Hi Guys

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
I'm new to the forum and hoping to pick up tips and advice. After 23 years of riding through the mud of Epping Forest and recovering from a shoulder op late last summer, i thought i'd get some help in the form of a Lapierre Overvolt 727i. Having a few concerns over battery duration as i ride with my mate who's Merida with same Shimano set up (but different battery lay out - although same rating) has loads left when i run low way too quickly.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I'm a newbie too so thought I would say hi back :giggle:
I'm not sure I can really help with your question but are all things equal in the bike setup?
Things like more travel or wider tyres at lower pressures will increase battery usage, & I wasn't going to say it but rider weight & effort put into the pedals will make an even bigger difference :p

Cheers.

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
yup, all equal + i've ridden his bike 4 times and its the same story, shed loads of power left

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Hi there, I too have had real problems withthe battery range on the 727i, 1st i thoght it was just me but after monitoring certain factors i have foudn the range to be be really poor - mised modes with 1800m fo ascent and decnt and i can deplete the battery in 12 miles!!!! I am now getting the battery replaced under warranty but suspect that the bike will be returned as the range is way lower than expected. TBH I was expecting at least 30 miles but have fallen way short of that. I also foudn that after 1 mile of riding in eco mode on the road the battery indicator woudl drop form 5 bars to 4, potentially indicating battery issues.
I will monitor with the new battery and let you know how i got on.
Cheers

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Have you run the battery down to zero to determine actual range? I ask because I have a suspicion that eMTB computers (or BMS) will vary how they estimate range according to your riding characteristics.

Now, I don't know how true this is but when I've done things like swap batteries between bikes, it's like the computer has to learn about the new battery's characteristics and my riding style all over again.

Also, when I've hired eMTBs, the estimates seem more outrageously wrong than usual.

This seems to apply to estimated range and to some extent the number of bars left.

This might be why riding your mate's bike gives you different estimates (it's tuned to his/her riding and battery).

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
That was a question to the OP, but, wow, yeah, 12 miles. Something not right there.

Gotta be a problem with the battery, not the bike.

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
I am getting between 20 and 24 miles and am disappointed with the first bar dropping at 2.2 or 6 or 1.5 miles. trying a different battery tomorrow that has been charged out of the frame and can allegedly do 17 miles using only 2 x bars. will try and then will know if my battery has issues

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
New battery put in the bike at the weekend - cycled in ECO mode only. Results are below
  • Distance covered 12.2 miles – approx. 7 miles fire track and 5 miles off road
  • Total accent – 2900ft
  • Temperature – 8 degrees C
  • Weight – 92kg (I had my backpack on)
  • Tyre pressure – 20psi front and rear
I checked the expected range in each mode before I set off on the journey, the results are below:
  • Eco - 55 miles
  • Trail - 38 miles
  • Boost - 27 miles
  • I then set off in eco mode – I had covered 1.3 miles on the road with 300ft of accent and the battery indicator went from 5 bars to 4 bars and was showing a range of 22miles left which is a massive drop seeing as I had only covered 1 and a bit miles, by the time I had covered 5 miles and 1500ft of accent on fire road I was down to 3 bars
Will get the bike checked out at the lbs but i think marketing have been bending the truth slightly about the range..

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
New battery put in the bike at the weekend - cycled in ECO mode only. Results are below
  • Distance covered 12.2 miles – approx. 7 miles fire track and 5 miles off road
  • Total accent – 2900ft
  • Temperature – 8 degrees C
  • Weight – 92kg (I had my backpack on)
  • Tyre pressure – 20psi front and rear
I checked the expected range in each mode before I set off on the journey, the results are below:
  • Eco - 55 miles
  • Trail - 38 miles
  • Boost - 27 miles
  • I then set off in eco mode – I had covered 1.3 miles on the road with 300ft of accent and the battery indicator went from 5 bars to 4 bars and was showing a range of 22miles left which is a massive drop seeing as I had only covered 1 and a bit miles, by the time I had covered 5 miles and 1500ft of accent on fire road I was down to 3 bars
Will get the bike checked out at the lbs but i think marketing have been bending the truth slightly about the range..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles