Levo Gen 2 How many Levo motors have you had?

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I have a 2021 Levo and I'm on my 2nd motor. My 1st motor did not have the latest software, apparently it came out about a week after I bought my bike. Hopefully this one will last a few years!

Ami

Oct 25, 2019
Dallas, Texas
2019 Levo Comp, bought last August and I've put roughly 2,000 miles on it. Just had my 4th motor installed, this one has a June 2020 MFG date and prior motor had a Feb 2020 MFG date. Update was done in August, to no avail, motor blew at the end of Sept, 750 miles on that one!

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
No one seems to know - nothing ever shows in diagnostics. It never happens on a ride, only the day after charging. After the third battery I turn it on after charging to make sure if fires up. Go to turn it on for the next ride the next day and it's dead.

Have you checked the routing/clamping of the cables near the shock? LBS told me them being overtightened/misrouted can cause intermittent voltage problems

warpdwhim

Sep 14, 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
My LBS (who are absolutely fantastic) have attempted to diagnose with the help/advice of Specialized to no avail. This problem - it literally KILLS the battery. The bike doesn't even move and the battery is done. Plug the charger back in and get the second from the bottom LED on the battery constantly flashing green - "battery issue/problem".
I'm waiting on word for a replacement bike - my patience is over after losing a month out of 4 months of ownership.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I had a similar intermittent issue, but my battery never discharged itself. Just wouldn't turn on randomly. Its been good as gold now for a couple of months after a battery replacement. I'd had various other stuff replaced under warranty but the fault always seemed to return (but never whilst I was at the shop!) Finally the battery luckily played up when I took it back to the shop for the 5th time.

I'm no expert but yours sounds as if the battery failure is a symptom of another issue. Perhaps the bike fully discharging it to zero is ruining the battery. What bits have they replaced so far?

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
My LBS (who are absolutely fantastic) have attempted to diagnose with the help/advice of Specialized to no avail. This problem - it literally KILLS the battery. The bike doesn't even move and the battery is done. Plug the charger back in and get the second from the bottom LED on the battery constantly flashing green - "battery issue/problem".
I'm waiting on word for a replacement bike - my patience is over after losing a month out of 4 months of ownership.

I had this *EXACT* same issue a few weeks ago and it happened while my bike was in the shop. Luckily they had a brand new replacement battery in stock and just swapped it out, but the issue was exactly as you described. Bike was working fine, I recharged it, next time the bike was turned on - everything was dead.

Plug the charger back in and it's just the third LED flashing.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
2020 Levo Comp. Original motor went out at 440 miles. Currently just over 700 miles on the second motor.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My Levo is in the shop now for a new motor and I've heard about people that are on their 2nd or 3rd motor...how many have you had?

..or did a new motor work well?
I got 2600mls before mine went about 1 year old . 400 done on new one i fitted August I think.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have never had one fail on any of my personal Levos, but I have replaced plenty in the shop for my customers.
Most failures have been from riders who leave the bike in too high of a gear and attempt to do a climb in Turbo. The Low Cadence high torque scenario is the most common culprit.
I am always spinning at an 80rpm cadence and my motors have never had a failure.
The other cause has been modding/derestricting the motor.

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Regarding batteries, my bike shop told me that if the Levo battery/system is switched on and you unplug the charging point plug, that can cause the battery to fry...

So far, touch wood: battery ok, motor too. Just done FW upgrade. Bought April 2019, done a few '000. Had to replace chain once so far (recently) but I run shimano chain, cassette, derailleur and shifter, so that wear rate may be different to standard SRAM set

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles