Hi from Bury, Nth Manchester.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Hi all
Been a regular reader for some time and finally thought I’d say hello and I look forward to adding my tuppence worth every now and again. I’m currently using a 2019 Trek Powerfly 7 after selling my previous Scott E-Scale 930 to a friend. I’m in my early 50’s, 6’ 4” and of a larger stature. My wife thinks I’m just a fat b*#%&(d. I was never a fan of cycling but my wife loves it and kept moaning at me to join her.
Mistake #1 - I bought a Cannondale mtb from a large cycle store and just hated the prospect of going anywhere that hills could be present. We live just outside Bury and are surrounded by hills!! After researching how to keep my lungs in check I stumbled across e-bikes.
Mistake #2 - After visiting my large local bike store on 3 separate occasions and not finding anyone willing to relive me of my hard earned I ended up in a much smaller family run bike shop with a much smaller range of emtb’s. Can I have a ride on one, of course you can and he put me on the Scott. Less than a couple of miles later I was back in the shop handing over my hard earned for the bike. I did almost 1000 miles on that bike without any issues at all and loved every minute of it but my wife had grown increasingly pissed off with me in not being able to keep up so she bought her own 2018 PF7 from the same shop. I really wish I’d dropped on this forum before I took the plunge with my 1st bike but heh ho you live and learn. Over the 2 bikes I’m almost at 2000 trouble free miles. My wife has a similar mileage and other than routine servicing back at the LBS nothing has been required.
Not content with 2 emtb’s in the family we purchased another 2018 PF7 for our son. He’s 21 and has Downs Syndrome and he “hates” riding but is brought along with us on most occasions. Once he’s rolling he’s fine and takes some keeping up with. His PF7 is a little 15.5” frame on 27.5 wheels and just seems to fly along. He doesn’t do changing gears and I invariably set him off in tour mode and a mid-range gear. If there are any tricky climbs to make we stop short, put him in turbo and a lower gear and away he goes. All 3 bikes are tubeless, what a good decision that was. The LBS did it for me when new. I’ve upgraded the tyres to Maxxis DHF & DHR’s as the std fit Bontragers were crap. Unfortunately I’ve recently had a major op so can’t ride for a week or 2 but hopefully I should be back in the saddle soon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles