How does the Bosch motor freewheel?

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
When you back-pedal your Bosch motor does it tick or is it smooth. When you start pedaling does it engage instantly?

I’m trying to find out which, if any motors use a sprag or roller clutch for instant engagement.

A drawback of my Yamaha PW-SE motor is that it has only 18 points of engagement in the motor’s ratchet mechanism. This has been increased to 24 in the PW-X.

With a freewheel in both the wheel and the motor, my bike gets sloppy ratcheting over rocks when the going gets rough.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The Bosch Performance Line motors use a large clutch roller bearing that is smooth, quiet, instant and very strong. Brose use a sprag bearing which is quick to lock but has proved troublesome for some. The Bosch Gen 3 motor has gone back to a ratchet system, but with quite fine action, so there is very little slack.

Hope this helps.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
The Bosch Performance Line motors use a large clutch roller bearing that is smooth, quiet, instant and very strong. Brose use a sprag bearing which is quick to lock but has proved troublesome for some. The Bosch Gen 3 motor has gone back to a ratchet system, but with quite fine action, so there is very little slack.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks!

Does anyone know how Shimano does this? If I had a guess I’d say fishing-reel style.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Not sure, but from my prior investigations there is daintily Fishing Reel developed elements in there, much the same as the Brose and Bosch owe a lot to windscreen wiper motors

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands

Hope this helps.
Apparently, that's what's rattling on the gen 3. Some say it's unbearable, no pun ?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Apparently, that's what's rattling on the gen 3. Some say it's unbearable, no pun ?
The Gen 3 that rattles is the Active Line Gen 3 and this has a clutch bearing but "clunks" through the gearing each time the clutch bearing activates.
The Performance Line Gen 3 has only just been released so no complaints yet, but this motor uses a ratchet and pawl system, so should just drive you nuts with the clicking and not clunking :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles