How good are lyrik ultimate compared to fox factory 36 grip2?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Its just rockshox proprietary axle stiffening mechanism, they're called torque caps but they're not available for all hubs, if you cant get them for your hub, just run without, it makes a tiny tiny difference to stiffness.

yep, just realised I don't need to use them. The fit it good.. ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a 2019 Grip2 36 and bought a Lyrik Ultimate. I hated it with a passion. It dived at the slightest hint of steepness. I had to run it with about 15psi over recommended and had the comp dials at full hard just to provide some support but the clicks had very little effect compared to a Grip2 damper. It still felt like it had 20mm less travel than my 36. I'll never buy a rockshox fork again.
Did you try adding tokens to the air side?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
As a female, I am always so surprised by the mount of 'don't tell my wife' / 'my wife won't let me' / 'my wife doesn't get it' / and so on on bike forums. Even if it may be used as a joke it comes off a bit... odd, maybe somewhat disrespectful?
And yet you chose to quote my post ..who doesn't have a problem telling his missus anything at all !
If it bothers you so much then have a go at the bloke who is hiding things from his wife ( sorry Apac ) ..and why would it be disrespectful ..?
Unless you are his missus it shouldn't bother you at all ..its bloke humour ..get over it !

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
I have a Lyrik Ultimate 170mm for my Decoy. Feels really good even without any micro adjustments. I should probably make it a bit more loose for low speed compression, but that can wait until summer.

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
lyriks do sound user friendly for sure. I've found a new 2020 set of 160mm for £630. I'm pretty sure I could get £300 for my 34's? Only done about 6 rides on them. Will it be £300 of 'worth it' once setup?

Also for peanuts you you can upgrade the air spring of the 2020 lyric to the 2021 air spring. Its a must as you get an almost 10% increase in travel and improved small bump compliance.

First Ride: RockShox's Updated DebonAir Air Spring - Pond Beaver 2020

panaphonic

Apr 24, 2020
New Zealand
did you put volume spacers in them. For heavier riders its a must to keep them from diving too much without too much air pressure
Yes I tried but I found they just make it worse. It just became a divey fork that was no longer smooth off the top of it's stroke which made the fork not really have anything going for it. For me tokens only made the fork sit lower at sag then ramp up earlier, giving less useable
travel and bigger impacts would buck the bike back at you severely. If you slow the rebound down to work for the big hits then it's much too slow on smaller bumps at around sag point. The fork also lacks pop off jumps/features when setup like this. The fork was much better set with no tokens and more air. Perhaps for light riders on light non e-bikes this works differently but thats not something I can know.

The Lyrik Ultimate has a bad air spring combined with poor damping. I think they have made the fork really good at one thing: being really plush at low speeds while still being able to be bottomed out by a noob rider who wants to "use all of their suspension".

If you are a timid beginer rider who wants a fork to completely smooth out the trail, get a Lyrik. If you are average to expert rider who does jumps over 8-10ft or drops over 3-4ft, then get the Fox 36/38 with grip2.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
And yet you chose to quote my post ..who doesn't have a problem telling his missus anything at all !
If it bothers you so much then have a go at the bloke who is hiding things from his wife ( sorry Apac ) ..and why would it be disrespectful ..?
Unless you are his missus it shouldn't bother you at all ..its bloke humour ..get over it !

Its an observation, it isn't meant offensive. I am not 'having a go', just making a small point. I just wonder why its a thing on bike forums. Maybe I'm just a lone female in a mans world :).

Also, totally got your point until you said: 'bloke humor, get over it... its not like I lay awake all night wondering how this happened, just an oberservation.

OT: hope you like your lyrixx. I wanted to upgrade my base RockShox to a Fox fork 36, which I bought... and apparantly that is not easily possible due to the specific torque caps. Waiting on Specialized now too ship new end caps, hoping that happens soon. Maybe we can swap end caps?! Thought I'm in Canada, most people here on the forum seem to be over in Europe.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You should be able to swap out the torque caps, a good bike shop should be able to help.
Yes I tried but I found they just make it worse. It just became a divey fork that was no longer smooth off the top of it's stroke which made the fork not really have anything going for it. For me tokens only made the fork sit lower at sag then ramp up earlier, giving less useable
travel and bigger impacts would buck the bike back at you severely. If you slow the rebound down to work for the big hits then it's much too slow on smaller bumps at around sag point. The fork also lacks pop off jumps/features when setup like this. The fork was much better set with no tokens and more air. Perhaps for light riders on light non e-bikes this works differently but thats not something I can know.

The Lyrik Ultimate has a bad air spring combined with poor damping. I think they have made the fork really good at one thing: being really plush at low speeds while still being able to be bottomed out by a noob rider who wants to "use all of their suspension".

If you are a timid beginer rider who wants a fork to completely smooth out the trail, get a Lyrik. If you are average to expert rider who does jumps over 8-10ft or drops over 3-4ft, then get the Fox 36/38 with grip2.
I couldn't disagree with you more on this, but I respect you opinion that you prefer the 36, however the Lyric Ultimate has been on the EWS winners bike for the past 3 season, was on both bikes that won the EWS-E this year, has won multiple best in test features in magazines, graces some of the heaviest hitters bikes, and was the fork Jordie Lunn (rip) used in one of the gnarliest free ride sections of recent years.

Its a great fork, just one that you didn't get on with.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
It's fitted to my bike now so there's no going back. Will be taking it Cwmcarn tomorrow which is just 20 minutes from me.
if it does end up feeling 'wollowy' or dives maybe the *New* air spring seal head could prop it up a bit.
i'll stick to the 2 installed tokens and just add a bit of low speed compression and go from there.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Its an observation, it isn't meant offensive. I am not 'having a go', just making a small point. I just wonder why its a thing on bike forums. Maybe I'm just a lone female in a mans world :).

Also, totally got your point until you said: 'bloke humor, get over it... its not like I lay awake all night wondering how this happened, just an oberservation.
It's probably way more common on "Married people" dating sites. "Ok, I'll meet you at 3pm behind the bike sheds, but don't tell the Mrs/Husband..."

As a lady who's into mountain biking, you also probably (maybe...) spend a lot less time on bagit.com - one of the most popular handbag forums on the internet. Where "Yes, I know I already have a Hermès Chaine, but this is a different colour, don't tell the husband" is the third highest regular line used on there.

Scientifically speaking, most bike related purchases are justified through the use of "Man Maths", certainly for many men - where it's possible to prove that something is a viable investment because it will make things better/safer/faster. The problem with Man Maths is that it completely falls apart under even the slightest scrutiny. It's therefore logical for partners not to know about these "Investments" as the end result is instead of one person being happy one one person being blissfully unaware, you end up with two people who are unhappy.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
he Lyrik Ultimate has a bad air spring combined with poor damping. I think they have made the fork really good at one thing: being really plush at low speeds while still being able to be bottomed out by a noob rider who wants to "use all of their suspension".

Well that's absolute bollocks.
And riding a 4ft drop or 10ft jump does not make you an expert. Far from it.

Sounds like you simply don't know how to set up air pressure with regards to sag and rider weight/style.
RS recommendations are not very accurate. But if you know what you're doing you'd never look at them anyway.
Also, The 2021 debonair spring is actually slightly less soft at beginning stroke over previous model years.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I don’t tell my wife cos she doesn’t give a shit and have zero interest in any of my bikes ?

I once sold a fireblade race bike, bought a new zx10r and she comes in the workshop and says....

“Why you paint the bike that shit green colour?!”

Just shrugged my shoulders and smiled as she clocked it was a different bike and asked if I wanted a cup of tea ?

Much like I couldn’t care less when she comes home and thinks I don’t realise she hides shopping bags inside others to mask the spending ?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I don’t tell my wife cos she doesn’t give a shit and have zero interest in any of my bikes ?

I once sold a fireblade race bike, bought a new zx10r and she comes in the workshop and says....

“Why you paint the bike that shit green colour?!”

Just shrugged my shoulders and smiled as she clocked it was a different bike and asked if I wanted a cup of tea ?

Much like I couldn’t care less when she comes home and thinks I don’t realise she hides shopping bags inside others to mask the spending ?
True dat. At least for my wife
When I change cars, the only thing of interest is what color?

And we certainly have more unused clothes, bags, and shoes than bike parts.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Any experiences with different or preferred setups with the 2020/21 Lyrik?
Srams guide would put me at two bottomless tokens, 90psi and nearly 30% sag ?
Anyone tried removing tokens, adding more air and going for 15-20% sag?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
With the lyric you’re getting a fork that’s only a little more sturdy than the fox 34!! Lyric is 35mm.

if I was light weight then NBD.
If I was bothered by that I would have bought 38's. Are you going to buy the single crown 40's when they come out?
A little more sturdy is what I'm after, and once you actually start de-constructing what makes a fork stiff or compliant there's a lot more to consider than just the outer diameter of stanchions.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Or you could add a token and drop the air slightly. I can't remember what you weighed ? It depends what you want from them ?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Or you could add a token and drop the air slightly. I can't remember what you weighed ? It depends what you want from them ?
Having tokens sometimes makes suspension suddenly come to a halt as the ramp up is too fierce. You then have a very smooth ride to begin the stroke and then a jarring one all of a sudden 2/3rd the way through. anyway, a bit playing around will be needed as always with these things. The main trails at Cwmcarn are steep and technical with rocks n roots galore. Deep pillow softness don't cut it. I might take a pump n wrench and try a couple of different setup on the new short trial (Pwca) which is practically a pump track imo.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have the lyrik with the 160 2021 upgrade - its worth it, especially compared to the 34 which IMO is a pile of shit.
I have been through every setup option for my lyrik, @Gary is right that its not as plush off the top but it doesnt matter, its a much better fork after the upgrade and it was good before that.

I have tried 0-4 bottomless tokens with varying pressures and rebound settings. I weigh 105kg-ish ,
more than 2 tokens, regardless of pressure the fork would ramp up too much, I rode it with 4 initially at low (65) pressure but I would never use all the travel and it was harsh at the top of the travel. 3 tokens I used for ages with about 75psi but it was similar to 4 tokens. 2 tokens was great and stable at around 85 psi but in the end I used just one with 90psi and quite a slow rebound setting, going to a bikepark (Cwm Rhaeadr) helped me get it tuned in that last little bit, I took tools and a shock pump etc.. it tracks well and I use 95% of the travel most rides even with decent drops thrown in.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ignore SRAM's recomended settings.
Read the suspension set-up sticky post at the top of this forum and start from there.

I run zero tokens in both my lyriks. and sub 20% sag

I'm not you though ;)

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Had numerous fox 36, much prefer the lyric, some 2020 lyrics don’t have the new damper in which is such a cheap upgrade . Wrote my mates 38s other day and felt so overkill for anything apart from downhill..

its Good we have choice as I think a lot is down to personal preference. The mazzorici bomber is just. A fox for fraction of cost.

edit : not damper, air spring as pointed out below. Stops it suck in 10-15% of its travel.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A Lyrik damper is not cheap
And although Marzocchi was bought by Fox and the Z1 and 36 do share some parts, They are not the same fork.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
the newer air chamber seal/head and bottom nut is all that's needed for the upgrade. yep, only about £20-£25
.......**upgrade kit**

Thats not the damper......thats all on the air spring side.

Looks like the rc2 charger 2.1 damper is around £300.

But I think "rich the gasman" meant that the newer airspring (not the damper as per his post) is a cheap upgrade -which is correct

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As above. The new air spring has nothing to do with damping. And it's not necessarily an upgrade either. It's just different.
And if you do fit one you also need to re-evaluate your sag when setting the fork up.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Thats not the damper......thats all on the air spring side.

Looks like the rc2 charger 2.1 damper is around £300.

But I think "rich the gasman" meant that the newer airspring (not the damper as per his post) is a cheap upgrade -which is correct

apologies, was early this morning. Didn't read properly.?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I took the bike out this morning (cwmcarn) to test ride the lyriks. I did the 9km 'Pwca' trail to get a feel for the forks. I did this track 3 times and tried differing setups. A mix of rolling humps, Burms and some fast short descents.... real good fun until the upper legs start burning?. Tried sram recommendations (90psi) and fully open compression and the forks were.. errr.. soft like riding on a magic carpet. Added 5 clicks of LSC and there was a bit more support in the first part of the stroke and the ground feedback was much better so I left it there. I then removed one of the tokens and added an extra 20pis which made the sag just under 25%. This was now a completely different fork. Loads more support, generally higher in travel , firmer but still able to use 90% of stroke. I took the bike on the 'Twrch' trail which is single track technical 14km with lots of up hill roots n rocks and eventually a fast downhill run back to the car park. the ride was much faster due to the firmer setup, in fact it was all a bit too fast n firm for me and the bike spat me off at one point?. Burms so much more fun, quicker direction changes whilst snaking. The ride in general was much faster and confident but maybe a bit too firm later on in the stroke leading to badly balanced moments when landing. Taking 10psi out made it more manageable. I will have to try no tokens next time. It was really interesting comparing the fork behaviour. But, I still ain't found what's right for me. Well happy with the forks.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles