How emtb has changed cycling for me. Is there a nobel price for fitness and laughs combined?

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I don't know if this post is of interest to anyone, so I am posting here in the lounge which I interpret as more of a coffee-shop-chat kinda place. Maybe it belongs in the newbie section. Feel free to ingnore.

Here is my thoughts on why emtb is one of the greatest things ever for me:

Emtb has converted cycling for me from being 80% torture + 20% laughter to 40% smile + 50% laughter! (And 10% straight physical pain because my electrically reinforced ego makes me do things my analog technique does not allow, so I spend afair amount of time bleeding :p. ).

Has any other invention done that in any sport?!

A little background to explain, in case anyone has similar thoughts:
I am not a long distance anything. I dont like running far, swimming and I dont like long distance cycling because my lungs and legs can't keep up. I have astma. (Excuse, for sure).

I have used a bike all my life for transport and leisure, but I never tried downhill biking in my childhood. Mainly because I am from Denmark and the only hill we have is about as steep as the wheel chair ramp at the supermarket.

However, I love skating, cars, skiing, etc. In other words, sports with a lot of technique, equipment and a bit of speed and andrenalin.

What the emtb has given me is converting cycling into skiing but with cooler kit and without lines to get up the mountain.
The combination of a downhill capable bike with the posibility to go far, just makes it so versatile. It gets me in shape and gives me chance to keep up with my long-distance-gifted friends on longer outings. It inspires me to learn downhill technique and jumps. All of that with the complete freedom of not depending on anyone or any instalation to get to the fun part. I should add that I am lucky to live where there are hundreds of natural trails and mountain tracks less than 30 minutes pedalling away. Finally, it gives me something cool to read and talk about, much to the dismay of my poor wife.

Who invented this thing?! Genius! (...and probably single)

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Well said! I've ridden my eMTBs more trail miles in the past 3 years than in 20+ riding my old Stumpjumpers, and that's 100% because I can ride aerobically (vs AN-aerobically) on the steepest hills in my area.

"Has any other invention done that in any sport?!"

I think downhill riders might feel that way about chairlifts.

"Who invented this thing?! Genius! (...and probably single)"

Electric Bike History, patents from the 1800’s

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Well said! I've ridden my eMTBs more trail miles in the past 3 years than in 20+ riding my old Stumpjumpers, and that's 100% because I can ride aerobically (vs AN-aerobically) on the steepest hills in my area.

"Has any other invention done that in any sport?!"

I think downhill riders might feel that way about chairlifts.

"Who invented this thing?! Genius! (...and probably single)"

Electric Bike History, patents from the 1800’s
Thanks for the article on the patents, very interesting! (y)(and it goes to show just how fanatically nerdy we are as a forum, to actually spend the time finding an answer to that question. So cool!:p)

Regarding the chairlifts, I had a similar thought. I was about to write that when i posted , but then I thought, with chairlifts you have to stand in line and get to a place where they have them, so it is not quite the same... Long live the freedom of emtb's!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles