Hi guys, CreativeSource 9 down in gorgeous Dorset

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Course it doesn't matter! Welcome, not many self builders on here but alway untested to see what people are putting together

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
There are no rules on self build bikes in this forum (would love to see how that would be enforced!), but if your bike is an 3kw monster with a throttle and no limiter don’t expect all members to be positive. Many people (including me to an extent) see such machines as a threat to EMTB usage and trail access in general - remember they are motorcycles at that point in the eyes of the law.

CreativeSource 9

Dec 12, 2018
Poole Dorset
There are no rules on self build bikes in this forum (would love to see how that would be enforced!), but if your bike is an 3kw monster with a throttle and no limiter don’t expect all members to be positive. Many people (including me to an extent) see such machines as a threat to EMTB usage and trail access in general - remember they are motorcycles at that point in the eyes of the law.
Hi there, and cheers for that.
Yeah I was thinking more of a potential problem within the group if I ever join you chaps for a local ride out. No matter what the potential power of My build, I always adhear to the rules of the group. Group leader will always be respected. My self build came about because some of us, with the best will in the world just cannot afford a £5,000 eMTB of the quality required for the task.
Cheers Matty

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Check with @Rob Hancill, but I doubt there would be any problem on a group ride providing you are always using a pedal assist mode. Climb a mountain with your pedals flat whilst using a throttle though and I think you can legitimately expect some aggro! ;)

PS - I holiday in the Purbecks every summer, and brought my analog MTB along for the first time this year. Great riding country, but I was wishing for an ebike on the climb up from Swanage onto Ballard Down!

866F18F7-A281-431E-AFDF-33D74EFEA4EF.jpeg

BD49B73A-9B07-41B1-BA8F-35F17E063DC8.jpeg

Follow Matt on Strava to see this activity. Join for free.

Last edited:

CreativeSource 9

Dec 12, 2018
Poole Dorset
Check with @Rob Hancill, but I doubt there would be any problem on a group ride providing you are always using a pedal assist mode. Climb a mountain with your pedals flat whilst using a throttle though and I think you can legitimately expect some aggro! ;)

PS - I holiday in the Purbecks every summer, and brought my analog MTB along for the first time this year. Great riding country, but I was wishing for an ebike on the climb up from Swanage onto Ballard Down!

View attachment 8742

View attachment 8743

Haha! Cheers for all your info and help Matty. I will talk to Rob but no, I always use PAS. Nice shots of your bike by the way! But why didn't you bring your ebike? I'm always up there. Went up there in October to take some photos of My bike to send to the bike vault on EMBN, check out episode 42, My bike made it to the show!
Cheers Matty
20181010_144809.jpg
20181010_144809.jpg

20181130_134524.jpg

20181101_132725.jpg

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Haha! Cheers for all your info and help Matty. I will talk to Rob but no, I always use PAS. Nice shots of your bike by the way! But why didn't you bring your ebike? I'm always up there. Went up there in October to take some photos of My bike to send to the bike vault on EMBN, check out episode 42, My bike made it to the show!
Cheers Matty View attachment 8744
I didn't bring an ebike because at the moment I don't actually own one! I do steal my Dad's Trek Powerfly hardtail every now and again though, and am anticipating buying a full suss ebike in 2019.

PS - Nice conversion, but I would be very scared riding your bike along that descent to Old Harry Rocks - it's a long way down if you get a sidewind gust at an inopportune moment! :eek:;)

Last edited:

CreativeSource 9

Dec 12, 2018
Poole Dorset
I didn't bring an ebike because at the moment I don't actually own one! I do steal my Dad's Trek Powerfly hardtail every now and again though, and am anticipating buying a full suss ebike in 2019.

PS - Nice conversion, but I would be very scared riding your bike along that descent to Old Harry Rocks - it's a long way down if you get a sidewind gust at an inopportune moment! :eek:;)
Funny you mention that, when I was taking the photos for the show (EMBN) it was windy as hell on Old Harry, I was crapping it a little that the bike was going to over on the stand! But no I've never noticed any issues with wind while actually riding it. PS: what ebike are you going to buy then?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Funny you mention that, when I was taking the photos for the show (EMBN) it was windy as hell on Old Harry, I was crapping it a little that the bike was going to over on the stand! But no I've never noticed any issues with wind while actually riding it. PS: what ebike are you going to buy then?
At this point I have no idea, other than it will be in the 140-150mm travel range - luckily there are so many good bikes now it’s hard to make a bad choice. I like the new Giant Trance models, and all the Shimano motored bikes I have ridden have been good, especially the Spectral:On. I am also interested to see how the new Haibike Flyon and Lapierre Zesty get reviewed, and Whyte also have a whole range of ebikes coming out summer next year that use Fazua, Bosch and Shimano power. (y)

The only certainty is it won’t be a new Levo - I don’t like the battery shape or loading method, prices are sky high and the problems with noisy motors and dirt ingress are not giving me a good feeling about the bike.

Last edited:

CreativeSource 9

Dec 12, 2018
Poole Dorset
At this point I have no idea, other than it will be in the 140-150mm travel range - luckily there are so many good bikes now it’s hard to make a bad choice. I like the new Giant Trance models, and all the Shimano motored bikes I have ridden have been good, especially the Spectral:On. I am also interested to see how the new Haibike Flyon and Lapierre Zesty get reviewed, and Whyte also have a whole range of ebikes coming out summer next year that use Fazua, Bosch and Shimano power. (y)

The only certainty is it won’t be a new Levo - I don’t like the battery shape or loading method, prices are sky high and the problems with noisy motors and dirt ingress are not giving me a good feeling about the bike.

Sounds a task whittling it down to one bike out of that line up! Having said that, I'm also not sure there's a wrong choice to be had? And I've heard Specialized have brought out a fix for the dirt ingress, and they're definitely changing motors, no questions asked if your unlucky enough to cop for a noisy one!! Best of luck

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles