How the heck did you decide what to buy?

LeeBoy

Consider the BMCs ? Checks most of the boxes you are looking for.

TFRT0090 (1).JPG

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yeah, I understand why it’s like that. But it’s a big compromise unless all you ride are groomed trails.
So is having a horrendously unreliable motor and sketchy electrics, but that hasn't stopped Specialized selling a shed-load of Levos... ;):ROFLMAO:

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I chose my bike because it has the same name as my two motorbikes, bugger all else between them if you ask me.
Having said that I would only buy a bike with a standard sized external battery as it's so handy being able to swap batteries mid ride, doubling the range, and it's no harder to carry than a 2litre water bottle.
Don't believe the bullshit in the specs about the range, a 500w battery will only do 15-20 miles in turbo.

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Thanks mate, I'm sort of leaning towards the new Bosch to be honest (I like new stuff and I like Bosch gear in general), the only thing which is stopping me from splashing out on the Whyte right now is that bloody cable under the motor. I know what I'm like, I'd probably knacker it within a week but jesus it's tempting.
Buddy of mine just bought one, I’m on a levo expert and he’s power and rage are on par, it’s a great bike. But so is the spesh.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
You could always fit narrower tyres to see if things improve.
I had wondered about this myself, so i posted a question on here a while ago, I got so bogged down with answers about rim widths and tyre sizes I couldnt fathom if it was possible or not without Buying new wheels .
ive not bothered since ?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
@Beezerk the Whyte is a great ebike for the purpose it was developed, did you see the trails on the video? That’s his natural environmen. Doesnt mean it can handle rocky trails but I’m afraid is more a jumpy bike and for plow there’s other better bikes.

Then is the riding position it requires skills and may not be the most comfy.

What ebike suits you best is about your trails and your skills. From the Cube to the Whyte is a considerable gap, the Levo is always a safe bet.

Just keep in mind, before you buy, how and for is the suspension is dialed, progressive or lineal, the stack and the reach for a more comfy and safe ride or more nimble and nervous, same on chainstays and wheelbase, the angles, the wheel size ... it depend on what are your riding preferences, the trails you do and if you’re skilled enough to really get the best of the more aggressive ebikes

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had wondered about this myself, so i posted a question on here a while ago, I got so bogged down with answers about rim widths and tyre sizes I couldnt fathom if it was possible or not without Buying new wheels .
ive not bothered since ?
This data sheet from Schwalbe may be of help.
Tire Dimensions

Click "which tyre fits which rim?"
Then page down to the table.
Tyres that have the WT designation may suit rims slightly wider than the table states (because it was produced before WT tyres were a thing.
PS: WT = Wide Trail (or so I was told, it would make more sense if it was called Wide Tyre!)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
So is having a horrendously unreliable motor and sketchy electrics, but that hasn't stopped Specialized selling a shed-load of Levos... ;):ROFLMAO:
I’ve done 6800km on mine trouble free so don’t know what you are talking about. All other motor brands have issues too, and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I could write a long post explaining all this but it would be wasted on those who have already made up their mind.
Face your fears, and live your dreams ?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I’ve done 6800km on mine trouble free so don’t know what you are talking about. All other motor brands have issues too, and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I could write a long post explaining all this but it would be wasted on those who have already made up their mind.
Face your fears, and live your dreams ?
No fears here, I just haven’t drunk the kool-aid...

Very happy for you, but unfortunately one data point is not what I would consider compelling. So far the 5 Levo owners I know (all UK based) have had seven replacement motors between them and multiple other electrical issues, mostly to do with the power cable and connections into the control unit on the top tube. That plus the fact my local Spec dealer seems pretty clueless about their e-offerings means I wouldn’t go near them with a barge pole. It does always amuse me that many of the people who champion Specialized’s “excellent customer service” eschew their local dealer to travel huge distances to buy from the guys in Berks who rebuild every Levo they get in before selling it... :unsure:

You are quite right that other motor brands also have issues, but if I were paying the premium Spec are asking I would expect better reliability than the competition, not par or worse. The fact Spec went with Mahle not Brose for the Creo speaks volumes; I strongly doubt Brose will be in the next gen Levo.

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
No fears here, I just haven’t drink the kool-aid...

Very happy for you, but unfortunately one data point is not what I would consider compelling. So far the 5 Levo owners I know (all UK based) have had seven replacement motors between them and multiple other electrical issues, mostly to do with the power cable and connections into the control unit on the top tube. That plus the fact my local Spec dealer seems pretty clueless about their e-offerings means I wouldn’t go near them with a barge pole. You are quite right that other motor brands also have issues, bit if I were paying the premium Spec are asking I would expect better reliability than the competition, not par or worse. The fact Spec went with Mahle not Brose for the Ceri speaks volumes.
Like I said ....

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
This data sheet from Schwalbe may be of help.
Tire Dimensions

Click "which tyre fits which rim?"
Then page down to the table.
Tyres that have the WT designation may suit rims slightly wider than the table states (because it was produced before WT tyres were a thing.
PS: WT = Wide Trail (or so I was told, it would make more sense if it was called Wide Tyre!)
Thanks Steve

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
from my experience and research

Spesh: expensive, good quality, more for people who just want to ride a standard bike. few reliability issues but decent manufacturer support so it will be right in the end. Levos are well regarded and the kenevo is a sexy machine but comes at a price but won't be rivaled soon as the EMTB DH king.

Giant: Bang for buck, not top of the line in terms of spec and quality but a good bike at great price with good support if there's problems. The Trance was aimed at trail riding and wasn't going to set the world on fire. The reign looks to be a DH destroyer but the higher price does put it in the competition with some premium brands. A good choice if you're looking to upgrade select parts to make the bike your own

Trek: the new 2020's seem more appetizing than previous models that had features I didn't like: over fat tires, trail geometry but decent spec and support. Trek are a good brand, won't disappoint

YT: amazing on paper but the only friend I know that bought one, is still waiting months after purchase. I'm also aware they do handle a little heavy but are solid and will eat any trail.

Commencal: the new long travel looks sick and sleek. reviews say it's a lively bike that closely resembles a 'normal bike' once again the smaller manufacturer can make after sale support an issue

Focus: I always see focus as the gentlemen's bike. Good spec, modest geo and impressive overall quality. A modest bike, but nothing sexy

Haibike: a little too 'European' for my liking seems like they're trying to be different for the sake of being different.

Final verdict: Set your budget and buy from a well-known manufacturer (giant, trek spesh) with good aftersale support. Don't buy anything that's brand new to the market or be tempted by the 'oolalala' of the boutique brands, wait for the early adopters to identify the landmines and don't overthink it too much.

Sit on a saddle, not your hands

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
from my experience and research

Spesh: expensive, good quality, more for people who just want to ride a standard bike. few reliability issues but decent manufacturer support so it will be right in the end. Levos are well regarded and the kenevo is a sexy machine but comes at a price but won't be rivaled soon as the EMTB DH king.

Giant: Bang for buck, not top of the line in terms of spec and quality but a good bike at great price with good support if there's problems. The Trance was aimed at trail riding and wasn't going to set the world on fire. The reign looks to be a DH destroyer but the higher price does put it in the competition with some premium brands. A good choice if you're looking to upgrade select parts to make the bike your own

Trek: the new 2020's seem more appetizing than previous models that had features I didn't like: over fat tires, trail geometry but decent spec and support. Trek are a good brand, won't disappoint

YT: amazing on paper but the only friend I know that bought one, is still waiting months after purchase. I'm also aware they do handle a little heavy but are solid and will eat any trail.

Commencal: the new long travel looks sick and sleek. reviews say it's a lively bike that closely resembles a 'normal bike' once again the smaller manufacturer can make after sale support an issue

Focus: I always see focus as the gentlemen's bike. Good spec, modest geo and impressive overall quality. A modest bike, but nothing sexy

Haibike: a little too 'European' for my liking seems like they're trying to be different for the sake of being different.

Final verdict: Set your budget and buy from a well-known manufacturer (giant, trek spesh) with good aftersale support. Don't buy anything that's brand new to the market or be tempted by the 'oolalala' of the boutique brands, wait for the early adopters to identify the landmines and don't overthink it too much.

Sit on a saddle, not your hands

Jeez, not even a hint at Merida, probably the largest global manufacturer!!

THE NEW eONE-SIXTY - MERIDA BIKES

eone-sixty-10k-telblk-my2020.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
2020 Merida is so bloody nice. The only let down for me was the lack of travel otherwise it would be at the top end of the list for me. Great bikes, great price/parts and great service.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Jeez, not even a hint at Merida, probably the largest global manufacturer!!

THE NEW eONE-SIXTY - MERIDA BIKES

View attachment 20590
I'm really liking the look of that Merida geometry-wise. Looks like a short-ish chain stay length, wouldn't be surprised if it's shortest out of any eBike offering out there at the mo.

The only thing that really bothers me is that kink on the top tube as it meets the seat tube. I've seen a lot of bike manufacturers do that as of late and no matter which way you look at it, structurally - that's a stress-riser. Why modern bike designers are doing that I'll never know - if it's for fashion, shame on them. If it's meant to allow some flex then fine I guess. Anyway the down tubes on eBike frames are so massive and over-engineered, that kink on the top tube probably doesn't matter as much.

I don't like mullet-bikes, but I'd ride that and might consider buying one if that chain stay is as short as I think it is. The long 29ner fork and tallish head tube places the handle bar up high where it should be... expecting that to be sweet to manual, bunny hop, wheelie, jump... ALL the stuff that I no longer do at my age, lol! :giggle:

RAZOR

Feb 19, 2019
Auckland, NZ
I haven't had the pleasure to run my hands and eyes over the 2020 Meridas.....YET!!! They don't have much presence here in NZ. On paper, the geo looks really good and that compact motor should be the standard on all bikes. just the sticker price is my only quarrel.
Plenty of meridas available in nz, local chain Bikebarn have the new bikes on their website but I believe they have only just landed.
The 2018/19 models have been pretty good sellers from what I’ve seen.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
I went solely on looks and that it had to have a Brose motor.

Don't know even why I preferred Brose, I'd never ridden an eMTB at all when I made this decision apart from they look most integrated.

I got a 2019 Kenevo Expert, Specialized stuff just looks nicely executed and their customer care seems second to none.

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
Let's be honest, most higher-end MTB's and EMTB's are fairly similar, there might be a spec difference, wheel difference, slight geometry change, shock length, battery size, and motor difference, but at the end of the day only 2 things really matter:
1. how does it feel and make me feel when I ride it.
2. will my LBS and the brand support me fully when shit breaks.

For me, it was a 2020 Levo Comp :cool: and the service from the specialized network of stores is second to none!

Last edited:

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I usually ride 29 wheels especially after my Biff in downieville years ago where on a 26" bike I launched off the trail. I'm still a bit amazed I didn't wash up fifty Miles downstream. I'm sure the video link is still there. ( It wasn't staged ) . My commencal came with 27.5 plus 2.6 s and now I've progressed to 3.0 in the rear 2.8 in front. Now do I officially "shred". Dudes and dudettes I'm 69 years old ...I wouldn't exactly say I shred to the point of missle launch to suborbital but I try to go down and up anything. In a few I'm heading over to canyon of fools etc in Sedona for my last ride before heading back to NorCal . Yes my bike can feel like a truck but ever since my buddy myke get me a new set of hope pro 4 hubs with Easton arc 40 hoops , a renthal fat bar at 800 mmsokehow my steed feels like a feather. If u come across sand or ooze in your rides you gotta try 27.5 3.0 before u condemn it all. I'm sure I could navigate near anything including 29 2.4 as if it were my new pivot 429 trail because I still want to at least claim to ride both but I'm finding this 27.5 plus to be quite handy. Btw I thought I was riding with at least 25 psi based on the squeeze test ( yes squeeze ur tire mates ) ...it was 11.5. I was wondering if it would fail me seriously badly as in where is the heli going to set down but nah it was fine.

NewLifeLevo

Sep 23, 2019
Victoria, BC, Canada
Finally, putting the nuts & bolts away, and this brand vs that. Yes depending on geo, the major Brands all offer good options and support/service. No mention of either Norco or Kona, but likely only an option for North American customers. I did consider some Euro brands but was informed that support was non-existent. Thanks Chubba! How does the bike feel? Yes. After 6 months or research (Yup sitting on the net) with a few parking lot-type test rides at a bike show in Toronto, I took a leap of faith with a '19 Spez Levo Comp late July. And then 2 months later the 2020 version has the bigger battery and better fork (Lyric platform). Change is part of the commercial game with e-bikes. But, I wouldn't change a thing. I upgraded to Fox suspension with significant performance gains and the fun factor improved measurably. Next level of fun? To experiment, as the BC wet winter settles in, is to try a 27.5 rear Schwalbe 2.8 with stock 29er wheel and Schwalbe 2.35 front. Big fan of the mullet or mixed wheel moto style format. Sorry I digress. If I had to pick one reason for my choice, it would be Spez's significant R&D investment and the solid team of engineers In Switzerland.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles