holy grail of battery range with a Shimano e8000 steps motor attained. AKA: how to get 10+ miles and 2200+ ft out of one battery bar

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Gary Thought you might ask. The eMax freeMax... eMax - english

You need a SM-PCE1 or SM-PCE02 linkage though.

Ah.. Cheers.. Thought you might have been talking about freemax.
Tempted by it but it seems an awful lot of outlay (because of the interface required) for not all that much extra control. (I'm happy enough with Eco where it is, Trail in MID and Boost in MAX)
So wish we had a Blimano App
I've asked before but any plans to do anything for the Steps motors @PaoloBLEvo ?

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Tempted by it but it seems an awful lot of outlay (because of the interface required) for not all that much extra control. (I'm happy enough with Eco where it is, Trail in MID and Boost in MAX)
I've asked before but any plans to do anything for the Steps motors @PaoloBLEvo ?

@Gary I thought I'd seen you on another chat about this before.

The connector 'only' cost me £117. I have the Peartune like yourself so don't need to pay for the full eMax. It was the adjustment limitations of the Etube app compared to Mission Control that convinced me to buy the connector and use freeMax.

The default (std) settings are:-
Eco mode torque 30 Nm/60% assist.
Trail (Medium) torque 70 Nm/90% assist.
Boost (High) torque 70 Nm/300% assist.

trailMediumBoostHigh.jpg

trailHighBoostHigh.jpg

They can all be adjusted in set values of every 10% on assistance (max 500%) and every 5 Nm on torque (max 70 Nm).

You can reduce Trail considerably compared to even the 'Low' E-Tube setting which is still at 70 Nm/70% assist.

Lowering this will help with battery life on a ride which is my main gripe with ebikes.

trailLowBoostLow.jpg

Last edited:

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese

no planned.... yet...

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Thanks.
My PT is going back as it's constantly throwing up W010 errors and the last time it wouldn't even let me switch it off via the "light" function so I was left with an unassisted bike at the end of a long ride despite having 2 battery bars left.

What speed can you set the assist speed to cut out at?
I'm happy with the mode options Etube offers
ideally i'd like to be able to play with restriction and how the assist behaves at high cadence.

I'm being sent out a new PT but Considering this, or possibly the chainstay mounted external box option.

You can't change the assistance speed cut out with freeMax . It's the eMax which you have to pay for to do that.

The eMax is coded to work with just one motor and you have to give the serial number of your motor so it works with just that one and no other. So if you have 2 bikes/motors you have to buy 2 licences for the software. I looked into where the firmware is and it's in the motor not the display/control unit so you can't just swap the display.

And you have to revert your firmware to an earlier version as eMax doesn't work with the latest updates.

The PearTune is better because you can just unplug it and swap if needed.

Which is the chainstay mounted external box option? I tried moving the external speed sensor and putting a magnet on the crank arm last May, and it worked but not for very long.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks
Which is the chainstay mounted external box option?
Badass box I think it's called.
sits on the chainstay over the wheel sensor and sends half the signal (AFAIK)
PT has done my head in recently.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Badass box - I have one and its been faultless though the winter, you can see it in this picture Rob took on the last Forum ride, it slips over the speed sensor and you swap out the stock magnet for the one that comes with it. No need to open up casings or connect any wiring

Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 20.47.55.png

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Thanks

Badass box I think it's called.
sits on the chainstay over the wheel sensor and sends half the signal (AFAIK)
PT has done my head in recently.

I only had one problem with my first PT and was a bit fat and wouldn't fit in the limited space behind the cover. I got a new updated replacement and sent the old one back. No problems with either.

If it's still under warranty, I'd just get a replacement.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't know is the simple answer, I dont have it on the whole time, tend to fit it when going to ride on trails which have a high average speed.

I like it because you dont have to open up or wire anything.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
yep, so it had a recognition of tampering and mine hadn't been messed with (Fortunately) (new bosch motor needed)

So if it said 'no tampering', then 'no tampering' had been done? Would it not say 'tampered with' if it had been? And you say yours hadn't been messed with so what are you on about?

This thread is about the Shimano e8000 steps motor, not a Bosch, so won't know what errors that shows.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I will take it down my local friendly dealer and get hem to run a diagnostic on the motor, and see if it show up anything

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
Exactly Nifty, and IF it had been tampered with i would not have got my replacement warranty motor!
hence i wanna know IF these boxes show up as 'Tampering' when plugged in (y)

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Exactly Nifty, and IF it had been tampered with i would not have got my replacement warranty motor!
hence i wanna know IF these boxes show up as 'Tampering' when plugged in (y)

There are no 'messages' on the Shimano Steps E8000 system. The system shows error codes if anything is wrong and there isn't one that I know of that indicates 'tampering' like the Bosch. It just shows an error code when something isn't working properly.

The Shimano Steps E8000 system doesn't show any error codes when the PearTune or any other speed delimiter is plugged in. But if I was taking it to a shop for ANY warranty issues, I would remove whatever I've fitted that affects this, hardware or software.

Myself, never having a Bosch system, I don''t know what they show or how they behave. You should start a new topic asking this question then other people with the same system can maybe help.

Last edited:

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
About the battery range. I have been riding Vitus eSommet VR now for over month (with Shimano E8000). So far max climbing on regular route has been 1300-1360hm before battery dying. Yesterday I installed 32T chainring instead of original 34T. Not big difference, but enough to be able to ride almost all steepest hills up on ECO mode (I used trail and boost maybe only 1min time). I was also checking that I kept my cadence 85-95 all the time I could, to be on most economical speed for the motor.

As result, got today 1550hm climbing on same route(+of course some extra distance) with one charge, even the it was colder than normally (temperature was in beginning of the ride -5C and in the end +5C). Actually quite logical, smaller gearing, resulting lower speed, and able to keep more optimal cadence for the motor.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was also checking that I kept my cadence 85-95 all the time I could, to be on most economical speed for the motor.
That is not the most economical cadence for the motor.
Kinda the entire point of the thread.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
hahaha

Yeah. hence the smiley

My opinion is already here for all to read

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles