How to hack / derestrict your ebike for free

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
How to hack / derestrict your ebike for free
Hi everyone.
so i was looking some youtube and discovered this video where a guy de-restricts his ebike in a super easy way.. Did any of you try this! And does it work?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
For those who have not experienced a fully unrestricted eBike, this business of de-restricting a motor is irresistible - the grass is greener on the other side, right?

Well, I have another eMTB (other than my Trance E+) and that started life as an analogue trail bike which was retrofitted with a Bafang motor. This motor system is fully unrestricted and will assist regardless of what speed or cadence you're on - BUT we often forget that the top speed will always be limited by your highest gearing ratio.

I've got time, I'll make myself a cup of coffee and write my thoughts about this.

Think about this for a sec - the highest gear ratio on my Bafang eMTB is 1:3.8 ratio. Just so happens it has a 42T chainring driving the smallest cog on MOST cassettes - which is an 11T cog. It has 2.75" wheels and the fastest it can travel is roundabouts 45kph. Maybe I could go faster if I want to look stupid and spin like crazy with it.

So now what? Well from what I found, this only proves to be advantageous when commuting on the flats. The Bafang motor if I'm not mistaken was originally designed as a commuter bike upgrade (it's got old school road bike square-taper BB axles and a 48T steel chainring). But if anyone wants to put themselves in harms way and ride 45+ kph on the road in shorts, wearing a thin-skinned helmet with an impact safety rating that's woefully inadequate in a road crash, be my guest. At that speed, 4-pot 203mm rotored brakes might be strong enough to stop you but your knobby bicycle tyres won't if you had to slam it. It doesn't have brake lights and signal lights to warn other motorists. They would often misjudge your in-coming speed and pull out right in front of you - expecting that a bicycle takes longer to get close. Trust me, it doesn't feel empowering. There is a reason why a souped-up bicycles are illegal - they're dangerous not only for the rider, but also for pedestrians and other motorists on the road. My wife rides this bike now and we forget that my Bafang eMTB is unrestricted because we never ride past conditions where it would matter. We'd be crazy to.

On mountain trails however, my unrestricted Bafang bike loses it's advantage over my fully restricted Trance E+. They both climb like a goat, but I concede that the Bafang motor has more grunt and longer range (has a 17Ah battery) - BUT that's because of power output, and has nothing to do with de-restriction. The firmware on the Bafang is also primitive and it's like russian-roulette dealing with unpredictable power surges on tight technical sections whereas the firmware on the Trance E+ is refined and intuitive. On gravity descends the Trance E+ also leaves the Bafang for dead... because of the handling. I don't need any derestriction to achieve 40+ kph on a downhill run - in fact all analogue bikes can achieve that speed easily. My restricted motor won't stop my bike dead on it's tracks when it shuts off - it just stops assisting. I can pedal it faster on my own steam... in fact I often don't need to, gravity does it for me.

In forest trails where tracks go either up or down, both bikes are on par - characterised by inherent pros and cons. That little bit of extra assist at the top end? For a eMTB on the trails I ride, it's irrelevant IMHO.

Let's go back to the gearing ratios. Let's say I want to de-restrict my Trance E+ (which I don't). The stock Praxis chainring is 36T driving an 11T cassette cog. That ratio equates to 1:3.2 and on 27.5" wheels, that would bring my top speed to roughly 37kph on the flat depending on cadence. In NZ our eBikes are restricted to stop assisting at 32kph... so hardly worth the effort in my book. The Yamaha Syncdrive Pro did cut out on me once, but that was under the assist speed limit, because my power setting was too high and my gearing too low - that the motor surmised that I didn't need any help. Even if I derestricted my Trance E+, I won’t reach 45+ kph on the flat because the gearing ratio from my 36T chainring simply can’t achieve it... and I certainly don’t want to change the chainring on my Trance E+ to a 42T or 44T just to attain a higher top speed at the expense of losing climbing ability.

Now as I understand it, some eMTBikes in certain countries are restricted to stop assisting at 25kph (instead of our 32kph) so yeah, that's a bummer.
But before you start dicking around with your electronics, consider this:
• At the expense of reducing battery range, do you regularly push the limits and go uphill close to the 25kph assist limit, and for how long?
• Measure your gearing ratio first and consider what your attainable top speed is - versus your rated motor assist restriction speed.
• Also most videos I've seen with derestricted mods were 'tested' outside garages and ridden around flat neighbouring streets or cycle paths - that's where the improvement can be felt. I wonder though... I've haven't seen any video yet with testing done on proper mountain bike trails (I'm sure there could be some), where the derestriction mods were still endorsed to be well worth the effort.

Let's keep the discussion open. I'd like to hear other experiences and see what others think about this. It would be good to hear of fair valid instances were derestriction has really been worth doing, also. Cheers.

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I spent last week testing the badass box versus the region 32km/h unlock. I have bought the box a few months ago but waited until I could ride with a vehicle support on long rides on jeep roads. Have to agree with grandpa that I could barely feel the difference. With the badass I could reach 36kmh on flats, I could feel no difference on the climbs and when going downhill on tech terrain it also made no difference.
So, the box did not mess with the motor, had no error messages but it was not worth the price and the risk and the region change did work much better.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
The EU limit of 25kph is a little low but 32kph makes all the difference on the flats with 2 more teeth on the front ring.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
I can easily pedal my Vitus Esommet beyond the 25 kph limit on a flat road but usual cruising speed often coincides with the 25 kph limit and having the motor constantly cutting in and out is a real pain,an extra 7 kph doesn't sound much but it makes the bike much more enjoyable to ride

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
I can easily pedal my Vitus Esommet beyond the 25 kph limit on a flat road but usual cruising speed often coincides with the 25 kph limit and having the motor constantly cutting in and out is a real pain,an extra 7 kph doesn't sound much but it makes the bike much more enjoyable to ride

This in a nutshell is what I found after a test drive of a new trek with Bosch 2020 motor last week which was otherwise amazing. If only we were allowed 32kph or 20 mph it wouldn’t be a problem. Silly arbitrarily low figure 15.5mph. It’s why I’m now looking for a Shimano bike.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California

This☝?! People are not looking to go faster than their gearing for the most par.. More just looking to avoid the annoying sensation of the motor cutout on what is essentially cruising speed to the trail on a regular bike.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
This☝?! People are not looking to go faster than their gearing for the most par.. More just looking to avoid the annoying sensation of the motor cutout on what is essentially cruising speed to the trail on a regular bike.
Agree... a 25kph assist limit is just so impractical.

I can only imagine that legislators that came up with this figure were thinking of safety concerns on cycle paths that are shared with pedestrians/walkers/hikers. Which is crazy because normal non-powered bicycles easily and regularly exceed 25kph.

The problem is threefold:
1) Wrong Terminology - Instead of referring to it as an "assist limit" the term is very often interchanged with the phrase "speed limit." I hear it all the time, even in eMBN Youtube videos where I would've thought they'd be more careful not to install the wrong buyer perception. It paints the wrong picture in ones mind, and it induces a natural tendency to do something about it.
2) Wrong Legislation - 32kph works seamlessly with, and matches the natural cycling psyche. The times where I've gone past it, the motor cutting-off is barely objectionable. Not so for a 25kph assist limit... that's just stupid slow - you'd be hitting that wall over and over during a course of even non-agressive riding.
3) Wrong Engineering - I guess if engineers were made to comply (with the lower of the two assist limits) from a legal stand point, yes the motor simply has to stop when that speed is reached. But instead of switching it off, perhaps they should taper it off to remove that annoying sensation. I believe the newer motors have already taken that tapered approach.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
I spent last week testing the badass box versus the region 32km/h unlock. I have bought the box a few months ago but waited until I could ride with a vehicle support on long rides on jeep roads. Have to agree with grandpa that I could barely feel the difference. With the badass I could reach 36kmh on flats, I could feel no difference on the climbs and when going downhill on tech terrain it also made no difference.
So, the box did not mess with the motor, had no error messages but it was not worth the price and the risk and the region change did work much better.
How do you change the region? I have a Levo.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
stunlocker and others would let you do it on an e8000, but on a levo I don't think it's possible. You'd need a trailwatts dongle dooglie wotsit thingymibob to de-restrict.
Can do it with badass box but thought there might be an easier way to get to 20mph

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
You'd need a trailwatts dongle dooglie wotsit thingymibob to de-restrict.
I've got one of those!

Dongle Dooglie.jpg

But it doesn't work with the Yamaha motor, so it's no use to me.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
How do you change the region? I have a Levo.
Ask you local Specialized Shop?
Official shops, with there software can change the Wheel size from 2300mm to 2000mm.
Not more, but just enough to raise the speed limit to 32km/h US Spec LEvo. It is a grey area for now and there software is allowing this, so go right ahead, why not.:cool:
IMG_3348.JPG

Damo81

Sep 8, 2020
Melbourne Au
Hi im new to emtbs I just brought a barely used focus whistler 2 off my freind.. It has a befang groove next 250w motor im looking for a way to derestrict it so it will go faster or more assistance or what ever you bike geeks call it i just wanna poweron lol. It doesnt have a magnet on the wheel i was thinking maybe a region unlock but as im new to this i dont want to mess up my bike. Tia...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles