How i came to decide on not so new that no one wants to know.

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
It's amazing, I never have any trouble in buying anything usually, Car's, look at what I need (estate, 4x4, saloon etc.) read the reviews see a couple of YouTube videos search the internet and then go and find the one you want, easy. I also sail a dinghy, that’s a simple, what class of boats are sailed/raced local, does the daughter like it can we both handle it etc you know the sequence, it's easy.

As for the clubs, you get the gear envy and snobbery which can be painful at times but you can usually ignore the Hyacinths and Jones's (apologies if anyone reading this is a Jones or Hyacinth no offence intended). Most members are just down to earth nice people willing to help. The strength of the club or class come from its members.

However, taking up a new sport like mountain biking I am not finding this task as easy as I expected.
Not because I suffer from wanting the best although I do want to get the best I can afford as well as we all do, I have a set budget for everything, including the rack. It's just a longer process than expected with more variables in the mix than I had thought possible.

What to buy, New or not so New.
When I started my quest, I rode the Haibike hard seven first from Cycle Republic, it was in my price range and it looked cool, loved it to bits, smashing and promptly put my order in, I got over excited,

I then went and took a Moustache Samedi 27 Race 6 out a few days later (my mates’ bike) and loved that even more, bit more money, but I just won’t get the bike rack was my thoughts. Then I was spoken to by my lovely wife who made me ask the question is the Haibike the right decision.

I hit the internet for the answer to the question everyone asks, what is the best bike for me.

The type, a full suspension bike, because I love the buzz of the trail riding and going at speed downhill.
The make of bike don't really seem to matter at this stage, I have ridden a Cube, Haibike, Moustache, Trek, and Levo, each and every one made me smile, all were different of course, none were set up for me specifically they were here you go and ride. But the biggest smile was the Levo and I don't really know why, it might have been because it was a sunny day and it was a dam good ride.
My search lead to me finding this forum (Thank you Rob for having the vision and motivation to create it) and spoke to and went to meet a few people read the articles and listened, you are an amazing bunch of very knowledgeable and helpful people thank you.

However, you got me thinking, do I need a NEW bike, why should i buy a NEW bike, you read about people buying second hand with no issues, bike shops happy to trade in and send them back out again offering support in the form of a basic warranty. So, what's the problem.
So, you’re not getting the 2019 model but any glitches that the 2017/18 model had would have been ironed out by the previous owner, as long as it’s been serviced regularly, your good to go aren't you.

The question rattling around in my head is, what life the bike had before, was it abused, miss treated, got faults.
It's the same buying anything second hand, where and who you buy it from matters, it's a chance, you can reduce that a bit by using these forums to ask questions and reading posts other people have put up about their bike, doing as much research as possible and taking it for a ride, working on the fact if it feels ok then it probably is, if in doubt ask someone.

So, for me it's going to be second hand rather than new, I feel that I will get more for less, concerns about a particular bike manufacture or bike shop before I hand over my cash I can at least ask if anyone else has had any bad experience with them.
I have been watching eBay with interest, it's a good guide on second hand prices you can expect to pay, I've put the odd cheeky bid in with the view that if I got it for that price I could afford to change the motor and or forks if found to be faulty. You can guess I haven't won yet. Ha-ha.
Personally, I have concluded I would prefer to buy from a dealer, and buy one they have taken as a trade in they have looked after, it will improve my odds of getting something good, ok they have to make a bit themselves but that's the cost of reducing your risk.

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
I agree: there are some good deals out there on second hand, and E-bikes depreciate like a stone as the bikes seem to upgrade year after year. Last year’s model can be half price or even better.

Ideally you want hardly used, one careful owner which I have had with many bikes. Warranties that are transferable seal the deal.

I have made only one bad purchase second hand and it cost me 25% of the bike cost to fix it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you prepared to consider a new bike from previous years, ie not a 2019. Even in November, the 2018 bikes were on offer. I can't imagine what they might be on offer for now, provided you can find one to fit you. there could be a brand new low priced bike out there just for you!

One other small piece of advice I would give is to think about the motor when test riding the bikes. Are you OK with the drag when the motor is "off" or past the cut off level. Or do you not care about that at all? Some do, some don't.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Does anyone know some real study comparing energy spendig in diferente motors in off mode?

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
I haven’t seen a study on the motors, but Robs done an interesting video about motors
worth a watch ?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Buying used when getting into a sport is a good idea and i usually recommend it. Even though every mountain bike is rode "hard"
It's just a matter of when you'll need to do maintenance stuff like replace suspension bearings and rebuild a fork or shock with new seals and oil. Neither of these tasks are particularly hard, or expensive and there are YouTube videos you can watch on how to perform these services. If you've worked on cars or 4x4, working on bicycle is easy and so much less frustrating.

The best part about mountain biking is there are always people wanting the next best thing and constantly upgrading, so there is always a good supply of highend used bikes. Although eBikes are pretty new, there much less of them around compared to normal MTB's but im sure you'll find just what you're looking for!

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
Thanks dirt huffer, with any luck I might have found the gem I’ve been looking for, I’ll let you know after my visit to Berkshire cycles tomorrow ?

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
You know what I am going to be criticised he for saying this but, I don't like the look of the stem and bars Arrrrrr. I can't believe it. I was sooooooo looking forward to it. I can't take it for a ride because I'm at home with the Flu. I was willing to buy from the photos, only because it's Berkshire cycles and they are a very trusted source. Its £3200 fully serviced only seen 100 or so miles, it's its its !!! I feel a little frustrated. They are going to go back to the owner to see if he still have the originals, it's a private sale through the shop so not down to them. Am I being to fussy for goodness sake. I know its a nearly new bike.... But its £200 over budget and although good Bars and stem I just don't like to look of them on that bike.

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

TPP

Oct 1, 2018
Leeds
I'm sure you could find a Kenevo owner on here with the original bars and stem that would swap you for the Renthal/RaceFace. I would, but I live in France and posting would be a bit of a nuisance and would require a lot of trust on both sides

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Dont let the bars and stem looks only put you off!!

You could sell them if needed... That stuff is easily replaced. Is the sizing correct for you?

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
Bars and stem are very mych anpersonal preference thing, but also critical to set up for the rider. I came from a shorter reach 2012 Transition Bandit to a 2019 Trek Powerfly and found that I needed to raise the bars and change the grips to reduce pain in my hands. Bars should be considered a tuning item for bike fit.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
It looks like someone cut the steerer to soon to make the bike aesthetically pleasing* then realised they wanted a higher bar position & chucked money at buying "upgrades".

* I may of done this myself :whistle:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Lol renthal bars are some of the best on the market and lots nicer than the specialized bars. Are they carbon or ally? Either way probably someone on here would swap for standard bars.

Back on topic, I would be wary of buying a used ebike without warranty unless it was super cheap. Drivetrains suffer with ebike torque, UK weather and unsympathetic shifting. Motors suffer, bosch seem to last about 9 months, the new brose seems to last about 9 minutes. Warranty is key.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
So I bought second hand and it’s been a bit of a nightmare.

Needed a new cassette and chain. Then the shifter cables were catching causing shifting problems. Brake lever nut broke this weekend where it had been gorillered before. No back brake all afternoon ?? Needed new pads after a month. Then a brake bleed. Motor housing screws are all broken meaning I’m running gorilla tape to keep it together, and that needs at some point to go back to a spesh dealer to have fixed. It did have a new motor and battery though..

So far I’ve spent £700 in workshop parts and labour on it. I’m very happy with it, and got a good price and have riden it a lot. I could do the work myself but I don’t have the time or space at home.

I took the risk and it’s cost a fair bit, but hey, these things happen and I don’t blame the previous owner As i don’t think he knew it had issues. It was just very well used and a new motor and battery implied that!

If and when I was buying second hand again I would get it from a dealer like Berkshire, like you are, so you’ve got at least some recourse. I realise this story isn’t a good one second hand but many have had no issues at all.

The cost/benefit to me is huge despite it so far being a bit of a money pit ?

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
I would be too suspicious if you ask why it's for sale , you are not likely to get the truth
In this instance he had brought a 2019 bike and needed the money to pay the balance. Dealers have to take their cut if they sell it themselves, they are taking the risk, and I do get where your coming from they are not selling but the owner is and will I really know why. Probably not, but considering they sold it to him new and serviced it, it would have been a lower risk than a direct private sale.

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
Lol renthal bars are some of the best on the market and lots nicer than the specialized bars. Are they carbon or ally? Either way probably someone on here would swap for standard bars.

Back on topic, I would be wary of buying a used ebike without warranty unless it was super cheap. Drivetrains suffer with ebike torque, UK weather and unsympathetic shifting. Motors suffer, bosch seem to last about 9 months, the new brose seems to last about 9 minutes. Warranty is key.
That’s interesting Dax I wouldn’t have thought of that, you just think a motor is a motor and I guess you expect it to go on for ever.. Drive trains I would expect with a cassette to change as often as break pads it’s the nature of the beast. I have not looked into the cost of replacing a motor, and maybe I could do some research on the subject, I guess there is a whole another subject here I am sure people that have 2016/17 bikes if haven’t already would like to know if the 2018 motor will fit for an upgrade. Sorry digressed. So then yes a warranty is paramount and I sort of realised that to a degree.

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
So I bought second hand and it’s been a bit of a nightmare.

Needed a new cassette and chain. Then the shifter cables were catching causing shifting problems. Brake lever nut broke this weekend where it had been gorillered before. No back brake all afternoon ?? Needed new pads after a month. Then a brake bleed. Motor housing screws are all broken meaning I’m running gorilla tape to keep it together, and that needs at some point to go back to a spesh dealer to have fixed. It did have a new motor and battery though..

So far I’ve spent £700 in workshop parts and labour on it. I’m very happy with it, and got a good price and have riden it a lot. I could do the work myself but I don’t have the time or space at home.

I took the risk and it’s cost a fair bit, but hey, these things happen and I don’t blame the previous owner As i don’t think he knew it had issues. It was just very well used and a new motor and battery implied that!

If and when I was buying second hand again I would get it from a dealer like Berkshire, like you are, so you’ve got at least some recourse. I realise this story isn’t a good one second hand but many have had no issues at all.

The cost/benefit to me is huge despite it so far being a bit of a money pit ?
I know that experience Jonny2, you think you go a deal and then you still end up doing the basic maintenance because the previous owner didn’t, if you are anything like me I would end up just working through the bike changing bits because my standards are different to the previous owners, and of course things fail anyway which sometimes take president. But at least you got what your happy with, that’s the key. And I must admit the Kenevo as nice as it was didn’t tick all the boxes, if it was a turbo Levo in blue....... ha-ha who knows, not for my money though.

Reactions: Bis

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Motors are £700-900.

Make sure you price up a modern drivetrain, cassette, mech and chain for my kenevo are much more expensive than my previous bike

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
The cassette, mech and chain for my Levo was £220. I hope I don’t need a new motor anytime soon that’s for sure but it was changed out last Oct.

I would love a Kenevo but just holding out for the 2019 to see what that’s like, as well as every other bike that seems to be dropping this summer ?

Let us know how you get on Rob.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Also make sure you are happy with its weight as is must be the heaviest EMTB out there? I have been fettling one in my lbs but I just can't get past how heavy it feels, it makes my moterra feel light weight. I don't know why they are so heavy?

Rob Back

Patreon
Jan 20, 2019
Southampton
Also make sure you are happy with its weight as is must be the heaviest EMTB out there? I have been fettling one in my lbs but I just can't get past how heavy it feels, it makes my moterra feel light weight. I don't know why they are so heavy?
I know my KTM 175 Trials bike was a really light bike, and very fast, but the weight was in a different place, 2 gallons of fuel just in front of you didnt help. The ballance was such if you put the weight too far back the bike will land on top of you, (the voice of experience lol)
Until they can make batteries that weigh ounces rather than pounds they will always have the weight of a small motocross or trials bike. Are they as much fun.... I'll tell you later when I have had one for a few months, but they can be ridden in more places than I could ride my trials bike.
The weight is not an issue for me as much as long as i can put it on my bike rack and ride it up hill, I'm not bothered about a couple of pounds at the moment, my fitness is more in question than the bikes weight lol, they will get lighter as the technology improves.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I would be too suspicious if you ask why it's for sale , you are not likely to get the truth
This bike is being sold by Berkshire cycles who are second to none on customer service. If there was a problem with it they would have clocked on to it when it was traded in. If there is an issue with it after the sale I am sure it will be resolved.

I suspect the previous owner purchased a 2019 but who knows.... he may have been abducted by aliens and his wife had no use for it so she sold it on to Berkshire cycles ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles