Hi from SE Queensland, Australia

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Gold Coast, Qld Australia
Thanks for the add. I'm 61 and have been mountain biking for over 20 years now... mostly recreational, although I did do some racing 2004-2011. I am also the Rohloff Speedhub distributor for Australia, so most of my mtbs have a Rohloff Speedhub fitted.

So I tried some ebikes out a few weeks back and went ahead and bought myself a 2019 Specialized Turbo Levo Expert. One thing I noticed was how much of a pounding the derailleurs take on an emtb, so I've just converted my new Levo Turbo a few days back to a Rohloff (gear hub) drivetrain... left the 32 tooth on the front and have a single 16 tooth steel sprocket on the back. I'm biased, but it works beautifully - clean, quiet and very reliable. And as for the ebike/emtb… I am loving this bike and riding more than I have in a long time. Cheers Paul.
Specialized Turbo Levo - closeup disc brake side setup Rohloff Conversion 06Apr19d-sq reduced ...jpg

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Hey Paul,

That is a pretty fancy hub, I didnt even know they made hubs with internal gearing. Really cleans up the back end of the bike. Are these Rohloff hubs available to the public in Australia? The website seems to state that it is distributed to manufactures only?

I found this on YouTube and assume its you? -
What options does someone have to get one of these hubs and are there any places here in QLD that would provide an installation service. What sort of cost would we be looking at?

I have managed to wear out the cassette on my Giant Trance E+1 in 3 months so looking at alternatives as I want to use the bike for commuting as well as weekend fun in the dirty stuff.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hi, i’m from SEQ too. I tired of replacing driveline stuff. Always smacking rear mec’s and wearing out cassettes. Would love a 14 speed, and even tho it would be awesome, I think it would be cost prohibitive for me.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hi, i’m from SEQ too. I tired of replacing driveline stuff. Always smacking rear mec’s and wearing out cassettes. Would love a 14 speed, and even tho it would be awesome, I think it would be cost prohibitive for me.

Can call or email me to discuss... our Rohloff website is www.rohloff-au.com/contact and has all the details. The Rohloff is a costly first up purchase, but lifecycle cost is far less than a derailleur system. I have 3 bikes with Rohloffs and all we do is change the oil every year... $22 for an oil kit.

Sales was not the reason behind this project. I noticed the impact on the drive train when I started testing a few different eMtbs last month. My immediate thought was that whatever eMtb I ended up buying, I would do a Rohloff conversion as I knew the wear and damage would be a real issue. Had another Kenevo owner from northern NSW call me 2 days back and he is in process of doing the Rohloff conversion, after destroying another derailleur.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Any more videos or updates on yours and other conversions that have been done since the last post.
A number of people have contacted me and posted asking for more detail... hope this video/PowerPoint helps. As for the Specialized it has been fault free, no issues and no maintenance over the 750kms so far. Chain and sprocket wear are so minimal it is not measurable. And I have continued to push the testing aby riding hard and fast... racing in local and State events and riding as many different trails as I can. Love it - I just enjoy the ride and keep having a lot of fun.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
A number of people have contacted me and posted asking for more detail... hope this video/PowerPoint helps. As for the Specialized it has been fault free, no issues and no maintenance over the 750kms so far. Chain and sprocket wear are so minimal it is not measurable. And I have continued to push the testing aby riding hard and fast... racing in local and State events and riding as many different trails as I can. Love it - I just enjoy the ride and keep having a lot of fun.
Thanks! Paul. Great info, just what I needed to know. Appreciate the help. Jesse.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hey Paul,

That is a pretty fancy hub, I didnt even know they made hubs with internal gearing. Really cleans up the back end of the bike. Are these Rohloff hubs available to the public in Australia? The website seems to state that it is distributed to manufactures only?

I found this on YouTube and assume its you? -
What options does someone have to get one of these hubs and are there any places here in QLD that would provide an installation service. What sort of cost would we be looking at?

I have managed to wear out the cassette on my Giant Trance E+1 in 3 months so looking at alternatives as I want to use the bike for commuting as well as weekend fun in the dirty stuff.
I just saw this... did I reply to you back in April? I can't find any reply, so if I didn't I can certainly answer your questions. Just posted a more detailed PowerPoint last night at the bottom of this thread if that helps. Or contact me [email protected] 0452-339289. Cheers and apologies if I never responded, Paul.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles