How many motors have you blown? 2019 levo only

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My mission control app is showing that there is an firmware update available and please visit your retailer
Yes has to be updated to new firmware then you have 4 year guarantee for motor any way from original purchase date . Announcement due but it was leaked. I will get mine Inverness pay 25 pounds as not where I got it.

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
I will also now look for a Specialized retailer near where I live. I just traveled 200 miles to Staveley to change the motor and not going back again.

AdamDuckworth

Mar 3, 2019
Northamptonshire, UK
My motor went on my 2019 Levo Expert at the weekend. Only 600 miles. Called
Berkshire Cycles Co
and
Chris Reilly
, even though it was bought from LBS. Took bike down today, new-spec 2021 motor fitted in quick order while I waited, all under warranty. Amazing service.
It's new new, new motor so hopefully will last longer and my warranty is now extended by another couple of years. Good work
Specialized UK Ltd
and the team at Berkshire. If only all bike shops were like this...

SWORKSLOVER

Aug 20, 2020
Southern California
2019 SWorks. About to take it in for my 5th or 6th motor... This one began sounding like rocks in it around the 250 mile mark. The others lasted around 300-400 miles before they suddenly began screaming or sounded like rocks. My LBS has been great about fixing each time in 2 weeks or less. I’m on the verge of requesting a full refund. Had the bike for about 15 months now.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I can see why the Levo is so expensive. The cost to the company of all those motor replacements has to be added to the purchase price of their bikes.

everyone please just ride your Levos gently and don’t ever go off-road on them........then they will be cheaper and I can buy one ?

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
2 - 2019s and 1 - 2020 in the garage. I am the only one to go through a motor on my 2019 and I ride in eco at very low power settings. Spec rep told me the latest software update is the most important thing in motor longevity, even more so than the newest motor. He claims the hit from off to on was too hard/harsh and that has been tuned to a softer hit. It was the reason for premature belt wear and breakage. He claims that my riding style was the worst for the motor as the low power setting gave me many more off/on hits per ride than the wife and kid who are always in turbo mode. Think off a soft start on an air conditioner analogy. An air conditioner that stays on never blows a circuit breaker.

I took all 3 bikes to the LBS for the update he claimed only the dealer could do. We will see.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
2 - 2019s and 1 - 2020 in the garage. I am the only one to go through a motor on my 2019 and I ride in eco at very low power settings. Spec rep told me the latest software update is the most important thing in motor longevity, even more so than the newest motor. He claims the hit from off to on was too hard/harsh and that has been tuned to a softer hit. It was the reason for premature belt wear and breakage. He claims that my riding style was the worst for the motor as the low power setting gave me many more off/on hits per ride than the wife and kid who are always in turbo mode. Think off a soft start on an air conditioner analogy. An air conditioner that stays on never blows a circuit breaker.

I took all 3 bikes to the LBS for the update he claimed only the dealer could do. We will see.
There is no emoji for lowering my head and shanking it slowly in a disappointed way.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I own a Specialized Levo 2019 about one year old which did about 6000 kilometers. Today the motor broke down. It suddenly started to make a terrible noise and it was almost impossible to pedal. My first thought was that the chain was caught. I could see a red LED near the switch. Tried to analyze the problem with the application but it didn't give a clue what was wrong. I am not happy that I cannot trust the motor while my rides are quite long. (n)
The software was updated a few months ago.
You've probably got the record for most miles on one motor for a year so don't be expecting any sympathy here

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
So, I'm going to welcome myself to the club.

Less than 4 weeks old Turbo Levo Comp 2019 broke (high pitched squealing) after 383 km. I rode it almost 100% in the Turbo mode. I'm going to the LBS next Wednesday.

Update: I got my bike back after two weeks with a new motor manufactured in June 2020. That should be a fixed version. However, 1918 km later the new motor failed today. ?

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Did it fail the same with high pitch squeal or just die?

The pitch is not so high, but it is similar. I can hear that something in the motor is spinning, but the rear wheel is not moving. Also, it is not possible to spin the rear wheel backwards which is exactly what happened before.

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
The pitch is not so high, but it is similar. I can hear that something in the motor is spinning, but the rear wheel is not moving. Also, it is not possible to spin the rear wheel backwards which is exactly what happened before.
Yep. Just like mine did. Great

Mamil

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Second motor has just gone for me along with a second control unit.

The bike is a 2019 with about 2700 hard miles on it, with about 1000 on the second motor.

The belt went on the first, squealing with lots of drama......and last weekend the bike switched itself off as soon as I switched it on and it died before I got chance to get on it.

The rear wheel also jammed and refused to roll backwards which I understand is an indication of a dead motor.

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i just got my second replacement with 3k miles on the bike. The new one is so sweet. Quiet,smooth ,fast. I dont even want the acceleration response turned up

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
You would think that you could shame them in to sorting it out but obviously not . I would be raging.

Lucky they finally got in contact after seeing my posts here on the forum. They were very helpful and it is great that the issue is sorted. It was unfortunate that I had to vent on the internet just to be heard - when it was basically impossible to get in touch. Fingers crossed that Specialized how now listened to the feedback related to customer service and follow up. Good news that the warranty has been extended and no issues since the motor change

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles