How was your ride, in one picture and one line?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Perfect, not too hot or bloody sunny ..........

perfect.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
This is the down side of riding in a warmer climate - "bird watching" whilst riding and becoming distracted ...

Not guilty, m'lud. Or, at least, not this time... Was my riding companion who has recently converted from road bikes but is still not convinced that tyre pressures shouldn't be at least 70psi. Rough downhill with roots - on a hardtail with even harder tyres. He bled a bit, but I'm not nasty enough to do that kind of photo... :cautious:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not guilty, m'lud. Or, at least, not this time... Was my riding companion who has recently converted from road bikes but is still not convinced that tyre pressures shouldn't be at least 70psi. Rough downhill with roots - on a hardtail with even harder tyres. He bled a bit, but I'm not nasty enough to do that kind of photo... :cautious:

I'm surprised he could see where he was going, you'd imagine his eyeballs were bobbling about like a golf balls in a blender.. Quite lucky he had his helmet on looking at that !

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I'm surprised he could see where he was going, you'd imagine his eyeballs were bobbling about like a golf balls in a blender.. Quite lucky he had his helmet on looking at that !

Very much so. And his sport glasses, too. Else would have been very unpleasant. I heard the noise behind me of fracturing wood and crashing bike, and was expecting the worst. Three sizeable holes in his head which bled like all scalp injuries, but otherwise unscathed.

We didn't hang about long as he was starting to lose his nerve. Then into some safer fast flow and he recovered his mojo. A bit embarrassing later sitting drinking coffee in the bar while he kept wiping the blood out of his eyes, though. Told the barman he'd been in a fight... ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
More likely the "I was runing too low pressure" factor

an expensive lesson hopefully learned ;)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
More likely the "I was runing too low pressure" factor

an expensive lesson hopefully learned ;)

25 psi... checked before leaving this morning. :unsure:

It was my weekly coffee ride with the elderly gents (in their 70s, so no jumping and all road/hard pack track). Else, I'd more than agree with you.

The odd thing is that only two evenings ago I was looking at buying some new tyres because the Rekons are just not up to the terrain here. But I reckoned I was only going to be doing flat, easy riding for the next few weeks and so I'd just wear them out. So the new tyres could already have been here...

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
25 psi... checked before leaving this morning. :unsure:

It was my weekly coffee ride with the elderly gents (in their 70s, so no jumping and all road/hard pack track). Else, I'd more than agree with you.
Not really sure what you think you're disagreeing with.
Your tyre has ripped at the bead where it exits the rim edge.
this only really happens from either a large impact, friction over a period time (due to the tyre moving/deforming) or cutting/chafing from a damaged rim edge.
it doesn't happen with higher (more supportive tyre pressure).
I've no idea what you weigh or how/where you ride but 25psi in a 2.5 rear tyre is unridable for me at 200lb as the sidewall will fold cornering.

Rekon's aren't a great tread design unless you only really ride dry armoured/manmade/hardpack forest paths and the like but the casings are absolutely fine when run at aproipriate pressures. (Being the same casings as other Maxxis tyres)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Not really sure what you think you're disagreeing with.
Your tyre has ripped at the bead where it exits the rim edge.
this only really happens from either a large impact, friction over a period time (due to the tyre moving/deforming) or cutting/chafing from a damaged rim edge.
it doesn't happen with higher (more supportive tyre pressure).
I've no idea what you weigh or how/where you ride but 25psi in a 2.5 rear tyre is unridable for me at 200lb as the sidewall will fold cornering.

Rekon's aren't a great tread design unless you only really ride dry armoured/manmade/hardpack forest paths and the like but the casings are absolutely fine when run at aproipriate pressures. (Being the same casings as other Maxxis tyres)

Good God, Gary! I'd never disagree with you! I don't have the courage! :eek:

That's why I'd put the "unsure" emoticon... I really am unsure. The 29x2.6 is rated as 20-40psi and so I've been running them at 25psi using the "perceived wisdom" of upping the minimum pressure by 5psi for an ebike. At least, that's the pressure I'm running them at on ground like today - which was asphalt and hard packed gravel.

I do ride a lot of sandy forest single track. The Rekons are absolutely shit in the (dune) sand in the forests and so I've been dropping the pressures down to 22psi. I'm 175 pounds, so a bit lighter than you. Also, considerably older and more fragile, so I ride nowhere near as hard as you.

However, this is Spain, so although there's lots of dune sand where I ride, there are also tree roots and miles of chunky rock garden. I'm not aware of having burped the tyre - and never had a low pressure on checking to indicate that I had - and so was a bit surprised to have the bead delaminate. I can only think that it was a failure that happened some time ago from a big hit which has gradually progressed until becoming terminal today. Shit happens. I was going to change the anyway - it'll just be a bit sooner. I've got a spare 2.4" Nobby Nic in the garage that I'll shove on in the interim.

Your input is always welcome - you know far more about this than I do. (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
rated as 20-40psi
Pretty much all tyres have pressure info built into the moulds. it's very rarely accurate. and the max pressure they rate tends to er on the cautious side (just to cover their own backs from recourse really)
Even at your lighter weight 25psi still sounds pretty low for hardpack riding anywhere rocky. You'll know better than me whether your tyre's sidewalls are actually supportive enough at that pressure though. For pure sand riding you ideally do want a larger volume tyre and properly low pressures. but for mixed terrain you're always going to have to come to some sort of compromise really. Somewhere along the line that compromise was simply too much and your tyre failed. but yeah. like you say it may well have been damaged a lot earlier than the ride where it catastrophically failed.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
IMG_20200523_070323246.jpg

Showed up to the trailhead early morning, and was challenging myself to ride without the battery as much as possible, ending up staying over 2.5x longer than expected.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
It isn't technical or even challenging (unless a gator chases you) but it is difficult to find a more scenic place than riding the doubletrack through the wetlands.
ride_20200331_125123.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles