Hunting 2020 model, trek, haibike or other..... suggestions?

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Personally I would stick to conventional forks. All the hype about USD forks on MX bikes had me cracking up as I tested hundreds of hours and from long years experience the best fork outside of 1-off custom works forks (and that is debateable) was the conventional forks on the 88 RM250. I know some good local pros that have moved them from bike to bike with new triple clamps and find they are better than most current forks.

I quite agree with you, but the OP has said wants USD’s on his next bike.

Big Wheelie

Jul 31, 2019
UK
My good friend just went through this process with the same thoughts. He demoed everything he could and decided nothing but a top-level Levo would do for like $9,000 USD. Then I got a Giant Trance E+1 on closeout for $3,800 and he tried it out and loved it and bought one. Turns out the difference wasn't that significant in the end. His revised thinking is that the technology is changing pretty fast and even if you spend big, whatever you get will be obsolete in 2 years.

For me, I've also got a 2017 Haibike with almost 2,000 miles on it and it's getting pretty trashed. Motors last about 5,000 from what I understand. I'll probably have replaced everything but the motor by the time that comes around. Got that bike on a closeout sale as well and glad I didn't pay more.
Specialized will never see my money, way too much overpriced bikes, plus I don't like the shape of their non simmetrical frame ?, Giant always attracted me but I'm looking for bosch gen4 with kiox or flyon TQ120 motors, not Yamaha.

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Specialized will never see my money, way too much overpriced bikes, plus I don't like the shape of their non simmetrical frame ?, Giant always attracted me but I'm looking for bosch gen4 with kiox or flyon motors, not Yamaha.
The new 2020 Cubes have a Kiox mount in a similar position to the Shimano one, just left of the stem. Definitely a big Plus for me. Sticking up so high on the center stem seemed like a recepie for disaster.
How often on a ride / trip have you turned the bike upside down do work on tyres / wheels / Deralier. The normal Kiox position even with removed display was too high for doing that.

Big Wheelie

Jul 31, 2019
UK
The new 2020 Cubes have a Kiox mount in a similar position to the Shimano one, just left of the stem. Definitely a big Plus for me. Sticking up so high on the center stem seemed like a recepie for disaster.
How often on a ride / trip have you turned the bike upside down do work on tyres / wheels / Deralier. The normal Kiox position even with removed display was too high for doing that.
Dunno about cube.... Them models don't have my full attention, maybe new models like you said... We'll see(obviously if cube shoots 6k+ I'm gonna go for haibike tho)

Big Wheelie

Jul 31, 2019
UK
Not much at all. Like all tires it is a case of selecting a pattern/profile/case compound to suit your riding area and style.
I just don't like them. Period. Plus those freaking silly names ?(ffs I'll never ride something with written on top "magic Mary" "rapid Rob" or "flying suppository" iykwim)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I know everyone here wants to help, but does anyone here really think they're going to please someone who's interest is aesthetics or perceived benefit over real world functionality - but it still has to function better than anything else - and be colour coded and everything only they want and be available off the shelf, just for them, or it's sh1t. As they're incapable of actually customising anything or using their imagination, just complaining. In the meantime, despite taking offence to things, they're happy to insult everyone elses choices/bikes/decisions.

Good luck with that one.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I just don't like them. Period. Plus those freaking silly names ?(ffs I'll never ride something with written on top "magic Mary" "rapid Rob" or "flying suppository" iykwim)
Oooh, the Schwalbe "Flying Suppository" is for those days when you are riding in thin mud.
Its knobs look like a haemorrhoid minefield!! A great choice for those wet English winters!

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
p4pb5839007.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My good friend just went through this process with the same thoughts. He demoed everything he could and decided nothing but a top-level Levo would do for like $9,000 USD. Then I got a Giant Trance E+1 on closeout for $3,800 and he tried it out and loved it and bought one. Turns out the difference wasn't that significant in the end. His revised thinking is that the technology is changing pretty fast and even if you spend big, whatever you get will be obsolete in 2 years.

For me, I've also got a 2017 Haibike with almost 2,000 miles on it and it's getting pretty trashed. Motors last about 5,000 from what I understand. I'll probably have replaced everything but the motor by the time that comes around. Got that bike on a closeout sale as well and glad I didn't pay more.

Great post, that puts things into perspective.
As with most consumer items once you get past entry level, the law of diminishing returns sets in whereby each additional pound / dollar yields progressively less additional utility or enjoyment.

Big Wheelie

Jul 31, 2019
UK
SmartSelect_20190809-192411_GBInsta.jpg
OMG ?... Put engine, fox factory front/rear and 11 speed and this will be freaking AMMMAZING!

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
With your weather a + Ebike makes sense. I am in Quebec, got lucky, last 3.5 months i enjoy Haibike/Yamaha 2017(it was unsold). No problem, very good range 500 Wh now 3,473kms. On 40 mm front 3,0x27.5 Chronicle, rear Rekon 3C 2.8

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I’m confused now. Your original post mentioned you looking at trek, giant etc, but now your looking at dh race bikes? Maybe you need two bikes in your life hahahaha.
Hell, that isn't even a race bike .... except maybe if you rode off a cliff. Would handle like a bus with those tires.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Surely by now the perfect bike has been found ?

On top of all he other requirements, it's not allowed to be a specialized because they're overpriced and non-symmetrical. What is "overpriced" - overpriced for good support ? Overpriced even though there's some amazing deals out there at the moment which make them cheaper than other brands ? They're not all non-symmetrical either. Crikes, it must be hell when the OP buys car tyres.

Ah yes, it can't have a silly name ? Must be Well ard, or SERIOUS sounding. God forbid anyone was chilled or had a sense of humour.

"Maybe a flyon motor" ? what's a flyon motor ? flyon is a bike - it has a TQ motor. TQ used to be called "Clean Mobile" - lucky they changed the name, who would buy a bike with a 120nm motor if it was called a "clean mobile" ..

So if you want a "Flyon" motor (sorry .. TQ....). Then you can buy a Spitzing :

M1 Sporttechnik SPITZING Evolution 2019

But hell, it's a silly name and a rip off because it's over €2000 and doesn't have €2000 USD forks included.

I think we need to wait for the new YT pro race Farthing. Big front wheel to ride over anything and doesn't have all the normal design compromises of every other bike which is made like a bike. Also comes with fox 60's (60 inch tall).

Big Wheelie

Jul 31, 2019
UK
Hell, that isn't even a race bike .... except maybe if you rode off a cliff. Would handle like a bus with those tires.
I just like the overall design of that bike, the proportions and the colours?.... What's wrong with you guys?!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles