How many % discount you had when you bought your eMTB?

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
It's time now for me to buy a new ebike. I was chatting with a friend this afternoon and he get a solid -10% on his brand new Specialized Turbi Levo Alloy Comp
(so 670$ discouinted on a brand new 6750$ bike). Quite a great deal in my opinion! (Spoiler: he told me he know pretty well the LBS)

So, please let us know which brand/model and how many % you had when you bought your ebike. I'm interesting to see what you get guys!

Have a nice day!

REMINDER: i'm a froggy and English is not my main language ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
With the current supply chain issues you should not be expecting big discounts without some sort of existing relationship with the shop.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
When I bought my first eMTB in November 2019 (2020 model) the discount was 7-10%. I also received a 15-20% discount on helmets, shoes, parts etc. Fast forward to the last 1 1/2 years …0% on everything, unless I can corner/persuade the owner.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I bought a brand new 2019 levo for £3400 two weeks before the 2020 arrived in stock. I spent about £1000 on it and then it got stolen. All within 12 months.
Then got a 2020 levo SL expert for 6k which was a 20% discount.

You win some, you lose some.

it will be a very long time until I buy a new ebike... if ever. Prices now are ridiculous.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I bought a brand new 2019 levo for £3400 two weeks before the 2020 arrived in stock. I spent about £1000 on it and then it got stolen. All within 12 months.
Then got a 2020 levo SL expert for 6k which was a 20% discount.

You win some, you lose some.

it will be a very long time until I buy a new ebike... if ever. Prices now are ridiculous.

I don't believe price will decrease now the market is pretty mature. It's like smartphone. I remember when I ordered my iphone 6s back in 2015 or 2016, 700€ was a huge price.... now if you want a premium brand it will be 1200€...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Your best option is to go second hand.
As long as you aren't too bothered about warranty; there's far too many brands out there with either non-transferrable warranties or reduced cover for second owners.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Mine's second hand & I'm very comfortable with it, notwithstanding with a few exceptions, it's an industry wide shit practice when you consider the cost of participation involved.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
10% over dealer cost on my rail. But I’m a trail steward in my region. Trek gives back, to those who give back. Great company

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I got shagged rotten. They wouldn't budge a penny. But once they had me on the hook, I squeezed them for XTR pedals, a fancy bottle cage, and Troy Lee jersey. It didn't amount to a big percentage, but I felt better about myself.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
After waiting for 6 months at our LBS for my new Levo SL to come in, I stopped in at another shop to see if they had one in stock. Surprisingly, they had the one I wanted in my size but it had last years price on it so they had no choice but to give it to me for that price ($1000 off). The salesman also messed up with a brake swap deal which ended with me getting another $235.00 credit to use for fun stuff! Generally, we have to pay full retail but since we support numerous trail advocacy/building associations, we get 20% off just about anything except bikes at our LBS in Squamish.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
0% discount for me (Orbea WILD); which I wasn't surprised about (this was back in May-21 and new bikes were very scarce in the UK). My last eeb, a Levo Comp Carbon 2019, I got 15% disc (but since then the shop I bought it from has had its Specialized licence taken away by Specialized UK for offering discount!!)
For the bike shops/ manufacturers now, it's a supply/ demand situation; there are many people who want a product so prices go up/ hold firm

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Ive pre-ordered a Rail 9.8XT. No discount, but with stock being so short I'm happy to pay the RRP. I get the feeling that ebike prices are only going up.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.
I called this morning a famous bike store (installed all over the country) and ask about availability and discount on Trek Rail bikes. They told me they have no stock at all, next delivery will be late December 2022 for this model (Trek Rail 9 2022). The guy was nice and told me to rush on another brand if it was possible, like Moustache, Cube or Specialized. For him, price will increase greatly in the next month, and he was not expecting back to normal till 2024 or 2025!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Zilch..diddly squat.. nowt !
I was made to feel that I was lucky to get it..
2021 ( Nov.'20 ) Whyte E160RS..Oh and that was after holding my £1000.00 deposit for 3 months ..
Boy do I know how to drive a hard bargain!
Saying that it went up by £250.00 shortly after ..😉😁

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
December 2021 15% on Specialized Comp Carbon and a new spare 500w battery for Chf300.
Bascially 3 months after, things have changed. I went to my Specialized local dealer this afternoon. I only get 5% on an Alloy Comp, and they can buy my old bike eventually. I'm torn.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
62.5% off new 2020 Levo Expert 👍

Shows how much tax we pay these days on goods and income…
Is that a typo or did you buy it through your business and claim the VAT back and offset the cost against tax?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Time was not so long ago when you could get fairly near that though, provided you were willing to hang on until October & hoover up the unsold stock. Not any more.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Is that a typo or did you buy it through your business and claim the VAT back and offset the cost against tax?

Claimed the vat back and then Cycle2Work lost the income tax portion 👍

While technically it wasnt a discount on the bike and its components/accessories (although Berkshire Bikes did do that as well); the net result was a discount to the amount I saw leaving the bank account.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
That is a sensitive subject with me.
In November 2019 I went to my LBS where I have spent about €10,000 over the last few years, and said I want to buy 2 E-bikes for me and my wife. When I asked if they can do something with the price, I was told they will give me a good deal on my old 2 yr old Cube 160 with a new Motor. When I asked how much is a good deal, they offered me €800. I paid €4000 2 years earlier.
I then said that wasn't sufficient, and the reply was. "Why should we give it to you cheaper today, when we can sell it for full price tomorrow"!
This was before Covid.
I managed to get both bikes with 10% off elsewhere on a black Friday deal. That saved me €900. But I was really really pissed off.
Particularly as I like to support my LBS and have spent a lot of time in that shop over the years.
They lost me as a loyal customer which is a shame as it is the only shop nearby that has eMTB's.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I don’t know, but I don’t see the owners of our 3-4 LBS driving fancy cars or living in big houses. I see the owners and staff out in the community or on the trails (sometimes with their young families) and I take the time to say hello or greet them again in a different environment. It has cost me $0.00 to treat them like I would want to be treated.

I’ve never been in the retail business and I don’t know exactly how it works. Over time, and a number or purchases, I begin to understand the margins on certain items.

Take a friend. It may show the LBS’s that you are part of a network and your purchasing power is significant and influential. It also shows the LBS that you are committed to their product or items. I sometimes joke that the LBS’s know me by name, but when I walk into their business with a couple of potential customers…they take notice.

Or…maybe I’m completely naive and have no idea of what I’m talking about. But my wallet has the final say.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles