How long before motors start incorporating gears?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, already being done by Continental on their bike motor. Quite a few threads on the subject, main issue at the moment is bulk and size of doing it.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
Dont think so, what if you go beyond the speed limit or out of power. You’ll have to move the motor all by yourself.
It would also negatively influence the form factor and beside that, ...no fan of incorparating multiple drive techniques in one package (drive and gearing)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Actually I think gearboxes are the future for all MTB's not just bikes, its long been the holy grail, because you minimise maintenance, move weight off the rear end of the bike which improves the unsprung weight and suspension performance, and allows you to build a stronger wheel due to not needing to accomodate the cassette, plus you dont have chainline issues, or a derailleur hanging off the bike just waiting to get bent in a crash

The main problem with gearbox bikes at the moment is that they weight a lot, and tend not to be able to shift under load.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
Gearboxes and incorporating gears in a motor are different things.
The big backdraw of gearboxes is that it gives you a load of drag simply because you have to move a s**tload of sprockets and all. Why make it heavier, more complex and less efficient?
One day something will inevitably come up.....no time soon though

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
your not wrong, but when someone cracks it, and makes a lightweight smooth changing gearbox then the industry will jump on it

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Here's a short video of the internals of the nuvinci, which is what continental have mated with their motor .. so no physical gears.

Or maybe someone will be inspired by Koenigsegg's Jesco gearbox which throws all the normal concepts in the bin and starts again so you need less gears which are doubled up in different configurations to give you more speeds.

No, I'm not suggesting you stuff a 90kg dual clutch gearbox on your MTB, that would weigh more than my 24kg Kers system .. but a simpler, considerably smaller and lighter system could be the way to go .. not even Gary in a rage has 1600hp.... maybe 1000, but not 1600 ..

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
The battery tech has to get to the point where it can offset the extra weight. Or the size of the battery is smaller to a gearbox and motor can fill part of the down tube. Would be super expensive for the materials to be light and durable. Added to that extra maintenance costs.

It's a really cool thought. If you had a hydraulic setup then you could potentially be looking at having an automatic. Most of these only have 3 gears... CVT idea is great but again maintenance is key along with the space to have the drums setup.

We ain't far away from bionic limbs so we might see this sooner!

Great post btw!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I think it's inevitable, especially as motors get more torque-y. Every year motors get stronger and we're still relying on mtb drivetrains that at some point, aren't going to be up to the task. By the time you ditch all the cables, pizza pie cassettes and mech, it's only like 2 pounds more as it is now, and that is for a gearbox with a 600% range, much more than we need. I bet some clever engineers are working on integrated systems that will only be a pound and change heavier. I for one welcome our future gearbox overlords. Besides the fact that they last FOREVER, gearbox bikes ride better moving the weight to the BB.

What's The Weight Difference Between Derailleur and Pinion / Rohloff Bikes? - CyclingAbout.com

Derailleur vs Gearbox: Nicolai Ion 16 vs Ion GPI - Review - Pinkbike

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I assume many in British DH cycling have come across Allen Millyard after he built this internal gearbox DH rig for his son back in '07. I wonder if the design could be useful for an e-mtb.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
No doubt the experts will present their judgements that they're too heavy, too expensive, too clunky, too unorthodox, whatever else. Maybe not.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Seems like the concept has been developed by a big player and soon to hit the market?

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.06.24 AM.png

Doesn't look like a light weight contender but the implications for commuter and cargo bikes could be a game changer.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Seems like the concept has been developed by a big player and soon to hit the market?

View attachment 47588

Doesn't look like a light weight contender but the implications for commuter and cargo bikes could be a game changer.
Indeed .. the same one was brought up in another thread earlier today :

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Is it only me that gets satisfaction from clicking down or up the box on a well set up conventual system?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Indeed .. the same one was brought up in another thread earlier today :

So that means I'm first loser I guess? I did look through the headers and this is the thread that popped up. I'm so sorry that I provided info that already was proprietary to another user on another thread but at least mine included an illustration :cool:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So that means I'm first loser I guess? I did look through the headers and this is the thread that popped up. I'm so sorry that I provided info that already was proprietary to another user on another thread but at least mine included an illustration :cool:
Arguably, this is the original thread... So you put it in the correct place .?

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Gearbox in the motor has safety issues. The chainring rotates significantly faster than you pedal and your leg pans sleeve can be sucked in between the chain/belt and the the chainring/pulley with dramatic consequences.

The chainring area must be completely covered by shroud on ebikes with middle gearbox.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's interesting that with the Valeo unit they've put the output shaft/chainring on the crank shaft :

valeo.jpg

Where as the default effigear outputs separately :

effigear outside.jpg

As @TPEHAK has mentioned and was discussed in the other thread. You then have a chainring spinning at a different rate to the cranks/your feet/ankles - so glancing the chain ring is no longer just a touch of something moving at the same speed (or feeding your trousers in when you're 12 years old and forgot about socks or bicycle clips) But instead, it's a chainsaw MM's from your body.

So this really needs some kind of guard/protection. On the flip side, you could then set it up so it's constantly turning with the wheel, so you could then have future mid-drives with re-gen/engine braking .

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think probably what will eventuate is something that has already been tested - an internal derailleur.
From memory when I read up on this a few years back the problem was width. However, with boost spacing I don't see that as too much of an issue.
Have to see if I can find the article. Basically the pedal crankshaft had a sliding sprocket on it with a spring loaded jockey wheel that kep[t tension on a chain that connected to an 8 speed cassette that was on a jack-shaft above the crankshaft. On the outside of that was a smallish sprocket with the chain to the rear wheel from there. I think the concept was used on a couple downhill bikes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think probably what will eventuate is something that has already been tested - an internal derailleur.
From memory when I read up on this a few years back the problem was width. However, with boost spacing I don't see that as too much of an issue.
Have to see if I can find the article. Basically the pedal crankshaft had a sliding sprocket on it with a spring loaded jockey wheel that kep[t tension on a chain that connected to an 8 speed cassette that was on a jack-shaft above the crankshaft. On the outside of that was a smallish sprocket with the chain to the rear wheel from there. I think the concept was used on a couple downhill bikes.
I'm guessing you're talking about the Honda Rn01 ?

rn01.jpg

Which had a derailleur stuffed in the middle basically ..

rn01box.jpg

rn01box2.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I'm guessing you're talking about the Honda Rn01 ?

Which had a derailleur stuffed in the middle basically ..

Yup, but dammit I forgot it was the Honda - I got to 'ride' that when the worlds were at Rotorua. When I say ride - I mean coast down a gentle slope while sitting on it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles