• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered How to break a stubborn tyre bead

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
One side of the tyre comes off easily but the other wall just seems welded to the rim.
Any tips on breaking a troublesome bead?

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I end up putting mine carefully in a bench top vice and gently working from side to side. Usually find the tyre is sticking to the edge of the rim tape and this needs replacing.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
It's a method of last resort for me, but I stand both feet on the tyre - heels together, toes wide, duck-stylee to grip as much of the tyre as possible - with a strap run through a few spokes to spread the load, and pull. It helps if the opposite side of the wheel is also being held down somehow.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I put on grip palm gloves, place wheel on a bench, rim resting on left edge of bench, heel of left hand on tyre sidewall, other hand supporting opposite rim. With a straight left arm drop your body weight onto the sidewall.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have never found a MTB tire I could not break the bead on without needing tools.
For a stubbon one I lay it on the ground with the new tire holding it up slightly then stand on the tire with the insole of my shoe - usually just needs some weight and it pops.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have never found a MTB tire I could not break the bead on without needing tools.
For a stubbon one I lay it on the ground with the new tire holding it up slightly then stand on the tire with the insole of my shoe - usually just needs some weight and it pops.
Carbon rim. Too many wraps of gorilla tape, sealant bonding the bead to the rim and to make matters worse a huge rim insert insert and a Dual Ply tyre has been the only combination I've ever had to crack out these bad boys for...

Park-Tool-Tyre-Seater-Workshop-Tools-AW15-QKPTS1.jpg

I've genuinely no idea how the punter got the tyre on in the first place. He did say it took him 3 hours though..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles