How are you transporting your Merida?

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi all. Just wondering how you are all transporting your Meridas?

I've got one of those tow ball mounted bike carriers with two foam covered arms. So one arm goes though the frame and one arm between the frame and the front suspension fork. My rack is pretty sturdy, but I've found that with the design of the Merida frame there is a lot of weight on the bottom of the top tube where it sits on the rack arm. Basically, the full motor weight is on the top tube. And because the top tube has a triangular shape, there is a lot of weight on a small area. This resulted in the tube wearing through the foam on the rack arm and a fairly large amount of paint taken off the bottom of the top tube ?

So now I put extra foam padding between the frame and the rack arm. I've had a look at the Thule XT foldable rack which looks really good - especially since we carry two bikes. My only worry with this one is whether, with my 4WD wagon, the bike wheel would be too close to the exhaust. I've already blown up one MTB tyre by placing the bike on the rack with the wheel too close to the exhaust!

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hi all. Just wondering how you are all transporting your Meridas?

I've got one of those tow ball mounted bike carriers with two foam covered arms. So one arm goes though the frame and one arm between the frame and the front suspension fork. My rack is pretty sturdy, but I've found that with the design of the Merida frame there is a lot of weight on the bottom of the top tube where it sits on the rack arm. Basically, the full motor weight is on the top tube. And because the top tube has a triangular shape, there is a lot of weight on a small area. This resulted in the tube wearing through the foam on the rack arm and a fairly large amount of paint taken off the bottom of the top tube ?

So now I put extra foam padding between the frame and the rack arm. I've had a look at the Thule XT foldable rack which looks really good - especially since we carry two bikes. My only worry with this one is whether, with my 4WD wagon, the bike wheel would be too close to the exhaust. I've already blown up one MTB tyre by placing the bike on the rack with the wheel too close to the exhaust!
We use an Ezigrip Ebike rack on our 4wd. Easy to load both our ebikes and much cheaper than Thule. Got one from Torpedo on special for $650.
Otherwise maybe try an exhaust extension to take the heat away from the wheel.
Good luck.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Bonz. I'll take a look at it. My existing rack is an Ezigrip. Very solid. I'm thinking now that the two arm racks may be just a Kiwi thing? The bikes do obscure the lights which is a bit of an issue. Pretty hard to know if the exhaust is going to be a problem until I try it.

Stan

Feb 18, 2019
Australia
Saris super clamp ex. Does the job very well. You need a hitch type tow bar.

20200427_132545.jpg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I've looked at getting a motocycle rack. Much cheaper than a bike rack, and certain to be strong enough!

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I carry two Merida e-bkies regularly on my Thule Easyfold XT2. Full sus at 22.5kg and hardtail at 19kg, both with batteries. Never take the batteries out. Never had issues. Stupidly expensive but I'm glad I have it.

Also you can wash your bikes at home while they're on the rack, which is a bonus.

Gordon

Cranker

May 29, 2020
Australia
I have just got a Highroad - how are you finding it, any issues with the weight of the emtb?
Only done 2 trips with the Merida on top of the roof. Yakima seems to be a lot more sturdier than the Thule. I can just managed to lift the e160 onto the roof by taking the battery out coz I’m weak as piss!!!??

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Only done 2 trips with the Merida on top of the roof. Yakima seems to be a lot more sturdier than the Thule. I can just managed to lift the e160 onto the roof by taking the battery out coz I’m weak as piss!!!??

And removing the battery takes the bike under the 20kg limit of the Highroad ;)(y)

Annotation 2020-06-07 122318.jpg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
They're all beasts! I can't even get mine in the back of my Ford Econoline sideways with the front wheel removed!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Not a Merida but been using the High Road for the past week with no issues, very impressed with it, seems overbuilt compared to others I have had, in a good way - my car is pretty low, and I went with Cruz bars which are the lowest profile I could find to keep the height to lift up the bike to a minimum, so its easy to get the bike on, and my bikes is bank on 20kg without the battery.

I put a rubber matt behind the rear rail, lift bike up putting the rear wheel on the mat whilst sliding front wheel in, the tighten up the front, lift rear wheel into place and strap it down. I have the rear wheel holder as far back as it will go - the Vitus is pretty long, but I think anything longer and you would have an issue. Its actually harder to get the bike off, I just reverse the process and its all ok, but taking the rear wheel off first and putting it on the rubber mat really helps.

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 15.26.34.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 15.28.15.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 15.28.29.png

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Not a Merida but been using the High Road for the past week with no issues, very impressed with it, seems overbuilt compared to others I have had, in a good way - my car is pretty low, and I went with Cruz bars which are the lowest profile I could find to keep the height to lift up the bike to a minimum, so its easy to get the bike on, and my bikes is bank on 20kg without the battery.

I put a rubber matt behind the rear rail, lift bike up putting the rear wheel on the mat whilst sliding front wheel in, the tighten up the front, lift rear wheel into place and strap it down. I have the rear wheel holder as far back as it will go - the Vitus is pretty long, but I think anything longer and you would have an issue. Its actually harder to get the bike off, I just reverse the process and its all ok, but taking the rear wheel off first and putting it on the rubber mat really helps.

View attachment 34279

View attachment 34280

View attachment 34281
Very nice! With that car, and a bit of a run on, you could almost ride it up there ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles