Hope Enduro/Pro4 Wheels/Hubs on a Stance E+1

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
East Kilbride, Glasgow Scotland
Looking to replace me Stance E+1 wheels. Would Hope Enduros with Pro4 be good for an ebike ? The rims are slightly narrower than the stock giant 30mm inner width, I use maxxis recon 2.6 tyres - would the Hope Enduro wheels be up to the job ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They'd be fine.
Nothing amazing but fine.

Hope enduro rims come in 26, 30 and 25mm widths.

A few pretty fast Enduro racer friends have commented that hope rims are quite soft and ding/dent quite easily. They do run quite low pressures though. Personally I couldn't comment.
Pro4 hubs are also fine but nothing special.
Hope wheels are hand built with quality sapim spokes. Easy to get spares for (in the UK) and fairly easily serviced.
They're not the lightest, don't have the fastest freehub pick up and aren't the most durable but if none of that matters to you and you want a set of UK manufactured handbuilt wheels go for it.

What's wrong with the stock stance wheels?

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
thanks Gary for the info, I have damaged the front stock giant AM rim (long story but the disc rotor was badly bent so I replaced it with a new one and now the hub/rim appears to be damaged also, I thought getting the rim re-trued would sort the problem, but I think the issue is actually with the hub. If I was to buy a new hub and have the wheel re-laced, it would probably be as well buying a complete new front wheel with the view of upgrading the rear wheel later on.

I have made enquires about the cost of a Giant AM rim, but so far I've been unsuccessful finding one.

Are there any other wheel sets that you'd recommend for Ebikes ? Something in a similar price range to the Hope Enduros.

Cheers
Raymond.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I honestly don't think emtbs need specific wheelsets.
just something reliable and up to the riding you do.
ie. if you ride Enduro enduro rims will suffice, If you ride AM a slightly lighter AM rim will do fine. DH? you get the idea?
Hubs. so long as they're decent quality, servicable and have a reliable freehub design should also be easily up to the job.

I build wheels professionally but in all honesty I personally wouldn't spend what a hope enduro wheelset costs for my Emtb. If you're not too bothered about your wheelset matching wiggle have quite a few perfectly adequate front wheels under half the price of a Hope enduro front.

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
I honestly don't think emtbs need specific wheelsets.
just something reliable and up to the riding you do.
ie. if you ride Enduro enduro rims will suffice, If you ride AM a slightly lighter AM rim will do fine. DH? you get the idea?
Hubs. so long as they're decent quality, servicable and have a reliable freehub design should also be easily up to the job.

I build wheels professionally but in all honesty I personally wouldn't spend what a hope enduro wheelset costs for my Emtb. If you're not too bothered about your wheelset matching wiggle have quite a few perfectly adequate front wheels under half the price of a Hope enduro front.
cheers for the advice, I'll have a further look. I'm fairly new and not had my bike that long. My rider level is very beginner, If I can't get another Giant AM rim, I'll have another look at something similar.

Thanks again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles