How to switch on?

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
Just got a new metapower sx 2020 and have charged the batter for 6-7 hours until the green light stayed on. Fitted the battery and connected the motor connector. Then tried the side power switch but nothing... There is nothing in the manual about switching it on, so have i missed something??

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
I have the same bike. I just hold the side button for a second and it comes on. Maybe check all the connections at the display???? Maybe a bad switch out of the factory?

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
I have the same bike. I just hold the side button for a second and it comes on. Maybe check all the connections at the display???? Maybe a bad switch out of the factory?
There was a loose connector for the display, but I connected it to the only unblanked plug. I have tried the two conectors the other way around too, but nothing. Also the connector to the motor was off, so i plugged that in too (can only fit one way). I really don't understand why it won't work...
time to call Commencal....

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi, On the display, does the cable from the +/- shifter connect to the first port (closest to the frame/head tube), and the other to the second, with 3 and 4 blanked??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi, On the display, does the cable from the +/- shifter connect to the first port (closest to the frame/head tube), and the other to the second, with 3 and 4 blanked??
Yes. But because of the way it networks, I don't think it matters which they're plugged into.

Might sound mad, but have you tried charging it again now it's in the bike to see what happens ?

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
You mentioned charging until "the light stayed on". On mine, the light comes on when it starts charging, and then it goes off once it's fully charged. Just sayin'. That's the charger light I'm talking about while charging the battery in the bike.

If I charge the battery out of the bike, the charger does the same (on solid while charging, off when it's full), and the battery light blinks pretty fast while charging, and off when it's full.

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
You mentioned charging until "the light stayed on". On mine, the light comes on when it starts charging, and then it goes off once it's fully charged. Just sayin'. That's the charger light I'm talking about while charging the battery in the bike.

If I charge the battery out of the bike, the charger does the same (on solid while charging, off when it's full), and the battery light blinks pretty fast while charging, and off when it's full.
The light was flashing whilst charging the battery off the bike, and after 6 or 7 hours the green light stayed on. Disconnected charger and the green light went off. Connect charger again and the green light stays on (no flashing). If i press the button on the battery if blinks green and goes off.

Someone above mentioned charging the battery on the bike, is this possible? I can't see any connector to do this...

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Someone above mentioned charging the battery on the bike, is this possible? I can't see any connector to do this...

Under a rubber cover on the non-drive side of the seat tube.

If you have a solid single green light on the BT-E8035 battery, it is charged.

I would work around all the e-tube connections using the supplied tool. The only special one is the speed sensor cable which has a keyway where it plugs into the motor in the only matching socket. All the others are interchangeable.

Try unseating each one using the "prong" end of the tool. Reseating should use the "tube with slot" end of the tool. You should get a click when the plug seats properly.

The wiring on mine has quite a lot of excess coiled up and shoved in the bottom of the seat tube (only accessible with the motor removed which is a bit of a mission) but I can imagine this slightly snagging the connectors and maybe unseating one.

If you've got a damaged e-tube cable you're really unlucky but they're readily available.

If you've got a DOA Steps component (display/switch/drive unit) you're really, really unlucky.

I don't know how Commencal would like you to deal with it but I'd be seeing if I can take it to a Shimano service centre to resolve issues like this.

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
1574772551313.png

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Joke is on me then as mine are exactly the same.

I get a green flash on the on button and get a flicker of bluetooth activity. Just had the lower battery mount removed as I was shortening cables and now its all back together and I've got to take it apart again.

The top bolts are buggers to get to.

The dealer manual for Steps says:
Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 14.23.28.png

Shame that most of that seems to be incorrect.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Simpler fix with a cable tie. Position the latching lump on top of the button. Push battery into bike. Done!

isCxA2QikEC1syOlPHLJteW3uEWmQp6KwYL762grEw3Ar3b9zh0zPD4AaXFQJkLZr7XZ8vkjQShTZxFJaMPguCga8HCcVggEpTbhc87Gw9OFAEeUGD3ZujD1Q1q5rfIaXQbBUEKoMmL-SfCEMqxLiNMgT8KhiQTnm43Xfjd-XDtIpD9Hq-iaOmTNmD7LxLrJ28MMY7g0Jr_lPzsl4dEwgWzWcxwZKOCyZNiJqEjryqX2MPjzxwmEEsixk6FBmIaqrAHvhNwqEl0E9_tk3PvufGEOP-05_HgHnc-L7bRIkwn52veP7LYkYK-b3tAe0bikGM-Hno3K5vDjidMxWN7qwgiedZIk12Gssn6RTSAcg8wzMARKOJNnbhwrbFHuKeyF02oGPqjGwApwVT87N74BpEbc5UsZn4HWz-Js-Q8tMMaBkr7UY7bOMf8r6zz4RnhEPBzYqJtZlOlJ_x7ATyyXV4IJwPVOrTP2gkfsd8Tz-mjU_sCjd0r8iorXKcFyKL4VClwf3BtIFOeGtO_MoN9VaFxKpriPQ3Umq1K7n8EYKGOVTB9KIRv54NZOx3G-PZ5SJbIXCcN_gOipGrvXJb2QFo9ppvU95WiWbIiKCsJFRRFMafrTeLMQWCQtCjfi43_9PZXJUowVrWasF0_0_6vj-62jBR_x-Hj4o7p3VEXP4DVH1vA368K8OOzE=w1600-h1200-no
Dammit. Still not 100% there. With the cable tie in place (battery button pressed) it does start up but afterwards it goes back to how it was.

Probably just needs a momentary press as per commencal instructions

Last edited:

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Latest update. Of two bikes, one works with all batteries. The other doesn't work with any batteries.

I have been able to get the bad bike to switch on by frigging the battery button. Got etube connected via Bluetooth. All firmware good - same as the other bike. But after de-rigging the battery switch hack, it won't switch on again. Pressing the button just results in a flash of green led and then nothing.

I'm going to start eliminating problem components from between the two bikes.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Think I've got to the bottom of my problem. The EW-SW100 satellite on/off switch on one of the bikes is bad. I've cross-rigged the switches from each bike to the other and the problem moves with the switch.

@puma931 not sure if this is anything like your problem. My symptom is that the bad switch still flashes green when pressed but doesn't switch the bike on. Nothing to do with the battery. The batteries were all fine having charged to having the single green led solidly on.

The wiring for the bike that didn't work had a coils of excess cable shoved into the base of seat tube without any cable tie. The wiring for the bike that worked looked like a lot neater like this...

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
I got the bike to turn on after removing bolt 22 and using an allen key I manged to push the battery button, and the display came on, used the + button to change the mode and the motor works. Turned it off using the power button on the frame, AND it won't come on again, unless I remove bolt 22 and use an allen key etc....

This can't be right! another email to Commencal....

Last edited:

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
Think I've got to the bottom of my problem. The EW-SW100 satellite on/off switch on one of the bikes is bad. I've cross-rigged the switches from each bike to the other and the problem moves with the switch.

@puma931 not sure if this is anything like your problem. My symptom is that the bad switch still flashes green when pressed but doesn't switch the bike on. Nothing to do with the battery. The batteries were all fine having charged to having the single green led solidly on.

The wiring for the bike that didn't work had a coils of excess cable shoved into the base of seat tube without any cable tie. The wiring for the bike that worked looked like a lot neater like this...

I still can’t get mine to switch on normally, only by poking the button on the battery. Going to talk to Commencal tomorrow...

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
I got the bike to turn on after removing bolt 22 and using an allen key I manged to push the battery button, and the display came on, used the + button to change the mode and the motor works. Turned it off using the power button on the frame, AND it won't come on again, unless I remove bolt 22 and use an allen key etc....

This is exactly the same behaviour as my bike. I've proven it is the bad EW-SW100 (the power switch). Not sure if there is a way to force reset the firmware.

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
From Commencal:

How long did the system still ON ?
The external button has got a small battery, and this small battery needs to be charged by the main battery.
So the system must still ON for at least 30mn.

I'll try it tonight, go for a ride and see what happens after 30 min....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From Commencal:

How long did the system still ON ?
The external button has got a small battery, and this small battery needs to be charged by the main battery.
So the system must still ON for at least 30mn.

I'll try it tonight, go for a ride and see what happens after 30 min....

Some people worry about e-bikes and reliability .. because of the introduction of things like a motor ... and a battery ...

So .. I couldn't get home after a pie break because the battery was flat in my on button ... ??? :)

Surely if the on button is connected to the battery, and receives a charge - from a cable, it doesn't need to be charged before hand ? It's not like the on button has to suddenly deliver 50 amps. Does it charge by wire from the battery, but turn the battery on wirelessly ? :) Genius !

Be interesting to see how this works out ! :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles