Highest Mileage Steps E8000 Motor

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Having read/heard about crank play, bad bearings and torque sensor issues I'm curious as too the longevity of the Steps E8000 motor. What is the highest problem free motor out there?

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Mines done 1895 miles in the Peak District without any signs of motor issues.

That's the winner so far...lol. I'd like to think that the reported issues are the exception and not the rule with these motors.

I have long term experience with two ebikes, one Brose and one Bosch performance and they are at polar opposites of the scale. My Brose T motor has had a placement under warranty at less than 800km and is making some noise again after another 500 or so km. While my wife's Bosch has around 6000km, about 1500 of that on trails/fire roads with quite a bit of climbing and the rest is touring and commuting. Only required maintenance was a little grease added to the crank seals to stop some squeaking and is going strong as new. Still on the original chain ring and haven't noticed any battery degradation either!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did try to work this out a few months ago :

2019 Motor Distance/Failure Survey - EMTB Forums

There was a Shimano Failure at 3400, so arguably one had gone that far.

Reading through old threads I kept a separate tally and failure numbers were pretty similar through all the motors. There were also high mileage instances for all the motors.

I didn't add any of this to the "survey" as it could have been deemed biast that I'd only found xyz motor failures, or that I'd padded it out one way or another - or missed some on purpose.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Having read/heard about crank play, bad bearings and torque sensor issues I'm curious as too the longevity of the Steps E8000 motor. What is the highest problem free motor out there?
Nearly 7000k’s on mine. Only problem was a speed sensor cable which caused the bike to cut out for a few seconds periodically under load. Otherwise OK.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
OK, the numbers are getting better! I wonder if the torque sensor issue was due to a batch of not so good sensors. I would love it if the motor manufacturers would be a little more open about what the issues are and steps they are taking to resolve the issues. Specialized has been ok at this and is probably why so many still purchase their ebikes despite the numerous, and there have been quite a lot, reported problems. I can honestly say that I am much more comfortable making such a large purchase from a manufacturer who keeps the customers/potential customers informed and works hard to resolve problems with their products.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
2100km and no issues with the motor, although the display got moisture inside and was replaced in warranty

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@RCDallas compiling a list of quoted mileage numbers from a bunch of strangers shows very little. Actual useage (ie. type of rider/riding) is what affects the motor's durability. and more specifically bearing life.

I'm 100% confident I could cause crank bearing play in any E8000's main axle bearings in less than 350 miles. So long as I rode every single mile of that accessing steep, technical, rough DH/Enduro tracks and hitting jumps.

I have 2500 miles on my current E8000. but that's only because 2300 of those miles are commuting miles. I actually rarely even ride my Emtb off road properly anymore because of the durability of those *bearings being so shit!

*The E8000 axle bearings themselves aren't really the main issue. The fact the axle is free floating and pre-loaded, and how they're housed is the bigger issue.
If only they were user replaceable. I'd be happy to change them every few months.

TBF all the major Emtb motor's are fairly shite durability wise for proper riding.

Last edited:

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
@RCDallas compiling a list of quoted mileage numbers from a bunch of strangers shows very little. Actual useage (ie. type of rider/riding) is what affects the motor's durability. and more specifically bearing life.

So, what you're saying is the compilation would be better if it included riding type and terrain?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Gary makes a good point, there are plenty of Shimano motored bikes out there doing commuting duties with massive mileage on them, but they are getting a relatively gentle life.

Riding in crappy conditions (super dusty or wet) and poor maintenance of the bike can kill a motor very quickly, as can riding super aggressively where you are putting a lot of force through the pedals, cranks and ultimately the motor bearings.

Add into that the fact that not all motor installations between the brands are conducive to keeping muck away from the motor, and you have a fair few variables effecting the situation.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
About 1300 miles for the E8000 on my Pivot Shuttle, all ridden hard on technical terrain, plenty of rocks/roots/mud, includes some racing and a lot of enduro-style days. Motor is rock solid. Only issue I've faced was with the mode switch (replaced with E7000), but the drive system is in excellent condition. A super slight amount of BB play which is probably close to the same as it was when it left the factory.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy

I'm 100% confident I could cause crank bearing play in any E8000's main axle bearings in less than 350 miles. So long as I rode every single mile of that accessing steep, technical, rough DH/Enduro tracks and hitting jumps.

I have 2500 miles on my current E8000. but that's only because 2300 of those miles are commuting miles. I actually rarely even ride my Emtb off road properly anymore because of the durability of those *bearings being so shit!

*The E8000 axle bearings themselves aren't really the main issue. The fact the axle is free floating and pre-loaded, and how they're is the bigger issue.
If only they were user replaceable. I'd be happy to change them every few months.

TBF all the major Emtb motor's are fairly shite durability wise for proper riding.

I hear you Gary but it is good to hear about some good numbers along with the bad. I think user replaceable parts is the biggest downfall right now.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Good info guys! I have another question...based on the varying numbers and different uses of the E8000, what do you guys think is a reasonable mileage before maintenance is needed for an average mountain biker?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maintenance should be performed after pretty much every proper ride... how/where the bike is ridden will dictate whether that maintenance is as simple as a quick look over or a thorough clean and inspection. either way... when something isn't performing as it should it's time to repair/replace that particular part/component or group of components.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
OK...how many miles should we expect before a repair such as bearing failure or torque sensor replacement? Considering proper maintenance is done after each ride as you state.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
The question is valid guys. How far do you think you should be able to ride your eMTB, that costs anywhere from €4000 to €12000, before it breaks and requires a motor replacement. There are ASTM usage standard classifications that all eMTBs are built and certified to and as long as the bike is ridden within the intended usage standards then a reasonable life expectancy can be established. That number should probably be somewhere between the rider who goes past the limits and the ones who never take them off of beginner trails and fire roads.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well based on a cross section of motors and what we see feedback wise on the Forum, some people get about 10 miles before their motor goes bang, and others get closer to 10,000. ;)

EMTB's are still in their infancy, and hard and fast long term data on prolonged usage just isn't out there yet.

E.G with the Shimano system we saw very few reports of motor failure last year, but now a lot of meter have had their bikes for over 18 months we are starting to see more.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Stop asking unanswerable questions

Stop answering with unanswered answers ... :LOL: (I just had one of those word moments when a word seems just wrong ... answered ... swer - just seems wrong .... ).... :sleep:

what do you guys think is a reasonable mileage before maintenance is needed for an average mountain biker?

Gary is correct. It's just not that simple. Shimano might stick them in a lab with little robo legs or giant wheels full of mice, who knows .. and run 10 of them back to back without a single failure over 20000 km's.

But in the real world there are other forces .. (not like star wars, but lateral forces, impact forces - nothing is consistent). Two equally capable riders will have different styles and techniques, none of us are the same. So we will all wear things differently..

It's just impossible to predict ..

You either say "feck it" and go for the e-bike thing, get on with it, embrace it, enjoy it .. knowing that yes, one day it might break.. or you don't ... it's like riding your normal bike through the woods and a chain might snap .. but how long does a chain last ? 10 miles or 10000 miles ...

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Well based on a cross section of motors and what we see feedback wise on the Forum, some people get about 10 miles before their motor goes bang, and others get closer to 10,000. ;)

EMTB's are still in their infancy, and hard and fast long term data on prolonged usage just isn't out there yet.

E.G with the Shimano system we saw very few reports of motor failure last year, but now a lot of meter have had their bikes for over 18 months we are starting to see more.

Right-On R120...Coincidentally, even though, your numbers were to make a point, I was thinking somewhere around the 5000 miles should be reasonable minimum expectation to hold the manufacturers to in this early stage of the game. Heck, I easily get that much mileage out of a set of Schwalbe Marathon plus tires on my touring bike.
Stop answering with unanswered answers ... :LOL: (I just had one of those word moments when a word seems just wrong ... answered ... swer - just seems wrong .... ).... :sleep:

Gary is correct. It's just not that simple. Shimano might stick them in a lab with little robo legs or giant wheels full of mice, who knows .. and run 10 of them back to back without a single failure over 20000 km's.

But in the real world there are other forces .. (not like star wars, but lateral forces, impact forces - nothing is consistent). Two equally capable riders will have different styles and techniques, none of us are the same. So we will all wear things differently..

It's just impossible to predict ..

You either say "feck it" and go for the e-bike thing, get on with it, embrace it, enjoy it .. knowing that yes, one day it might break.. or you don't ... it's like riding your normal bike through the woods and a chain might snap .. but how long does a chain last ? 10 miles or 10000 miles ...

I hear ya Zimmerframe. Still using the original chain on my 26" XC racing bike though and it has well over 5000 miles on it. Just changed the break pads and shifting cables for the first time for that mater. But a replacement chain only costs €10-15 instead of €1000.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
This is a photo taken by my mate Benji on 30th October. He bought his Scott E-Spark secondhand 15 months ago with 670km on the clock. As of last night, there are now considerably more kms on the clock and this is still the first motor and battery.

Capture.JPG

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
This is a photo taken by my mate Benji on 30th October. He bought his Scott E-Spark secondhand 15 months ago with 670km on the clock. As of last night, there are now considerably more kms on the clock and this is still the first motor and battery.

View attachment 22512
Now that is more like it...numbers to instill some confidence. Even if it were all easy commute kilometers it gives a good data point for reference!

Not considering a Shimano E8000 anymore...just bought a Turbo Levo Comp at a great price from a LBS. We'll see what kind of mileage I get from the Brose Mag S. I do feel somewhat confident about after warranty service and availability of parts now that Brose has set up its own service center and new aftermarket repair centers are popping up here and there.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Now that is more like it...numbers to instill some confidence. Even if it were all easy commute kilometers it gives a good data point for reference!

Nope, this was not 10k of "easy commute". This is hilly country with a 200m climb up tracks back into the village from the forest. The forest is on dune sand - so nothing is flat. Take a look at his YouTube channel if you want some idea of his daily exercise. (As ever, the camera makes the 30% gradients look flat. But you get an idea of the type of terrain.)

A battery only last around 25km in the middle of summer when the sand is at its driest. Quite honestly, I'm amazed that the motor has lasted so long - he works his bike hard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles