How to switch on?

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
@puma931 that sounds like the answer. I'll try just powering up using the battery button and leave it connected on Bluetooth. That keeps the system powered up
I hope this is the final part of the fix, why didn't they say this in their first reply, and why isn't this included in some type of first time use FAQ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Certainly one to remember for all the future commencal problems ... did you give your on button time to charge up ... Hopefully they'll update their users docs with a little flyer letting people know to give it 30 minutes to charge up.

If you charged the battery on the bike, would the button get charged whilst the bike is in charge mode ?

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
If you charged the battery on the bike, would the button get charged whilst the bike is in charge mode ?

I'd been wondering that myself. I think probably not. The network (e-tube) needs to be powered to send anything up to the switch. If the network was powered, the bike would be "on" - screen would be "on" etc. The charging wiring goes direct to the battery holder which makes absolute sense.

The switch works by momentarily powering the network until the main battery kicks in and powers it. That is why our switches were quite happy switching off the bike (main battery power) but didn't have enough charge to switch "on" the main battery (firing up all the devices on the network).

I did get a glimmer of Bluetooth response from an EW-EN100 in "e-tube project". The EW-EN100 obviously powers up the bluetooth radio almost instantaneously but that was only momentary as the switch power faded away and the main battery didn't take over.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Next day... nothing!! How much charge does a bloody on/off switch need??

It's a shame it doesn't come with a small cranking handle to get it started.... :)

You could be exceptionally unlucky and actually have a faulty start button battery which isn't holding a charge. How about if you go all Daley Thompsons Decathlon on it, maybe it can generate it's own charge ?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Hopefully my sx is coming Tuesday( three weeks late)I was hoping to spend my first valuable hours fitting invisiframe/mudguard etc but it looks like I’m going to get personal with how an ebike is put together and works?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
What’s this supplied Shimano tool for connections look like? My sx has arrived at bikeactive but he didn’t see and tools in the Commencal box,he’d been warned about the switch BTW but I told him to just send it on to me as I just want the beast?

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
this

SPT.jpg

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
@puma931 that sounds like the answer. I'll try just powering up using the battery button and leave it connected on Bluetooth. That keeps the system powered up
Any joy with yours?
I’ve just been out for a ride, and after 40 min the switch still won’t work. Commencal said it could be the cold weather.... and they are in discussions with Shimano as there are others with the same problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Any joy with yours?
I’ve just been out for a ride, and after 40 min the switch still won’t work. Commencal said it could be the cold weather.... and they are in discussions with Shimano as there are others with the same problem.

I think there's a third battery for the glow plug to heat the mini battery for the on button so you can turn on the main battery.

Though looking at the diagram, I think there's a fourth battery for the dedicated bluetooth circuit so you can activate the the glow plug battery.

At least there's a bypass button .. It reminds me many years ago of my Chimaera 5.0, which ALWAYS had a flat battery - so you couldn't open the doors as they were electronically actuated. Fortunately, you could unscrew the rear number plate and pull the emergency door release cable.... must be the same design team.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Any joy with yours?

First proper rides out on mine. Every time I've hit it since the first charge up it has worked.

What we know about batteries is that if they deep discharge they may never charge again. Maybe that's what happened with yours.:((n)

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
First proper rides out on mine. Every time I've hit it since the first charge up it has worked.

What we know about batteries is that if they deep discharge they may never charge again. Maybe that's what happened with yours.:((n)
Are you charging on the bike via the port, or removing the battery and then charging it?Not sure this makes any difference to the switch.... I’ve only charge the battery off the bike. I’ll give it another go tomorrow.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Are you charging on the bike via the port, or removing the battery and then charging it?Not sure this makes any difference to the switch.... I’ve only charge the battery off the bike. I’ll give it another go tomorrow.

I'm charging off the bike.

You can just switch the bike on and put it in Bluetooth mode attached to your phone and it will stay awake for a chunk of time and maybe give the switch a good charge

blackwood

Oct 16, 2019
Oregon, USA
I just got my Meta SX last night. First thing I did was put in on the charger whole the battery was in the bike and connected the battery to the motor. The charger showed a solid amber. The bike would not turn on though. Clicking the start button it just flashed green and then nothing. Reading through the many Shimano docs I found a blurb about it having to wait for a full charge before it would turn on and that could take up to 7.5 hours. So I went to bed with the charger still connected and this morning the amber light on the charger was off. The bike did start up after clicking the start button. So maybe charging while then battery is in the bike for the full amount of time is the key? Anyway I am about to go for my first ride, hopefully I don't get stranded.

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
I just got my Meta SX last night. First thing I did was put in on the charger whole the battery was in the bike and connected the battery to the motor. The charger showed a solid amber. The bike would not turn on though. Clicking the start button it just flashed green and then nothing. Reading through the many Shimano docs I found a blurb about it having to wait for a full charge before it would turn on and that could take up to 7.5 hours. So I went to bed with the charger still connected and this morning the amber light on the charger was off. The bike did start up after clicking the start button. So maybe charging while then battery is in the bike for the full amount of time is the key? Anyway I am about to go for my first ride, hopefully I don't get stranded.
I'll try charging on the bike and see what happens, although I think I and Commencal are out of options and the switch needs replacing.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
I'll try charging on the bike and see what happens, although I think I and Commencal are out of options and the switch needs replacing.

Have you got a Shimano service centre near you? I think Commencal terms will direct you to get it fixed via Shimano but you'll still need their sign off. Possibility is you can get it fixed relatively quickly. It isn't a complicated problem. Just that it was DOA and a warranty issue that makes it frustrating.

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
Have you got a Shimano service centre near you? I think Commencal terms will direct you to get it fixed via Shimano but you'll still need their sign off. Possibility is you can get it fixed relatively quickly. It isn't a complicated problem. Just that it was DOA and a warranty issue that makes it frustrating.
They are sending me a new switch to fit and I need to return the old one back to them ?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
EC3F2C4A-AA2D-44CF-B782-1F585C675237.jpeg
I’ve finally received mine about three hours ago,I’ve plug it straight into the charger and it’s gone amber,do I need to connect any other cables? I heard someone mention connected the motor to battery if so where is that connection?BTW I pressed the power button and it just flashes once but doesn’t turn the screen on.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Take the left side motor cover off, the connection is in there.

Let it charge for 6-7 hours before you determine if there is a problem with the switch. On mine, the light on the charger goes off when it's done charging.
So the non drive side shimano motor cover? It’s ok I’ve had no instructions with the bike showing anything about this?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles