how to connect Yamaha display with giant motor?

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
I have a Yamaha display and a giant motor(maybe Pcb-Bic PRO or Syncdrive pro), but I don’t know how to connect them. The display have 5 cables, the motor have 7 cables. Can you tell me how to connect? Thanks!

4DCF1CED-6C5E-4B15-A918-116D7A881955.jpg

16FEA879-C2B5-443F-B660-15C592EA9F38.jpg

0BEB1218-C7EB-44E4-BB98-029A962FAEA9.jpg

A3F2CDB7-B9A6-4C9C-8D64-4FADD00E3DB3.jpeg

C7303EAF-3B5E-44DC-BA2C-D16091D5344E.jpeg

D3B45B4F-9681-4605-A528-2BBBE93773D5.jpeg

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
I tried to put the same color line together,but I failed. It may be that the color of the Giant motor wire is different from the color setting of the Yamaha motor original factory.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
This is how was wired the Syncdrive sport motor on my previous e-bike with the RideControl EVO screen, maybe it can help you...
The green and brown were used for the Canbus, white and grey for the lights.

elec-1.png

elec-2.png

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Thank you very much!
Does that mean I can only use the RideControl Evo instead of the Yamaha display?
I don't know, it was the configuration of my bike, nothing more than that. I just wanted to know how the motor is wired so I decided to identify each connection when my motor was out of the frame for a maintenance check, just for my knowledge.

(Correct me if I am wrong) Old yamaha PW motors don't have Canbus, only PW-X and PW-SE have it while Giant syncdrive motors already have it since at least 2017 bikes. Your display is for PW-X so works with Canbus, but what about your motor ?

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
Thank you!
My motor should be Syncdrive pro, actually Yamaha PW-X,Giant made a slight change. My motor and your motor can be a little different. But I still don't quite understand how CANBUS should answer it. I tested the 7 wires out of the motor (excluding 3 speed sensors), only was a voltage between the white wire and the other 6 wires. There is no voltage between the other lines.
I don't know, it was the configuration of my bike, nothing more than that. I just wanted to know how the motor is wired so I decided to identify each connection when my motor was out of the frame for a maintenance check, just for my knowledge.

(Correct me if I am wrong) Old yamaha PW motors don't have Canbus, only PW-X and PW-SE have it while Giant syncdrive motors already have it since at least 2017 bikes. Your display is for PW-X so works with Canbus, but what about your motor ?

bushkila

Mar 10, 2020
Europe
Hey,
well that wont work!... why, because Giant modified the pwx,..and placed a totally different lets call it mainboard (PCB) inside of the motor, thats why the wiring from a Giant SyncdrivePro Motor is totally different then the Yamaha PWX.
Same with Yamaha PW and Giant SyncdriveSport,...different wiring because Giant changed the Mainboard(PCB) /Wiring.
Yamaha and Giant Systems are not interchangeable.
@oceanzq the only Display available for your SyncdrivePro is the RideControl Evo or the RideControl One + Giant RideControl PLUS Display

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
Hey,
well that wont work!... why, because Giant modified the pwx,..and placed a totally different lets call it mainboard (PCB) inside of the motor, thats why the wiring from a Giant SyncdrivePro Motor is totally different then the Yamaha PWX.
Same with Yamaha PW and Giant SyncdriveSport,...different wiring because Giant changed the Mainboard(PCB) /Wiring.
Yamaha and Giant Systems are not interchangeable.
@oceanzq the only Display available for your SyncdrivePro is the RideControl Evo or the RideControl One + Giant RideControl PLUS Display
Hello, thank you! if i use RideControl Evo ,can I directly connect the motor out line without Giant battery system? How to connect if can? Because I don't have Giant batteries.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
The motor and the display should be of same generation. If not their hardware is probably different and won't match.

If your display is designed to comunicate with the motor with canbus and your motor don't have it then 100% sure it won't work.

On my first picture only 5 wires go to the display : 2 for supply ? (red, black ) 2 for canbus ? (Green, brown) 1 for ? (Orange).

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
The motor and the display should be of same generation. If not their hardware is probably different and won't match.

If your display is designed to comunicate with the motor with canbus and your motor don't have it then 100% sure it won't work.

On my first picture only 5 wires go to the display : 2 for supply ? (red, black ) 2 for canbus ? (Green, brown) 1 for ? (Orange).
Ok, thanks. I'll try again later. By the way, do you know what the voltage is between the red line and the black line?

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
I don't know but if the mainboard is different between Giant and Yamaha motors like said bushkila then it won't work. I also know that the motor/display talks to the battery so without a proper battery the system may not start.
The best for you is to find a battery and a controller that match your motor to check if everything works properly then you can try to change only the display.

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
Thank you very much! I followed the circuit diagram and started the motor with ridecontrol evo. But there seems to be something wrong. Motor should be pw-x series, should have 5 power, but screen display only three power. And the boot prompt has an error. I don't know why.

23FC4521-8586-489C-8B4E-E999D12F48EF.jpeg

E5104450-31CF-4CA6-B21A-04E5713C202B.jpeg

597F5541-1DE0-41E8-8AFD-89435C40702E.jpeg

428CBE01-D970-4601-87A4-777CC3E1F96E.jpeg

8596F7A2-0D8D-424C-B4DB-9D9873058CB7.jpeg

oceanzq

Sep 11, 2020
china
I know why that energypak error is. Because I didn't use Giant original battery. I simply used my own 36 v battery pack to connect the motor to the positive and negative poles.
But I still don't know why there are only three power modes for such motors?

bushkila

Mar 10, 2020
Europe
The Giant Syncdrive Pro Motor, which you have there has usually 5 Modes,...try making an Update of your Motor and Display via the Giant Ridecontrol App from your Smartphone, the Display supports Bluetooth in order to update.
Are you 100% sure that this Motor is a SyncdrivePro from Giant? Or is it maybe just an normal PWX?
And also that sticker on the downside of your Motor says "Sample",.....there could be anything inside..

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles