Hi! Clansey sent me - I hired an eMTB, how to choose which one to buy?!

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Hello!

Current MTB and road rider here. Rented an eMTB for a day and I'm converted. After finding Clansey's videos and a quick chat he directed me here :)

Short version is I'm looking at a Canyon Neuron On 6 or 7 (in black, of course), but wondering if there's anything else I should consider before placing the order?

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
Can you tell us what your budget is? It would also help if you can tell us what sort of things you'll be doing with the bike, black/red trails? Downhill? The folk on this forum are full of knowledge, but need a frame of reference to give good advice.

I think my Giant Stance E+1 looks to be at the bottom of your price range based on the 2 you mention. I love it so far, but only had it a few days! The Trance E+2 would sit about the same price as the Neuron On 7. Might be worth a look.

Sure you will get lots of good suggestions here. I unfortunately had to take Canyon out of my options because I really just wanted one from a range supplied by my local dealer that I trust. I see some issues with motor/battery on every brand so I wanted that piece of mind!

H.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Of course - wasn't sure how much detail to put in!

Budget about £3.5k-£4k - hoping to use a cycle scheme.
Full sus
29er preferred
Alu frame preferred

Use to include trails (Red, Black) and some canal-path commute / travel. I currently have a hardtail entry-level Scott Scale, which I also use with a tow-bar for my boy.

The quick summary - I hired a Trek Powerfly (+ 7?) for a day at Coed Y Brenin trails in Wales and had an absolute hoot. Did most of the Dragon's Back (Red) and all of MBR (Black) - about 32 miles. It did seem a bit hard to muscle around tight corners so something a little more lively would be nice. After a week of thought, researching and mulling I've come down to looking at a Canyon Neuron:On 6 or 7.

I'm aware of Canyon's customer service, but the spec, battery capacity and price seem to be the right ones. I've ridden a lot more road than MTB, so I'm a little out of depth on manufacturers and the fine details of the spec. The closed-system of Bosch is a turn off, and the assist level tweaking of Shimano is a plus. I'm looking to demo a Merida 160 800 next weekend to check the feel of the shimano system.

Totally agree that customer service would be good, but not sure what to look at. An outgoing 2019 Merida might be possible, but the 2020 models are too much. Focus options - I'm not sure about their approach to a small integrated and larger bolt-on battery. Think I'd rather just have a swap-in "normal" size.

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
Did you look at a Specialized Turbo Levo FSR 2019? That was my "if I could stretch to 4k" bike! It's a 29er, bit lighter and more agile than some others. Folk seem to love it and the frame barely even looks like an e-bike.

Rob did a nice video on YT Decoy vs the Turbo levo, both have an entry model at that £4k mark. Might be worth a watch:

Last edited:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Commencal is a good comparison bike for a Canyon. Take a look at their website and see if any of their models fit your needs. They also have a Second Hand section where you can get models a bit used and cheaper

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Did you look at a Specialized Turbo Levo FSR 2019? That was my "if I could stretch to 4k" bike! It's a 29er, bit lighter and more agile than some others. Folk seem to love it and the frame barely even looks like an e-bike.

Rob did a nice video on YT Decoy vs the Turbo levo, both have an entry model at that £4k mark. Might be worth a watch:

I hadn't looked at the Levo. I'm quite liking the idea of the external, or at least easily removable, battery (Levo looks a bit tricky to be messing with twice a day?). If I commute on it I'll most likely need to charge the battery a little for the trip home, and while there's bike storage there's no outlet near there. Will check out the video though - thanks!

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
It's actually not bad. I had the guy in my local store show me when I was considering it. You disconnect it (pull a plug!) and then undo a single bolt. Battery slides out. Its more hassle than turning a key like on mine, but really it takes <1 min.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Hello!

Current MTB and road rider here. Rented an eMTB for a day and I'm converted. After finding Clansey's videos and a quick chat he directed me here :)

Short version is I'm looking at a Canyon Neuron On 6 or 7 (in black, of course), but wondering if there's anything else I should consider before placing the order?
Yo, strange to seem my name in a thread title. I thought I was in trouble for a second, like a naughty school boy :ROFLMAO:

Nice to see you are demo'ing the Merida it feels very similar to the spectral and should give you an idea of what the canyon is like. Like I said on reddit if you are ever at the same place as me give me a shout and you can jump on my bike no probs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles