Hydraulic gears ?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
This looks interesting Not sure about the argument for 1x on road bikes or even the need for thirteen gears but I like the idea of hydraulic instead of cables in many ways , with a few negative thoughts too Mainly track side repairs perhaps not so easy , or perhaps not required we hope ?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I wonder with the increased torque we're seeing in the new crop of motors, at what point will mtb drivetrains no longer be able to take the load? Either failing, or wearing out really fast. It seems gearbox bikes could be the next big thing, or a combined motor and transmission, there are some small guys playing with the concept, but none of the big players yet.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Gearbox motor is where it will end up with ebikes - think the Honda gearbox DH bike but with a motor

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
We need to get the derallier hanging gubbins higher up away from the ground .
Silly question ..could the mechanism be mounted above the cassett? Must have alook in the morning.
Trouble with EMTB development is I now want another bike.......:LOL:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Main issue is theres not one nailed down best system/bike combo as yet, which means every new sparkly e-bike that hits the market gets one attention

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Continental are bringing out an automatic ebike motor with integrated CVP gearbox

Continental Bicycle Systems - 48V Revolution

“This shifiting technology is already know of the NuVinci Harmony hub gear. To consider experience values for the development of a motor-gearbox-combination, Continental cooperated with NuVinci (NuVinci Optimized). The result is an optimal symbiosis of gearing and drive, which makes the 48V Revolution a unique drive solution for eBikes”

BDCABCBC-0DCF-444B-88CD-4C302061A749.jpeg

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Didn't shimano demo a hydraulic mech about 15 years ago?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I sort of remember different variations showing up here and there over the years, I wouldn't be surprised.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Just watched that video so I felt like sharing it here

:eek:

I just have to say it: WOWWWWW loved the idea, it's a very strange concept but it must work so gooddd and without a chain to break or derailleur to bent. The cassete must also have much less weight than a normal cassete. What give me the chills is no more FRAGILE and EXPOSED REAR derailleur needed!!

I see lots of advantages in this system - one of them some serious weight reduction - and I can't see any disadvantage other than only working on hardtails and being a little weird, but that would just go away with time.

Last edited:

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Just back from very rutted / overgrown ride with deraillieur full of dirt and undergrowth and showing signs of “rut hit”
This system is long overdue.
I would seriously look at investing in this.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Imagine binning it and that rear drive landing on your leg while it's still running... :sick:

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
I would not want a rear hub gearsystem. I like being able to change wheels. An intergrated gearbox and motor sounds like the way forward to me. Oh and belt drives.

Another downside to deraileurs is this btw:
(Not mine, just saw it today on imgur)
3393155D-3B6C-4D3B-BA3B-A21239D11BE9.jpeg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
You can with this one: Products - Kindernay
That looks good , still some problems reading the spec , 28 spokes , and no mention of a boost width . Be good if they made a 10 speed version , for ebikes , The whole Bike industry seems to trying to fit entire gear trains into the rear these days , 1x is the buzz word in bike spec , which works for e bikes and enduro but not all the other bikes inc road bikes they are trying to apply it to .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wouldn't want a rear hub on an MTB, too much unsprung mass. Holy grail of MTB design, not just E-Mtb, its a light weight BB Gearbox that removes the need for gear systems hanging off the back of the bike, and takes all the mass out of that area too

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
This is the worst durailure problem I’ve had this year , I do love the dirty doggy walkers ?
4743FBC7-C3D5-4165-99A2-A8704014F64E.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My father in law had a Bergamnont E-Ville DI2 - It has a bosch motor paired with DI2 Alfine hub out the back, fully integrated into the bosch system - in terms of a riding experience it is awesome, obviously not going to work on an E-Mtb but the combination of the motor and a gearbox type shifting system is so smooth in use, and pretty much zero maintenance on the drivetrain compared to a normal derailleur. You really do just get on it and ride and not think about what going on underneath you.

IMG_8756.jpg

V86

Jul 13, 2018
Norway
That looks good , still some problems reading the spec , 28 spokes , and no mention of a boost width . Be good if they made a 10 speed version , for ebikes , The whole Bike industry seems to trying to fit entire gear trains into the rear these days , 1x is the buzz word in bike spec , which works for e bikes and enduro but not all the other bikes inc road bikes they are trying to apply it to .

Going from 8 to 10 wouldn’t make that much of a different and only add extra unsprung weight. The range is still in the 5-600% range, so there’s probably a gear for any situation.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Boost spacing is available, however, I'd be more concerned about the price...

£930 + VAT! :eek:
Price doesn’t surprise me , isn’t di2 a similar cost . It’s more than I would pay but if it’s part of a package from a sensibly priced bike manufacturer may not be too bad , as said above I would prefer the wieght more centralised . I think any durailure alternative will become obsolete in the early years of development .

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal

On the gallery they mention a 148x12 version. But true, a centralized version right next or inside the central motor is a better option.

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
That mubea has some interesting tech! I'm very curious to see how gearboxes will be implemented. The ion is a rohloff rear hub, would be a bit expensive when changing wheels.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The main issue with most if not all current gearbox systems, either bb or hub mounted, is that you cant change gear under load. Irrelevant of the motor, the moment someone comes up with a relatively lightweight BB base gearbox that can shift under load, and doesn't rely on a grip shift type shifter, it will change the MTB industry overnight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles