How far is your nearest trail ?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
After buying the bike Christmas eve I have discovered so many more trails around my local area than I new existed, most are tucked away in the woods and most were unnoticeable to me years ago when I rode a traditional mtb, the e mtb allows me to go places I couldn't be bothered peddling to encase it was a dead end or unachievable hill .

For me to get to any decent trails its a 10 mile road ride. 15 miles opens up some fantastic wood land ( one way trip ) , its boring road work but I guess its still part of the fun :rolleyes:
Roll on summer in the Uk because although I have spotted all these trails in the woods non are remotely rideable as there a mud fest.

How far do you guys pedal for a decent ride out or do you just throw the bike in the car or van if any road work is involved?

I guess it depends where you live and how fortunate you are to how close you live to the country side but I have noticed in my short riding time on the bike it does allow you to explore so much local ground and trails you soon find yourself doing the same routes to often.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Plenty of trails on my front door, but nothing that exciting, but still great that I can put together a 20-30 mile loop together with only a couple of miles of road riding in the mix.

Best parts of the Surrey Hills are under half an hour away though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have ridden to death all the local green lanes, towpaths and old railway lines when I had a hybrid analogue bike. Right about the time I was bored with them I discovered that mountain bikes existed, so I bought one. The first trail I went to is the one I still go to most frequently even now. It is 28 miles and 35 mins away. I have been riding it since 2008 and it changes every year.

If it is so muddy that I can't be arsed to ride it, I'll do an 18 mile mostly road trip, returning on an old railway track bed. But I have to be desperate. There is the Viking Way and the Sewstern Way, both old bridleways that I could ride without using the car, but they come with clay mud. That makes them a summer option only, see pic for why.

Focus mud.jpg

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Everyone seems to be reasonably close.
It's a 150 mile round trip to Surrey Hills for me and that involves going through the dartford tunnel.
We do this most weekend's.
Mad really ?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
About 900m to my local track. Not that I want to ride it often as it is a XC race track mainly but it is somewhere to ride.
I prefer places with hills.
Oropi - 111km
Rotorua - 119km
Taupo - 155km
Te Miro - 45km
Tokoroa - 95km

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Everyone seems to be reasonably close.
It's a 150 mile round trip to Surrey Hills for me and that involves going through the dartford tunnel.
We do this most weekend's.
Mad really ?

wow. you think it's that good?

I live basically in the middle of it. s'ok!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got one that’s a mile from my house. One forest leads into another, and there’s a few decent trails in there and a good 16 mile loop. Getting there is probably the only time I ever take my bike on the road!

I tend to ride ones that are about 25 miles away - 30mins in the car - as they have more variety. I have another quite expanse forest about 6 miles away - 15mins in the car - that’s decent too.
These are my regular ones, but I have plenty others within a 30-45min car journey that I’ll be exploring more now I have a motor!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
5 metres from the back of the shed to where the single track starts into the Glasshouse Mts. A forestry worker once told me that there are around 5,000km of tracks through the forestry and then there are the National Parks tracks on top of that. Have to share with MX bikes and 4WDs but still spoiled really.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
wow. you think it's that good?

I live basically in the middle of it. s'ok!
Unfortunately I live in the wrong part of the UK for this sport, it's the nearest to me for decent riding.
We also do lots of trips to Wales and further afield, but they are too far for regular rides.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a trail which starts at the end of my drive and leads to loads of further trails. In the oposite direction is 200m of double track alongside a field leading up to woods containing another of my trails. 400m futher on there are 3 downhill singletrack trails that lead to another wood with jumps.
I built and maintain every one of those trails (and many others).
Instead of moaning about the lack of local riding or relying on the faff of driving you could always start digging.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
5 metres from the back of the shed to where the single track starts into the Glasshouse Mts. A forestry worker once told me that there are around 5,000km of tracks through the forestry and then there are the National Parks tracks on top of that. Have to share with MX bikes and 4WDs but still spoiled really.
I’ll never get out and explore all the trails in the area, there are just too many. Did a few a while back riding from the Steve Irwin to Woodford return which was about 65km. There’s some great stuff just south west of Peachester. I have only done group rides out in the area so don’t really know it all too well.
The best single trail is in the boneyards however,.. a place I know well.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I have a plethora of trails right on my doorstep, one trail is literally just out a laneway between my neighbours houses and I'm on the trail.

If I had to transport my bike in a car to the trails I'd find a new hobby!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what was I thinking saying something so absurd to a group of lazy e bikers, eh?
where do you live Paul?

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
After buying the bike Christmas eve I have discovered so many more trails around my local area than I new existed, most are tucked away in the woods and most were unnoticeable to me years ago when I rode a traditional mtb, the e mtb allows me to go places I couldn't be bothered peddling to encase it was a dead end or unachievable hill .

For me to get to any decent trails its a 10 mile road ride. 15 miles opens up some fantastic wood land ( one way trip ) , its boring road work but I guess its still part of the fun :rolleyes:
Roll on summer in the Uk because although I have spotted all these trails in the woods non are remotely rideable as there a mud fest.

How far do you guys pedal for a decent ride out or do you just throw the bike in the car or van if any road work is involved?

I guess it depends where you live and how fortunate you are to how close you live to the country side but I have noticed in my short riding time on the bike it does allow you to explore so much local ground and trails you soon find yourself doing the same routes to often.
5 min bike ride from home the same from the CBD I live in Nelson New Zealand.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles