How easy is it to fit a Specialized dropper post yourself?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I've seen them on ebay for about half the retail price and although I'm handy-is with an allen key, routing cables etc seems to be more of a challenge on a bike like a levo?

Has anyone done it before?

cheers!

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
its easy just make sure you follow the instructions when fitting the cable nipple otherwise you wont get the right pull to operate the drop. on the levo cables are easy to route as once the battery is out you can see where they fitt in their little clip holders.
The spesh post is good but it needs constant maintenance in the form of spraying wd40 or suchlike on the post and pumping it up and down a few times after every ride

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
its easy just make sure you follow the instructions when fitting the cable nipple otherwise you wont get the right pull to operate the drop. on the levo cables are easy to route as once the battery is out you can see where they fitt in their little clip holders.
The spesh post is good but it needs constant maintenance in the form of spraying wd40 or suchlike on the post and pumping it up and down a few times after every ride
I’ve never lubed the post but do try to keep the bikes fairly clean after each ride. I do wish there was some extra travel on the Spec dropper, I like the location of the dropper lever on the bars (in my opinion the best / most convenient dropper shifter).

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I’ve never lubed the post but do try to keep the bikes fairly clean after each ride. I do wish there was some extra travel on the Spec dropper, I like the location of the dropper lever on the bars (in my opinion the best / most convenient dropper shifter).
mine was ignored for the first 2-3 months and then it started seizing up, since then i need to lube after every ride and I do keep my bike clean. Between my wife and I we have or had about six of the posts and they have all gone the same way.
As for drop I think its also down to frame size and how much of the post is out of the seat tube to start, mine is only out by a centimetre or two so when it drops its almost sitting on the end of the seatube If I had a longer drop I wouldnt be able to set the post low enough for normal peddling.
the lever is great its a shame on the 2018 models they have gone from an ali lever to a plastic lever but it works fine

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Ok good to know thanks all. Any particular model to aim for / avoid? I’d rather get a Specialized one :)

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Ok good to know thanks all. Any particular model to aim for / avoid? I’d rather get a Specialized one :)
spesh ones have a layback head most of the others dont. They also have some sort of notched fixed positions which im not a fan of. I use them because I need the layback head, gives me a bit more room on the bike. as far as I know you can only buy one model, the one fitted to the kenevo is not available after market as far as I know. all I would say is dont buy one second hand
for the money and as long as you dont need a layback my humble opinion you cant beat the brand X I have one on my hardtail and its the only post that just keeps working without the need to do anything to it but I could just be lucky

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
When lubing a dropper. Try silicone spray rather than WD40.
WD40 is a cleaner not a lubricant. it evaporates and will actually cause your seals to become stickier when it does.
Screwfix sell silicone spray at a decent price. bike specific stuff. surprise surprise is a rip off. (it's the same stuff)
it's good for fork stanchions too.
yes your absolutely right and I do use silicone spray but I also wd40 sometimes as a first spray to clean and muck out then silicone for lube, I didnt know wd40 would attack the seals though I will stop using it near rubber, thanks for the tip!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
ah ok thats what i thought, on their spec sheet it says it cleans and softens (most) rubber so my plan was to clean the seals (there is only one maybe two in the post) then lube with the sillicone. its what I do with the o-rings in my diving gear and that has always worked well

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I got to get a Spesh dropper on mine but they not available till late June here. I also need the setback and the KS eTen has it but I don’t like the seat clamp. The 9point8 also has the offset but is a bit pricey for my liking. I realy wish there were more options available.

Stretch

Feb 11, 2018
UK, Fleet
Rob I agree, I wish there was travel. I'm 6'6 tall so basically have the dropper mounted on the max height out the seat post to cater for my lanky legs. This makes the seat height at the right height when it fully extended however when the dropper is compressed(down) the seat is still quite far away from the frame and therefore not out the way. I appreciate not everyone will have the same problem I have but in my case I definitely would have preferred more travel on the dropper to allow it to be more out the way when completely down.

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
When lubing a dropper. Try silicone spray rather than WD40.
WD40 is a cleaner not a lubricant. it evaporates and will actually cause your seals to become stickier when it does.
Screwfix sell silicone spray at a decent price. bike specific stuff. surprise surprise is a rip off. (it's the same stuff)
it's good for fork stanchions too.
I use TRI FLOW !!! Works Great

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Rob I agree, I wish there was travel. I'm 6'6 tall so basically have the dropper mounted on the max height out the seat post to cater for my lanky legs. This makes the seat height at the right height when it fully extended however when the dropper is compressed(down) the seat is still quite far away from the frame and therefore not out the way. I appreciate not everyone will have the same problem I have but in my case I definitely would have preferred more travel on the dropper to allow it to be more out the way when completely down.

I’ve got an inch on you so I think I’ll have the same problem!

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
also worth noting when installing the dropper and setting it at the right height for you, you do it without the battery in place, after nipping the seat up check the cables which run under the battery and that they are all clipped in place with no slack, then you can re-install the battery.

GEE ARR

Oct 29, 2018
MIDLANDS
yes your absolutely right and I do use silicone spray but I also wd40 sometimes as a first spray to clean and muck out then silicone for lube, I didnt know wd40 would attack the seals though I will stop using it near rubber, thanks for the tip!
TFTuned recommend applying Teflon based lube (chain lube) on the upper tubes above the seals and then to cycle through the suspension or dropper post a few times and wipe off any excess.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
TFTuned recommend applying Teflon based lube (chain lube) on the upper tubes above the seals and then to cycle through the suspension or dropper post a few times and wipe off any excess.
Easy to release the air remove the post from the tube and clean and lube. No need to take out of frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles