Hybrid 140 vs 160

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Hello,
need advices.
Any advantage on 140 vs 160?
Just thinking in e-bike the more travel the better!?

Ggx

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
There maybe other differences as well, looking at the Stereo 120/140 for example, one has 27.5" wheels while the other is 29" on all frames except small. Also one is 10 speed the other 11 speed, as well as other subtle differences. Which model are you looking at? What terrain are you going to use it on?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I never bought in to the "go eBike - go big" argument. That was before I had ever ridden one. Now I have ridden more than a few and my mind has not been swayed. Geometry and fitness for purpose matter.

Compare the geometry of those two bikes, there are probably differences in important stuff like head angle, front centre, reach and stack (it's all important, I just picked those). And despite you having a motor, there is no need to deliberately take on extra weight. Even with a motor, weight matters. At the very least it means that your range will go up on a lighter bike.

In summary, buy a bike that suits your riding. If you currently ride twisty trails through the woods, or technical XC stuff, then don't get a 160mm bike designed for Enduro events. If you ride the Peaks and Bike Park Wales blacks on a frequent basis then by all means go big, but don't expect to enjoy the other end of the trial riding experience quite as much as you might do now.

bikerider007

Nov 7, 2018
Norfolk
I have the 160 it's fantastic and has coped with everything I can throw at it.. My riding is very varied from flat slow climbs ie Norfolk to afan forest yesterday.. For 20mm I don't think that's going to made a huge difference.. I'd go 160.. again least you know you've got it if ya need it.. They built like tanks by the way..

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
I might have this one wrong, but I would differ, most people don’t need 160 / 170 travel and would be better of with 130 /140 travel
.....( “Incoming, Hard hats on” ) .....
Do we all “ Hoon” about giving it big air of massive jumps .... Answer.... no
Then why o why do we lust after the macho image of big hit bikes?...hey if you need one go for it ( 10+ years ago I was into this sort of thing.)
A 14O bike can handle your average jumps with ease, with the benefit of less weight ( not much I grant you) less extreme geometry change, better single track performance, I reckon 90 % of riders reading this would overall be better on a 130 / 140 bike.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
^^^
No truer words were ever spoken...

And this too:

And despite you having a motor, there is no need to deliberately take on extra weight. Even with a motor, weight matters. At the very least it means that your range will go up on a lighter bike.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
More food for thougth
from Cube data race specs size 16´´ (I know I m a small guy :-o but big in the ... heart ) 140 vs 160 :
24,3Kg / 23,9Kg ( so 140 a tad eavier !?)
reack 400 / 410
stack 597 / 616
seat angle 74 / 74,3
head angle 67,3 / 65,8
Fox 34 Rythm / RockShox Yari RC

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I had the luck to to a short experimente on both.
I decided for the one I feelt more matched and at ease.
For some reason and feeling it was the 160. In the 140 I didn´t felt the same click !!!

Last edited:

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
why not the 140tm, its 150 up front, 140 in back..
Yes, on paper the 140 TM bike seem extrelemly balanced and great value for money. I have tried the 160 Action team several times and loved it (Except for the resistance of the bosch motor on straights). However, I think the 140TM is a great spec (150mm Performance elite e-bike suspension, MT7 brakes), more trail geometry and a very solid all round bike. Finally, the color comb on the 140 TM looks great. Perhaps the best looking bike in the line-up? Haven't tried it though, I think they just came out a few weeks ago!

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I have the luck to to a short experimente on both.
I decided for the one I feelt more matched and at ease.
For some reason and feeling it was the 160. In the 140 I didnt felt the same click !!!
I felt the same as you, but I am looking forward to trying the 140TM as previously mentioned...

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
It depends how much you weigh also - I am 14 stone and on my Fox 36 160s I cant set the sag correct as I am on the minimum air in them and if I go any lower then the forks dont fully extend (apart from when the front of the bike is off the ground) - not sure if this can be corrected with spacers?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It depends how much you weigh also - I am 14 stone and on my Fox 36 160s I cant set the sag correct as I am on the minimum air in them and if I go any lower then the forks dont fully extend (apart from when the front of the bike is off the ground) - not sure if this can be corrected with spacers?
I run the same fork, and weigh the same with all my kit on, and have no problem setting the sag correctly, think I have it just over 90 psi, 1 token

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Do you have any air trapped the wrong side of the seals? Get a 4mm zip tie and dip the sharp end in wet lube, then ease it down the stanchion past the seal on the air side, until the wider section of the tie is past the seal. You might hear a hiss, you might not (I didn't). Check the fork to see what has happened. That should release any trapped air that is causing the problem.

The above advice is not based upon any fundamental understanding of fork design, just that it happened to me on some Pikes and someone noticed and told me what to do. I pass on the advice free of charge (and without liability! :LOL:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles