How much should the rear rotate before it catches?

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Not sure how to word it. My rear wheel rotates a bit before catching. If I put the rear brake on, I’ll get maybe 1 degree of rotation before it stops. I don’t have anything to compare it to and google didn’t help as I don’t know what to search for :)

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Are you referring to the engagement of the free hub body? Lots of different manufacturers have different systems, pawls, ratchet etc. They all engage differently. 1 degree sounds ok some are 3 and even more.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I looked with a torch this time. Disc bolts are loose. Well, they are right but the disc moves. Will take it apart and inspect.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
I looked with a torch this time. Disc bolts are loose. Well, they are right but the disc moves. Will take it apart and inspect.

If your wheel is moving with brakes applied but disc is not (and it's loose) you appear to have found your problem. Correctly torque the brake disc bolts and check carefully before a big ride.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
So that fixed it. Bit amazed they don’t use shoulder bolts or anything. The holes are bigger than the threads, so it doesn’t take much for the disc to move. Is this common?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles