Levo Gen 2 How many Levo motors have you had?

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
My '19 and my '20 Levo, 9000 miles between them, I've had 12 motors. Yes 12. They've lasted as long as 1200 miles, but the latest 3 motors went no more than 800.
Mind you I bought the '20 as a spare, and it's a good thing, cause Id be without a bike every month practically.

For the record, I love the bikes. I'm not complaining.
That must be a record number. Such a wide range of experiences. If your use is perhaps harder than others the upside of this is that maybe even the latest updates aren't sufficient to give the durability we should expect and more strengthening is still needed. The best outcome would be an internal redesign using existing frame mounting points which could be carried forward to the 2022 range and beyond.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
That must be a record number. Such a wide range of experiences. If your use is perhaps harder than others the upside of this is that maybe even the latest updates aren't sufficient to give the durability we should expect and more strengthening is still needed. The best outcome would be an internal redesign using existing frame mounting points which could be carried forward to the 2022 range and beyond.
Aye you wish. 12 motors in LA dinna think they get the rain we get we will never know pal. Too many people trying to analyse the reasons for failure and so much variations . Lot of would be experts on here . Just chuffed I dinna need anither moter

NicktheGreek

Apr 25, 2018
Earby
Refurbed motor fitted. Sounds the same as a normal motor now. Kinda disappointed. Was hoping for a wooshing noise like a jet engine on the first go. But hey ho. I'll take it out for a run tomorrow when it's a bit dryer and report back but so far Performance Line Bearings have done a great job. And the turn around was very quick. Posted to them on Monday and back with me fixed on Friday.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Refurbed motor fitted. Sounds the same as a normal motor now. Kinda disappointed. Was hoping for a wooshing noise like a jet engine on the first go. But hey ho. I'll take it out for a run tomorrow when it's a bit dryer and report back but so far Performance Line Bearings have done a great job. And the turn around was very quick. Posted to them on Monday and back with me fixed on Friday.
You just hold on tight now Nick mine threw me 10 days ago ribs still in bits .

NicktheGreek

Apr 25, 2018
Earby
First run out today with the refurbed motor and all is well. The one big difference is using eco a lot more where previously I was in trail. I can only put this down to the motor having less drag with a new set of bearings.
Still no whoosh noise though. Ho hum.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
First run out today with the refurbed motor and all is well. The one big difference is using eco a lot more where previously I was in trail. I can only put this down to the motor having less drag with a new set of bearings.
Still no whoosh noise though. Ho hum.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
All this about motor failures makes grim reading.
There is enough to go wrong as it is with all the other stuff - pivots, forks, rear shock, dropper post, drive train, brakes, cranks, headset, wheels, tyres, wiring.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've fixed mine today so I hear no noises
There is enough to go wrong as it is with all the other stuff - pivots, forks, rear shock, dropper post, drive train, brakes, cranks, headset, wheels, tyres, wiring.
Agree but can sort a lot of them bits easier or replace without taking out a mortgage. Though nothing i can do with a battery or motor. Those piddly little cables under the motor cover wouldnt take much to burst them

NicktheGreek

Apr 25, 2018
Earby
Yes, but in my case, the bike is carrying 120kg plus riding gear, I live in the north so it's about as wet and muddy as you can get at times and it's worked without skipping a beat for nearly 2 1/2 years.
All the other bits can be dealt with as although they can fail you can keep an eye on with regular maintenance. My motor didn't fail but felt like it needed a good service.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes, but in my case, the bike is carrying 120kg plus riding gear, I live in the north so it's about as wet and muddy as you can get at times and it's worked without skipping a beat for nearly 2 1/2 years.
All the other bits can be dealt with as although they can fail you can keep an eye on with regular maintenance. My motor didn't fail but felt like it needed a good service.
Agree there with everything you said except you don't really live in the North cause I live about 400 miles further north . And the mud is thicker here hahaha

NicktheGreek

Apr 25, 2018
Earby
Agree there with everything you said except you don't really live in the North cause I live about 400 miles further north . And the mud is thicker here hahaha
After the weather we've had for the last month I don't think I could take any more north. And the midges would put me off for good I think.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
After the weather we've had for the last month I don't think I could take any more north. And the midges would put me off for good I think.
We just got snow this morning first this winter. Saying that 2 miles away yesterday I took this pic

20210207_141212.jpg

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I have a 2021 Levo and I'm on my 2nd motor. My 1st motor did not have the latest software, apparently it came out about a week after I bought my bike. Hopefully this one will last a few years!
fingers crossed as I respond to my old post! bringing positivity to this thread! My 2nd motor so far has been flawless and I ride 3 to 4 times a week!

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
After 1 month my 2020 engine broke down. My dealer has one under warranty ordered a new engine. Does anyone here know if I will get a 2020 motor now or a 2021 motor right away?

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
My second motor (production date 21-07-20) already gave up after 15 km ...
engine number 3 will come under this week.

Hopefully this will last a little longer ...

Fortunately, I do have a super dealer who always does his utmost to solve problems immediately.

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
So, after three weeks I have the bike back with a 3rd motor. According to the serial number it looks that it was manufactured in July 2020 (the 2nd motor was manufactured in June 2020). I don't have high hopes for it. I don't think that they fixed motor issues.

Specialized "diagnosed" my motor and they said that it was derestricted (it wasn't) based on power consumption. I ride only in Turbo and mainly in hills, so using this to determine that the motor was derestricted seems pretty stupid to me. I hope that there won't be any problem with the next warranty claim.

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
Indeed, this should not happen too often. tomorrow my 3rd engine will be mounted. I have this bike from the beginning of January and am already considering another brand ... despite the correct warranty handling!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
So, after three weeks I have the bike back with a 3rd motor. According to the serial number it looks that it was manufactured in July 2020 (the 2nd motor was manufactured in June 2020). I don't have high hopes for it. I don't think that they fixed motor issues.

Specialized "diagnosed" my motor and they said that it was derestricted (it wasn't) based on power consumption. I ride only in Turbo and mainly in hills, so using this to determine that the motor was derestricted seems pretty stupid to me. I hope that there won't be any problem with the next warranty claim.
Did well to get it replaced in three weeks if they thought it was deristricted could have taken months of argy bargy interesting . When mine went it was cleared as a warranty claim two days after dealer got it so no way Speacialized recieved the motor back and looked at it by then.

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Indeed, this should not happen too often. tomorrow my 3rd engine will be mounted. I have this bike from the beginning of January and am already considering another brand ... despite the correct warranty handling!

Wow, 3rd motor in 2 months.

Just for the reference. My 1st motor died after three weeks (380 km) and the 2nd one died after 6 months (1918km).

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
I am now going to be on my 5th motor as the 4th motor is making major noise when any assist mode is selected but no noise when there is no assist.

MilesDate
Motor 1
690.24​
12/27/2019​
Motor 2
516.01​
5/1/2020​
Motor 3
410​
7/22/2020​
Motor 4
1280​
2/19/2021​

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Oh man, that sucks!

I was thinking about buying a SC Bullit, but I love the range and power of my Levo. Also the bike is pretty much great, just its motor sucks :(.

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
Indeed it was not such a nice bike.
The 1st engine had problems after about 700 km. He no longer supported. The 2nd engine started to beep after 15 km (I just drove into the forest and thought at first that a bird was frying ... but it turned out to be the engine of my bike!)

I drive 70% on the road and mainly drive eco. In the forest I drive in trail and sometimes the last 10 km on the road in turbo. The bicycle is not heavily loaded. When I drive a lap of 70 km I have about 40% battery capacity left.

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
? Getting hard to remember the exact number... about to go get my 5th or 6th motor now. Each one lasts about 300-500 miles.
Any desire to throw it off a cliff? Lol. I had that urge today. 2nd motor at 120 miles. Failed again today. 3rd ride on motor 2

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles