How many eBikes have you had/owned?

rosswa28

Nov 17, 2018
Berkshire
1) Started with a 2017 Levo Comp in green.
2) Then got a good deal on a 2018 Carbon Comp in Red/Black
3) Kenevo Comp came along and couldn't resist
4) Now on a 2018 S-Works Levo!

All the bikes I have owned have been part-exd/sold and bought new. Unfortunatley don't have the funds to have more than one on the go or I would!?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
1) Started with a 2017 Levo Comp in green.
2) Then got a good deal on a 2018 Carbon Comp in Red/Black
3) Kenevo Comp came along and couldn't resist
4) Now on a 2018 S-Works Levo!

All the bikes I have owned have been part-exd/sold and bought new. Unfortunatley don't have the funds to have more than one on the go or I would!?
I've foregone vacations and other discretionary spending (I'd rather ride) for four years in order to afford several eMTBs (mostly demos, prior-year models, and consumer-direct). I've ridden each one extensively, and have taken at least two dozen noobs on their first assisted trail rides. This includes park rangers and other authorities; maybe I should be on Haibike's and/or Bulls' payroll. ?

I've sold several of my used pedelec MTBs as well, and have made riding buddies out of three local buyers along the way. My first full suspension ebike, a 2015 Haibike FSRX, was acquired by an old college chum that got me into MTBing 30 years ago; that's been particularly gratifying because he, like me, is a tick magnet who's battled Lyme Disease more than once. We simply could not enjoy our favorite trails unassisted anymore. ?

To answer the question, I currently ride three full suspensions, two hardtails and a fat bike. I'm a glutton for ebikes! ?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Started with an 2016 Levo Expert, then I got a 2016 S-Works. Painted the S-Works and then I got a 2017 Expert in Orange. Also got a Giant Full-E but I hated that thing and got rid of it very quickly. Sold the first and 2nd Expert and got another Orange Expert I put 29s on. Bought a 2018 S-Works Carbon switched it out to 29s hated the fork and sold the bike. Picked up a 2018 Kenevo
And sold my 3rd Expert. Got a 2019 Haibike Nduro Xduro 3.0 but the geo on that bike didn’t suit me, so away it went. Ordered a 2019 Expert way back in September, but I recently just decided to wait for a 2020 model. I haven’t really been into Ebikes the last 7 months and have been riding BMX Park and Street lately.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
My first was a hub drive I built using a Klein 26" mtb. About 3000 watts and great for my 50 mile round trip commute. Wasn't good on trails or climbing steep stuff however.

My second was a mid drive I built using a Bafang BBSHD and a 27.5+ front suspension mtb. 1400watts and it can climb damn near anything. My wife loved it so much, I gave to her on the condition I could buy my dream bike.

My third is my dream bike ..... a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert

:love:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Started on the 2017 Focus Jam2. had so many electronic problems with that so I gave it back and got the Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Race. Loving that, but doing huge miles on it compared with any other mountain bikes I have had.
So 2 up till now.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
i currently own 2

Cube Acid One - commuter set-up
Cube Acid One - weekend set-up

both do exactly what i want, so need to upgrade either at the moment

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
i currently own 2

Cube Acid One - commuter set-up
Cube Acid One - weekend set-up

both do exactly what i want, so need to upgrade either at the moment

The Cube Acid looks like great value. How do you find the Active Plus motor? They're much newer than the CX motors, I believe.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
The Cube Acid looks like great value. How do you find the Active Plus motor? They're much newer than the CX motors, I believe.
for the type of riding that i do the ALP motor is superb....50nm of torque and upto 270% assist is enough.

my commute is a 30mile round trip with 1500ft of climbing so tour mode is enough now that im riding more, but if i want to grin all the way home, then i use sport/turbo and the 500wh battery is plenty enough

both have received fork upgrades to fox ctd...but the commuter got the kashima coating

the weekender is just used for canal tracks, tarmac and some gravelly riding, as im not a keen mountain biker. the 38t upfront is great for keeping good speeds and there is virtually no drag from the motor after the nearly 16.4mph total cutoff ( it tapers away after 15.5mph)

softtailcruiser

Patreon
Nov 23, 2018
Tamworth
Just one. Turbo Levo FS basic.

May look to upgrade an old mtb with a kit soon, for when friends come to visit / wife wants to go for a spin to a country pub type of thing.

Still fancy an e-gravel bike, too, for extended touring.....

ninjichor

Apr 10, 2019
Southern California
Still trying to find that one with the geo I want, at a good price. The best candidates aren't available in US (E-Sommet, Spectral ON). Still considering slapping on a mid motor kit on my bike but they don't recommend under-downtube mount.

Been eyeing the Fezzari Wire Peak + angleset.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
There's 4 in our house hold 2 for him to for me.
2 Haibike sDuro allmnt RC 2016 models and now 2 Canyon Spectral-On's....we are very lucky.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I'm on my 2nd bike.

The first one was KTM Macina Freeze e-fat. It was ordered 10/2014 and delivered 5/2015. Rode about 3000 km on it.

I currently have a Turbo Levo 2017, bought it second hand with only 200km on it Oct 2017. I'm going to ride it at least year or two more :)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Despite being enthused when my Dad got his HT Trek, I have not made the jump to e-power yet myself. This is partly because I couldn't find a bike I wanted at a price I was prepared to pay and partly because of external factors (house buying etc). I probably will make that the leap sometime in the next 12 months though, possibly on one of the new Bosch motored Whytes.

Last edited:

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
I started in 2014 with an easy motion BH hub drive---gave it away to my sister-in-law and kittted a downhill bike with AFT motor from Austraila. Awesome but not reliable.
then got a 2017 levo which is awesome--rode the wheels off that and can't wait
rtSIDE.jpg
to upgrade to the '19 levo

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
9 total so far.

1. 2018 Specialized SWorks Levo
2. 2019 Specialized Levo Carbon Comp
3. Another 2018 Specialized SWorks Levo
4. 2020 Specialized SWorks Levo
5. 2020 YT Decoy Pro 29er
6. 2021 Santa Cruz Heckler X01 Reserve MX
7. 2022 Specialized SWorks Levo
8. 2022 Santa Cruz Bullit X01 Reserve MX
9. Another 2022 Specialized SWorks Levo

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
A little OT maybe, but I have never understood this to change bikes every year.

if you are happy with youre bike ...... why change? , have never understood me on this that one must always have the latest things

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
A little OT maybe, but I have never understood this to change bikes every year.

if you are happy with youre bike ...... why change? , have never understood me on this that one must always have the latest things

Moving to something new half way through the warranty makes sense if you have the funds - lower risk of having to fund a new battery / motor, you sell with warranty remaining so the next owner is comfortable paying reasonable $

It's the vimes boot theory of bikes

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Moving to something new half way through the warranty makes sense if you have the funds - lower risk of having to fund a new battery / motor, you sell with warranty remaining so the next owner is comfortable paying reasonable $

It's the vimes boot theory of bikes
The chap above who's burnt through five motors in two years on his shiny bike from a widely admired, premium brand might have something to say about Sam Vime's boots.

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
All 5 motors were replaced for free. Imagine owning that bike when it's outside warranty.
As a second hand ebike owner I would hope that you would only have to pay for one as the new motor should come with a new warranty surely? As long as the failures after the new purchase fall in the warranty period anyway.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
As a second hand ebike owner I would hope that you would only have to pay for one as the new motor should come with a new warranty surely? As long as the failures after the new purchase fall in the warranty period anyway.

The trouble is, not many companies offer rolling warranties - so buy one and you might get 2 years of replacements , lets say 5 brose motors untill you next need to pay and the same every 2 years?

My 2018 giant got a new motor a few weeks before the end of warranty. That motor effectively had no warranty and it's now 2 years later....

My levo sl is approaching the 2 year mark, if I didn't love it so much it would make financial sense to buy another.

Frkit, I can just keep stuffing newspaper in the soles

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles