Hi Mike from Monmouth

Mikedodds

Jun 14, 2019
Wales
Been MTBing for about 10 years in local woods and sometimes at the FOD MTB trail centre. Now 57 and going part time at work it is time to get a EMTB in the autumn sales to hopefully catch a bargain. Currently grappling with either direct customer or LBS buy as favouring Canyon, Haibike or Spec. Need to try them all out obviously but any views would be appreciated. Don’t do too much rad but would like to develop more when I have more time to do so. Plan on keeping the acoustic Hardtail to practice more without too much risk to the shiny new EMTB

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Welcome! 🥳

If you get a chance to demo, that’s where you’ll find your answer, as you always have.

And the other thing about eebs is that the current ones are all good. It’s really hard to make a mistake as such. You’ll love your eeb.

Of course, in saying all that, I’m assuming you’ve worked out the basics like travel and whether you want a lightweight eeb with a smaller battery or a ‘full-fat’.

As always, frame size is the crucial bit if you size up ‘in between’. That’s where direct sales become an issue. But it’s quite hard to find a size in any eeb to demo in the UK when you want to.

Have you hired an eeb at a bike park? Unlike riding a mate’s which might be the wrong size, you’ll get the size you want to try — unless you’re very tall. It’s one way of deciding what general size you want with a heavier bike than you may be used to.

I’m sure you’ve read up about the general pros and cons of direct sales. One thing to remember is that you could check if your local lbs has experience getting guarantee work approved for the particular direct sales brand you’re considering. For example working directly with Madison on a Shimano motor fault on a Canyon. Some will and have done and others vehemently deny such things are possible. Also, the direct sales company’s view on that is important.

If all that worries you, you’d probably be better to buy from a shop here. You want a positive experience over the life of ownership.

Probably not the type of advice you anticipated, but I stand by it.

Finally, tell as many places as you can you are looking for a demo. Ring round distributors and the ‘famous’ lbs shops within a radius you can travel to and tell them you could travel if they get a demo in at short notice. Most distributors ring round their customers if a demo cancellation comes through from another customer to see if they have a customer who’d accept a demo at short notice. You!

So, welcome and make sure you enjoy the process 😊😊😊

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles