How to learn to ride.....

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Was going to PM @All Mountain Coaching, but decided that others may be in a similar position so why not post publicly.....

My wife is persuadable that mountain biking might be something we can do together. She's active and outdoorsy, but had a bad horse riding accident as a youngster and shattered both knees, then broke her back and arm paragliding, and recently her shoulder. So she's never really done the messing about on bikes thing, and the few times I've persuaded her, she's been much faster up hill than down, wearing the brakes out..... She's not keen on the bike moving underneath her, and when I have persuaded her to release the brakes, she slid on gravel and fell off.....

Despite all this, an ebike may be on the cards, and we can go together..... We're about an hour from Cannock, and that is almost on the way home from work too (hence @All Mountain Coaching ).

The question is, how best to introduce her? Should we get the ebike and help her not be knackered so she can enjoy it, or get basic skills better on a standard one (she does have an ok hardtail - I've tried this before :)). Is it worth us doing steady fire roads and easy green lanes, and then some coaching for faster downhill, bike movement, etc. Or coaching from the off? Essentially, she needs to increase her confidence, and possibly fall off gently a few times. Advice welcome. (Prices for actual coaching welcomed on here or via PM.)

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Let me guess your wife's name xcentric.........is it "lucky"
Perhaps you should not force her to take up MTBing......If she ever falls off you know who's fault it's going to be.
GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND ?????

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
personally I wouldn't go rushing off to *buy* any new bike yet.
She has a bike. Gradually introduce her to riding in a progressive and safe way.
Then I'd think about off-road/trail centre coaching once she's actually keen to try proper off road riding.
Do you know any balance games/drills you can play together?
Those would help her balance, braking and visual/spacial awareness skills.
The basics of riding really are basic.
ie. look ahead. plan where you are going. ride at an appropriate speed. brake in time and under control etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles