisiframe kit but tomorrow my mates are having a socially distanced ride out at a place I’ve wanted to ride for months! Do I miss the first ride and wait to protect the frame as much as possible? Hummm??
Or do I just go as it’s a bike and it’s what it’s for, gunna be put in a car and get scuffed and dinged at some point?! What’s your thoughts? I’m itching to get out
I put mine on after about 2 months of ownership .. already had several dings but worthwhile as a lot less dings since ( rocks always find the unframed bits anyways when I fall off ) .

In other words .. ride it and worry about the invisiframe afterwards.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Carbon bikes I do, alloy not even though my kenevo came already done which was a bonus.
I threw an invisframed carbon Santa Cruz down a rocky decent in morzine and it scuffed hell out the tape but didn't go through and damage the frame. I was mightily relieved.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This thread got me thinking about my real reason why I spend time and money on protecting the bike frame from chips and scratches. I concluded that in the end it was about getting a better price or a faster sale when the time comes.

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
So bit the bullet and went to Forest of Dean today on the new ride with no invisiframe....... and WOW! What a bike! Who cares about a couple of light scuffs from car loading and whatnot! Absolutely awesome piece of kit! (After the second run that is when I remembered to open the rear shock ??‍)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles