How long should a cassette last?

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
So just had my Giant Trance E+1 in the bike shop because my chain was slipping when applying firm pressure to the peddles in the hardest, and second hardest gear. The bike shop said the cassette was worn out on these two gears and has replaced the SRAM PG1230, 11-50T, 12sp, with a like for like replacement.

I have done 1000Km's on the bike since November as I use it for commuting. I do usually sit in the hardest or second hardest gear, except for a few hills I have to climb. The bike shop has recommended that I try to use more of the cassette when commuting to save the gears, but this will obviously effect my speed which I don't really want to do.

Realistically, how long would you expect a cassette to last on an ebike? I understand it gets a fair amount more torque than a regular bike but I am looking at replacing it every 1000Km's? Should I be thinking about a ''stronger'' cassette compared to the SRAM that is on there from factory?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
my first cassette lasted about 1000km, my second cassette is still going strong at about the same. I believe the first wore quicker as I was being quite brutal with the drivetrain when I got the bike (popped two chains in the first month).

You also have to factor in conditions you are riding in, as if you are getting grit and crap in the cassette it will wear a bit quicker.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
my first cassette lasted about 1000km, my second cassette is still going strong at about the same. I believe the first wore quicker as I was being quite brutal with the drivetrain when I got the bike (popped two chains in the first month).

You also have to factor in conditions you are riding in, as if you are getting grit and crap in the cassette it will wear a bit quicker.
I am hoping for more than 1000km out of the new cassette as I can do that in a single month if I ride everyday.

I live in Brisbane so it’s hardly ever wet here, and I clean my bike after every off-road session. Every time I clean I also use Muc-off dry lube on the chain. Maybe there is a better lube to use that could help extend the life of the cassette?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Then that is a bit premature, I ride in pretty horenndous conditions most of the year

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If that was a clockwork bike, I'd say just get a bigger front gear, that should allow you to use larger gears on the cassette without affecting your top speed. But I'm new to emtb and that may affect the settings on your bike. You or your LBS may be able to reset it to take into account the larger ring.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So just had my Giant Trance E+1 in the bike shop because my chain was slipping when applying firm pressure to the peddles in the hardest, and second hardest gear. The bike shop said the cassette was worn out on these two gears and has replaced the SRAM PG1230, 11-50T, 12sp, with a like for like replacement.
Asuming they are separate HG fitting sprockets, Just those two sprockets (and your chain) could have been replaced.

IMHO Ebike cassettes should use different tooth spacing to non-ebike cassettes.
ie.
As you can see this would give closer jumps at the faster end of the cassette reducing wear.
I personally find anything lower than a 36x42 gear pointless unless my Ebike is switched off. (I realise this is not the case for everyone though)

*8 and 9 speed cassettes have been offered up (Oftren at ridiculous prices) as Ebike specific by certain manufacturers but these actually INCREASE use in certain smaller sprockets by having larger teeth jumps between the gears.
Here's what a SRAM EX1 Ebike cassette sprocket configuration is
11, 13, 15, 18, 24, 32, 40, 48
As you can see there is far far less choice so it stands to reason the 11, 13 and 15T sprockets are going to see far greater use/wear

I actually wore a 15t Sprocket out on an Ebike specific cassette in less than 100miles. And not even from any road use at all. 36x15 is one of my most used gears when descending as it's closest to optimum for sprinting out of corners. The cassette runs 11,13,15,18... etc. 18t is too low for sprinting out of corners and 13t is too high (exiting faster corners does not really require the same sort of sprint). The cassette was replaced and I'm hoping this premature wear was a freak occurence but as (hopefully) you can see Ebike cassette sprocket configuration needs more thought by manufacturers.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
@Gary thanks for the informative post, certainly a lot to consider. It would be nice to see some more ebike specific cassettes that can stand up to the wearing.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Holy cow that is short.
I am on my second chain and first cassette still and have done over 2300 KM.
I mostly ride offroad so probably use most of the gears, so I guess that makes a difference. also relatively dry and not sandy conditions.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Gary thanks for the informative post, certainly a lot to consider. It would be nice to see some more ebike specific cassettes that can stand up to the wearing.
TBF the harder wearing aspect is a myth. If there was some wonder material affordable enough normal bicycles would have been using it on cassettes long ago. As it stands chains wear at the rollers and cassettes/sprockets ideally need to wear equally to mesh throughout their lifespan. Swapping chains (part worn) is a bodge at best to eek out a little extra sprocket life.

The steel used in ten quid 8 speed cassettes is hard enough wearing.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

I have done 1000Km's on the bike since November as I use it for commuting. I do usually sit in the hardest or second hardest gear, except for a few hills I have to climb. The bike shop has recommended that I try to use more of the cassette when commuting to save the gears, but this will obviously effect my speed which I don't really want to do.

Realistically, how long would you expect a cassette to last on an ebike? I understand it gets a fair amount more torque than a regular bike but I am looking at replacing it every 1000Km's? Should I be thinking about a ''stronger'' cassette compared to the SRAM that is on there from factory?
I have a 2019 Giant Trance +1 Pro. Roughly 50% of my riding is on a river trail to the MTB Park and then home again. Most of the year is dry tracks, sometime dusty, very little riding in mud or slush.
The bike is lightly washed (spray) after every ride, and chain is wiped down on a work stand. Once a week, the chain gets lubricated with TF2 Dry Lubricant.
The MTB Park is all up tracks or down tracks, so the full range of gears are used. My first chain and cassette lasted 4195 km before the LBS said they were knackered and replaced them (NZD$283). That new chain and cassette lasted 3300 km B4 needing replacing. Cost NZD$321-00..
DeRailleur & cable replaced at 8618.
The third new chain and cassette only lasted 1650 km - $301 to replace. I now find after 1400 Km, this chain and cassette need replacing.
My local LBS suggested after the 2nd replacement chain/cassette, that I replace the chain after it shows 0.5% wear rather than 0.75% wear
as per chain manufacturers specifications. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
It is always the two 'smallest' cogs on the cassette that wear, but I suppose that is understandable as they have the fewest number of teeth.
I don't have the answer, but in my humble opinion, it depends on many factors, and I list just a few. Your riding weight. How harsh you are on changing gears - do you pause slightly when changing?. Type of terrain. Weather and track conditions - wet, muddy, dusty etc.
I note you appear to ride mainly on roads on the flat, so your two smallest cogs are getting a lot of use and hence a lot of wear, especially if you are 'going for it'. Your LBS is quite correct. You need to raise your cadence. If you are unsure, there are plenty of items on Cadence on YouTube which will assist you.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Si je peux etre honnete apprenez a les faire durer.
Shiftez en douceur, changez la chaine plus tot, éviter les modes max assist et auto.
Augmentez votre cadence

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Cassettes last as long as the chain. If you rotate chains to match the wear you will get 2x or 3x the life out of them. Also fitting a bigger front ring will move the rear to more teeth sharing more of the load. I expect at least 5-6k out of 2 chains and 1 cassette. This is on a DH bike that goes straight up and then straight down.

After 500 miles I rotated my first chain and hung it next a new XT chain. It showed Zero difference in total length. I was planning on 3 chains, but at the current wear rate 2 is all I need.

Since everything is wearing together, you can use it for far longer. A new chain would skip while the used chain just doesn't shift as good.

Edit
It also sounds like you aren't wearing out the cassette, you are wearing out a gear on the cassette. In this case you need to get several of those gears or spread the wear over several other gears. If you only use 1 small gear then 1k is a lot. Its the same as using a 12 speed evenly for 12k. But it's ends up being an even a bigger difference because a 30 tooth gear wears at 1/2 the rate of a 15.

Last edited:

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
At 1000km my Trance E+2 cassette broke when a pin snapped. This Deore unit was replaced by Shimano who described it as barely worn. I was riding Australian mountain trails all the time. No way commuting would wear out a cassette that quick unless it's an English winter on rock salted roads.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I know sram used to only recommend the NX cassette for Ebikes as that is a heavier steel cassette. Having said that I am currently running a top of the line 1299 rainbow cassette on my latest bike but not done enough miles to know about wear yet and mostly off road so the gear spread is reasonable. Can you fit a larger chain ring which would help with using less of the small gears.

I did use the Eagle NX cassette on my turbo levy prior to upgrading the bike for around 1000 miles and no real wear showing on that.

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk

Your bike ship is correct, and you got a 1000km on two gears, if you spread the load across the cassette it’s lasts ages. Remember they’re designed for off load use, not really road riding. So it’s normal to ware out cassettes like this, especially when rode in turbo.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Fit a larger front sprocket, that'll make you run higher up the cassette for the same gearing. Don't forget that the smaller sprockets on the cassette also wear faster, so running on a larger rear sprocket will also help it last longer.
Both my emtb have done over 2000 miles on the same 12 speed cassettes, I've recently changed my fs to an 11 speed cassette, but that was because the original was a sunrace and I was never happy with the shifting.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
My 2022 Levo comp has done 4741 km on the same cassette and chain.
To lube and use all gears is key.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What wears the cassette is worn chains. Cheap chains tend to wear faster and therefore wear all the other parts of the drivetrain. If you buy better quality chains they will last longer and so will the rest of the drivetrain.

For example, when I first started in mtb, I used to buy the cheapest Shimano or Sram chains I could find (they were 9-speed). I got 3 chains out of each cassette, but each chain only lasted 500-550 miles. This continued as I moved into 10-speed gears. My first 11-speed bike came with XO1 transmission and an XX1 chain I did over 1400 miles on that chain and it was still at 0.25% wear extension. Quality chains last.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales

Sound like you could almost run single speed?

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
And while this is a relatively older thread, I'll throw out the suggestion that Shimano Linkglide may help with future drivetrain wear, especially on emtb's. I don't own stock in Shimano, but I do have a free Shimano T-shirt the boss gave me at the shop. I think Shimano is on to something with the Linkglide design as far as wear and durability...oh, and especially when you consider pricing for value also.

So...as to the original question of "how long should a cassette last?"...maybe we're in a better place for that now. However, I can see this issue devolving into a "what motor oil is best" debate. :ROFLMAO:

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Just over 2500 miles on the original slx cassette and xx1 chain and still running well.
Wipe the chain clean after every ride and lube with 0-30w engine oil.
Seems to work just fine
All the best

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
This 👆. Something I learned the hard way. The 5€ chain wear measuring tool and a new chain at the right time is way cheaper and less hassle than a new cassette.

On ebikes with mid-motors, chains will wear out quicker than on analogue bikes.

Regarding Linkglide, there's a review here: Review - Shimano Linkglide 10 speed drivetrain.
That review you linked is almost identical to my experience with Linkglide. However, my setup is the even less expensive Shimano CUES Linkglide in 9-speed. I have a lot more miles on my setup which started being installed on a 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit with a Bafang BBSHD and then transferred to my Trek Rail 7. I pulled the new OEM 12-speed drivetrain off and put it on the shelf. I'm at 300 miles on the Rail and had about 150 miles on the Bullit. I don't know how long this drivetrain will last, but it is used for real off road trails and aggressive use. The Rail is ridden exclusively in Turbo mode. I've not experienced any degradation in shifting quality or any issue for that matter. I do not ride in mud or any water to speak of, and I lube the chain liberally with Boeshield T9...wiping off any excess after a few minutes. Our Shimano rep claimed the new CUES Linkglide is ebike rated and much more durable than previous generations of less expensive levels of MTB drivetrains. So far the experiment seems to be supporting that claim. More time will tell.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I think it will last a while if your easy on it. Not mashing the gears on full torque will make it last longer.

Albertocsoares

Aug 19, 2023
Brazil
First set changed at 5.000km, still using the second set, my Spec SL is now over 10.000km, clean only once a month, white oil every ride. First set I changed the chain with 3.000km, tried to do the same on the second set at 8.000km but the chain did not fit properly, still using the old chain.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles