How to find out real world bike weights?

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I know there's not generally a massive amount of difference between full sus ebike weights (apart from SL ones with smaller battery etc) but is there anywhere I can find out a weight for a brand/size?
Specifically looking at XL YT Core and large Cube Stereo 160sl. The Cube has a much heavier larger capacity battery than the YT but I'm just wondering how much difference this makes on the total bike weight?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Bike manufacturers have always hidden the weight, citing size differences or such.

I usually google the bike or part asking what weight and more often than not it's listed somewhere. Makes finding it a bit easier. Not fool proof but usually gets an answer.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I have googled them and they tend to show the weight of the size small. I just wondered how much difference there's likely to be between a small and an XL for instance. I guess they've both got the same forks, shock, motor and battery so the difference will only be in the frame weight.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I'm sure there is some complex pseudo scientific explanation, but we're up to 111 posts trying to decide on the weight of a levo or kenevo, Specialized Turbo Levo and Kenevo Weight - EMTB Forums

As far as I can tell, real bike weight = ego / phallus x (budget- purchase date) , although physicists ate still arguing about the relative importance of interest rates and inflation on gravitational forces.

ps post 91 if you are into comparing sizes

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I have googled them and they tend to show the weight of the size small. I just wondered how much difference there's likely to be between a small and an XL for instance. I guess they've both got the same forks, shock, motor and battery so the difference will only be in the frame weight.
It cant be that big a difference, only being a bit of alloy, so must be in grams. maybe 200 or 300 or something like that.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I was buying my first emtb, I asked what I thought was a simple question. "What is the weight difference between a carbon fibre frame and an alloy frame?" You would have thought I was asking him to prove E=Mc2. "Ah well it depends upon frame size..... and the difficulty is that the CF frames never have the same kit bolted on as the alloy frames, so a direct comparison is not easy.... " (and so on, and so on....yawn).
I am certain that the manufacturer knows to the nearest fraction of a gram, but chooses to obscure the fact in order to avoid customers working out exactly how much extra they are paying for CF vs alloy. The best I came up with at the time was that it was about a kilo and about a grand.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
When I was buying my first emtb, I asked what I thought was a simple question. "What is the weight difference between a carbon fibre frame and an alloy frame?" You would have thought I was asking him to prove E=Mc2. "Ah well it depends upon frame size..... and the difficulty is that the CF frames never have the same kit bolted on as the alloy frames, so a direct comparison is not easy.... " (and so on, and so on....yawn).
I am certain that the manufacturer knows to the nearest fraction of a gram, but chooses to obscure the fact in order to avoid customers working out exactly how much extra they are paying for CF vs alloy. The best I came up with at the time was that it was about a kilo and about a grand.

Specialized spec their comp and comp carbon bikes the same, the official weight difference varies between 400-900 gms on levo / levo sl comps between 2019 and 2020 . I stopped looking when I realized the real difference isn't measured in grms - the carbon bikes literally transmit energy differently,. Christian is in big trouble if my wife ever meets him( he sold me my first carbon bike)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The simple answer for normal FS mtbs is generally somewhere around 200-400g depending on frame.
But. From experience two identical model/size Alloy frames from the same manufacturer will not always weigh exactly the same. But should be within +/- 50g of each other.
Carbon frames should be a little closer but still not always exactly the same weight.
Manufacturers obviously know this so you'd be wrong to presume they know the weight of their frames to the nearest gram.

With Ebikes there may well be a greater weight saving from carbon simply as alloy Ebike frame construction is a little more complicated and will require a stronger design/construction and more material/welding because of the inclusion of motor mounts and battery housing/bay and greater overall load in use.

Most manufacturers actually do publish weights of their high end frame only frames.
Frame only isn't really a thing for Ebikes though.

You shouldn't really be choosing frame material based solely on frame weight though anyway
Same with rims/bars etc. Hopefully the sales person touched on this in reply to your query.

Oh. And you really do still need to get rid of that dumb £1 per gram nonsense you keep bringing up along with any conspiracy bollocks concerning pricing.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Dont get crazy about it all are about the same

Full carbon 500wh around 21.5 kgs
Same with 625/700wh around 22.5 kgs
Alloy add 1.5 or 2 more kgs in the best cases

Thats with proper enduro stuff and air shock if you mess with thin tires 2 pot calipers rear film carbon wheels you can go lighter but don’t take that out of the store showcase or a fireroad to anything else

freddycat

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
Hello,
I have a 2021 Cube 160 Hybrid SL ( Medium ) 23.5kg on the bathroom scales if that helps.
2022 have a larger battery and it lists 24.5kg on the cube website.

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Oh sorry I wanted to say “all the same” when they share those characteristics. Pound up pound down but it’s the reference

... Goes on to list a 3.5Kg difference. 😂

We've missed you Ed.

3.5kg extra weight even on an already overly heavy bike can make a massive difference to how it handles/rides.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would say the weight placement o an EMTB and how this effects the ride charrechteristics of the bike is something that is far more noticeable in the real world than the overall weight of the bike.

IMO many bikes, especially those with larger internal batteries, have far too much weight at the top of the down tube, meaning they ride "heavy" in terms of front end feel/manouverability.

Of the two bikes the OP mentions, the YT (Again my opinion only) would feel lighter to ride than the cube due to the frame design and integration.

I have send some time on the OG Decoy and it (from memory) doesn't feel like a big old lump, which the older generation cubes certainly did.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The abundance of Emtb's sold with 1.8 steerer Zebs and 29" front wheels won't be helping with that either.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
Thanks for all the reply’s. Lots to ponder. The last post is interesting because one reason I was looking at the Cube was that it was 27.5 front and back. I was thinking (maybe incorrectly) that the smaller wheel might make it lighter at the front and easier to pop over stuff than a 29. I was hoping this might level it out because it has the heavier 750w battery.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Maybe a new geometry figure should be where the centre of gravity is compared to the BB. I have no idea where it is on any bike I have ever owned. Should be easy to work out though. Get some bathroom scales, weight the front, weigh the rear, measure the distance between axles and away you go! Basic maths. The CofG will be in opposite proportion of the axle distance to the wheel weight, ie closer to the heavier wheel.

By the way, where should the CofG be? Or should it vary by bike purpose (XC vs DH for ex)?

But once the rider gets on the bike, the CofG will change and keep changing every time the rider moves. So, does it matter at all? :unsure:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l wouldn't worry about it, as already said all
Ebikes are heavy compared to a regular MTB but it doesn't matter as soon as the motor kicks in.

lf you want a comparison between the two types.....the "lightweight" E-MTB's weigh about the same as a regular E-MTB with the battery removed.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
ln my experience they all weigh between 22 and 25kg
So there's no real point in getting too paranoid about the weight of individual models.

Unless you go for a lower power "lightweight" where they all weigh around 18kg

A full fat E-MTB is difficult to lift over a gate or wall. In that case the "lightweight" will be better. But it will have less power in the motor.

Depends on what you want really.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I want to find one in stock and ready to demo. I also want world peace and Holly Willoughby’s phone number but I’m not sure which is more likely 😀.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF if you struggle lifting an EMTB over a gate your upper body and core are probably not strong enough that you'd notice a huge difference in handling between a 22 and 26kg bike . It's really not "sit n steer" riding where it shows up. It's when riding more dynamically.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l doubt most normal people who don't do weights would not struggle to lift a 24kg Ebike to head height.

lt's not just the weight, it's the shape. My outboard motor weighs 26kg but it's easier to lift over a wall than my 24kg ebike

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
When it comes to pop weight is not the only thing to consider. Suspension, BB height, reach stack and chainstays also play a major role.

Thanks for all the reply’s. Lots to ponder. The last post is interesting because one reason I was looking at the Cube was that it was 27.5 front and back. I was thinking (maybe incorrectly) that the smaller wheel might make it lighter at the front and easier to pop over stuff than a 29. I was hoping this might level it out because it has the heavier 750w battery.

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
l doubt most normal people who don't do weights would not struggle to lift a 24kg Ebike to head height.

True dat. With my 30 pound Ibis, a cool photo pose is holding it over my head by the saddle and stem, while standing on the edge of a cliff. The weight isn't bad, but it's totally sketchy on an uneven surface with even a slight breeze. With the 46 pound eMTB, fuggetaboutit. I can barely lift the bike over the tailgate of a lifted pickup.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles