Hi from the Peak District. New eMTB on the horizon.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Been there pal, you’ll get to a choice , budget, spec , travel , size , brand.
Don’t think any of them are bad.

When you narrow it down go and take a look in the nearest dealers and try and get some test rides.

Once you get one it’s brilliant ?

Last edited:

Crashlad

Jun 24, 2019
Derbyshire
I took the plunge about a month ago now on a merida e 120 600. I actually enjoy the climbs in the peaks now, Two Dales, Ashover, Goyt Valley, whinstone lee tor, cut gate planned for this weekend, absolutely loving it ?

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
I took the plunge about a month ago now on a merida e 120 600. I actually enjoy the climbs in the peaks now, Two Dales, Ashover, Goyt Valley, whinstone lee tor, cut gate planned for this weekend, absolutely loving it ?

I hadn't looked at this bike before, seems a really great spec.

I'm guessing you're really pleased with it..? What other bikes did you look at before getting this one..? Did you ride it before you bought it, or did you buy unseen..?

cheers

simon

Crashlad

Jun 24, 2019
Derbyshire
Simon.
I did enough research to satisfy myself, that I'd be happy with the Shimano steps system.
And TBH I'm not really a fan of Sram, so for the merida to be fully kitted out with Shimano was another plus.
I did travel to have a blast on a friends 160 ( a superb bike) but settled on the 120 as the 160 felt a bit too much bike for my kind of riding.
I don't really research any purchase to the nth degree. I tend to find something that i feel is right for me & look no further.
In answer then yes, I'm extremely happy with the bike, it's opened up a whole new side of riding for me.

20190704_113906.jpg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hello, I've bought 3 in the last couple months and all have proved to be great bikes. I wouldn't worry to much about a degree here or a mm there.

Where is the confusion centered, ie. frame geometry, motor type, wheel size, or suspension travel?

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Hello, I've bought 3 in the last couple months and all have proved to be great bikes. I wouldn't worry to much about a degree here or a mm there.

Where is the confusion centered, ie. frame geometry, motor type, wheel size, or suspension travel?
Probably all of the above, just trying to balance the components with the price. I also get the feeling I’d like the Shimano motor system/display better but most of the bikes I’ve looked at have the Bosch system.

My wife might get a Trek Powerfly 5, so I’ll see how that feels.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I think the Powerfly will be a great place to start. I started with the Giant Trance pro 1, while it's not perfect, its close enough start figuring out what perfect means.

I can recommend, that component quality is likely more important than geometry, as long as the geometry is not completely un-orthodox.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I went for the GIANT Stance E+1 and I love it. It’s starter price full suspension but it does everything I want it to do , goes up and down hill fast enough. It’s good build and spec for the price and I’m a great believer in best bike doesn’t make best rider.
Oh, and I love the colour ?
6C755D68-5A75-4746-87B8-2A06A61D0E14.jpeg

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I think this Wire Peak | Fezzari Bikes®

Will be my next ebike purchase.

We still need one more for my daughter, and based on the value of components, I dont think these can be easily beat.

On top of the value factor, there is also the reviews of the bike itself, and the customer service reputation they are building.

Sorry if I mucked up the waters even more?

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
I think this Wire Peak | Fezzari Bikes®

Will be my next ebike purchase.

We still need one more for my daughter, and based on the value of components, I dont think these can be easily beat.

On top of the value factor, there is also the reviews of the bike itself, and the customer service reputation they are building.

Sorry if I mucked up the waters even more?
Soooo many choices, I’m sure they’re all good enough for me. I think I’d feel better buying from a shop though...but that may change..;-)

Cheers

Simon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles