How would a 120 travel FS cope with this?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Found this quite tough on a hardtail with 100 travel

how much better would a 120 full suspension cope? Or would this terrain be a bit too much for a 120 FS?

BC466441-C002-44E1-8C76-6DE5B64EB923.jpeg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Eh ?

I was riding that stuff (and more) 30 years ago on a fully rigid GT without a motor.
Because that's all we had.
Just ride it on whatever you have... it'l be fine. ?

Thanks, I’ve no skills whatsoever and was a bit worried this kind of terrain might damage the bike. I believe aluminium is not as tough / long lasting as the steel frames back in the day.

I always wonder about the bit of the bike (not sure what it’s called). The hooked part of the chain stay where the back wheel clamps into. That arched bit of the soft Aluminium must get a terrible pounding on a hardtail

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don't think you'll damage the bike. If you fall off lots and it hit the ground sideways, you could dent the frame or scratch it. However, if you do fall off there, it's probably because you're going too slowly/not committed/not looking ahead.

Bikes are surprisingly tough. As Steve says, a slightly lower tyre pressure will help and act as a bit more suspension.

Just watch some Sam Pilgrim videos. He came off a flat roof with a good 2 metre drop on a hard tail a couple of days ago - multiple times.

To actually answer your question though. A 120 FS will be easier to ride and have less fatigue on the body than a 100 hard tail. You could relax and zip over that on your 25kph limiter and not worry about it or even give it a second thought. The HT 100 will have you jiggling around and be more worrisome (unless you're a really good rider). Going slow, you probably found it hard as every single stone becomes a challenge to manoeuvre the bike over/round. You'll stall out and loose balance with the lack of momentum and you probably won't be up out of the saddle and "riding it" ..

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I don't think you'll damage the bike. If you fall off lots and it hit the ground sideways, you could dent the frame or scratch it. However, if you do fall off there, it's probably because you're going too slowly/not committed/not looking ahead.

Bikes are surprisingly tough. As Steve says, a slightly lower tyre pressure will help and act as a bit more suspension.

Just watch some Sam Pilgrim videos. He came off a flat roof with a good 2 metre drop on a hard tail a couple of days ago - multiple times.

To actually answer your question though. A 120 FS will be easier to ride and have less fatigue on the body than a 100 hard tail. You could relax and zip over that on your 25kph limiter and not worry about it or even give it a second thought. The HT 100 will have you jiggling around and be more worrisome (unless you're a really good rider). Going slow, you probably found it hard as every single stone becomes a challenge to manoeuvre the bike over/round. You'll stall out and loose balance with the lack of momentum and you probably won't be up out of the saddle and "riding it" ..

Thanks Zim, very helpful.
As I sat reading your reply my office chair collapsed under my weight ?
Now I’ve got to work as well as ride sitting on a hardtail.

I wonder if RockShox or Fox do replacement parts for office chairs?

3B450653-AA0A-4877-BD3E-C07583A68156.jpeg
I

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
In answer to your questions...
how much better would a 120 full suspension cope?
A lot better. Even just 120 is nearly 5 inches of bump absorbing on the rear wheel. I would say those types of lumps and bumps are exactly what a 120 travel bike is suited to.
Or would this terrain be a bit too much for a 120 FS?
It's not 'too much' for a short travel FS, a hardtail or a gravel bike in the right hands. It's just different degrees of comfort delivered and rider skill required.

TBH, that type of rough country lane are exactly why I find it so hard to recommend any HT eMTB. With the extra weight of a battery and motor in the frame, once you head off-road you really want some sort of shock-absorption to smooth out the ride.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Looks like fairly typical old transport trails from quarry workings in the Brecons or Peak District??
29er with 2.6 downhill casing run at moderate pressure would make going easier but as someone mentioned picking a line on these sorts of trail is key. It is also smoother to maintain a decent speed and be out of the saddle to let the bike breathe...especially onba hardtail. Yes a full sus would be better and short travel would still cope well assuming the fork and shock were a decent spec.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Looks like fairly typical old transport trails from quarry workings in the Brecons or Peak District??
29er with 2.6 downhill casing run at moderate pressure would make going easier but as someone mentioned picking a line on these sorts of trail is key. It is also smoother to maintain a decent speed and be out of the saddle to let the bike breathe...especially onba hardtail. Yes a full sus would be better and short travel would still cope well assuming the fork and shock were a decent spec.

thanks yeah it was part of the Gap Trail in Brecon

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
thanks yeah it was part of the Gap Trail in Brecon
Thought it might be...so did you go through the "Gap" and down over the other side? Through the gap and it bends left...super steep, negative camber and a few hundred foot drop over the edge if you get it wrong!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thought it might be...so did you go through the "Gap" and down over the other side? Through the gap and it bends left...super steep, negative camber and a few hundred foot drop over the edge if you get it wrong!
Yeah did the whole thing starting and ending in Talybont-on-Usk. About 25 mile loop.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Now do you see the problem eating too many Mr Kipling pies during lockdown can do? ? ? ?

I now have to spend vast amounts of money upgrading my chair instead of upgrading my bike ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles