Hey guys! Please help me choose my first ebike!

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
Hey all! So here goes.. Im about to purchase my first ebike as im stuggling on the uphills. Right now im just riding around Cannock Chase trails but really want to get into more downhill trails/jumps like Bike park Wales, albeit nothing major! I'm a amateur but im fairly confident and will give most reasonable things a try! I dont enjoy technical climbs up rocky paths etc, i just want the motor to help me get up fire roads and hills on the trails. My riding will be a mixed bag of everything though i guess, although i don't enjoy flat trails and uphills that much and always looking for the down parts! My budget is very low at 3k (not very flexible) and i have made the following shortlist, (with discounts applied)

Vitus E-sommet base model (e7000) £2.8k
Vitus E-escarpe base model (e7000) £2.8k
CUBE STEREO HYBRID 160 HPC SL 625 27.5 £3250
Pre-owned Vitus E-sommet Vrs £2800 which is like new but no warranty (which scares the crap out of me as i dont have loads of spare cash for new motors etc)

I feel maybe the cube is the best Value with components but after sitting on one it felt abit chunky and maybe the position doesn't lend itself to fast downhill trails and jumping ? Whereas the Vitus bikes look more like a normal frame size bike with better geometry? hope that doesnt sound stupid! I havnt rode any of them and doesnt look like i will be able to at the mo! your option would be MUCH appreciated, and if you could recommend anything else please do! Thanks for your time! Sam.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's difficult to say for sure as we all want/like different things.

The Sommet for instance is light and well thought out, but personally for me, I wouldn't go for an e7000.

The VRS - is maybe chain reaction on e-bay ? So whilst the bike won't have a warranty, in theory, the motor still should have via Shimano - Though you'd need a receipt of original purchase. There was a thread a few weeks ago of someone in a similar situation and their e7000 failed. Shimano wouldn't cover it though as the receipt was only the e-bay one. Eventually Chain reaction exchanged the broken motor for a second hand one, which was good of them .

The cube with the bosch is a great motor, with a battery which will give you plenty of range. As to whether it will do all the jumps and downhills you want .. it should do .. but it will feel a bit lardier than a sommet..... Will you notice ? that depends on the rider. Will you enjoy it, definitely . That also sounds like an outstanding price for the Cube.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
It's difficult to say for sure as we all want/like different things.

The Sommet for instance is light and well thought out, but personally for me, I wouldn't go for an e7000.

The VRS - is maybe chain reaction on e-bay ? So whilst the bike won't have a warranty, in theory, the motor still should have via Shimano - Though you'd need a receipt of original purchase. There was a thread a few weeks ago of someone in a similar situation and their e7000 failed. Shimano wouldn't cover it though as the receipt was only the e-bay one. Eventually Chain reaction exchanged the broken motor for a second hand one, which was good of them .

The cube with the bosch is a great motor, with a battery which will give you plenty of range. As to whether it will do all the jumps and downhills you want .. it should do .. but it will feel a bit lardier than a sommet..... Will you notice ? that depends on the rider. Will you enjoy it, definitely . That also sounds like an outstanding price for the Cube.
Thanks for such a great reply Zimmer frame! It really is appreciated, i definitely think the Cube is a better package no doubt, but i love the idea of having as close to a normal bike as possible just with assistant to get to the top of the runs. Im in such a pickle! Iv also seen the 2019 Commencal meta power essential fox for £3400 new. Could i ask why you wouldnt go for the e7000? Thanks!

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
Thanks for such a great reply Zimmer frame! It really is appreciated, i definitely think the Cube is a better package no doubt, but i love the idea of having as close to a normal bike as possible just with assistant to get to the top of the runs. Im in such a pickle! Iv also seen the 2019 Commencal meta power essential fox for £3400 new. Could i ask why you wouldnt go for the e7000? Thanks!
hi i would check stocks as im afraid to say that pretty much all sold out everywere ive looked high Nd low for a freind as inmanaged to buy the last 22inch 160 stereo action team 2 months ago......still hasnt arriverd im told august and because of this covid 19 there wont be a 2121 model due to parts shortage i no shit right .... good luck mate maybe look for a decnt second hand cube they really are outstanding spec for the price .. good luck:)

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
hi i would check stocks as im afraid to say that pretty much all sold out everywere ive looked high Nd low for a freind as inmanaged to buy the last 22inch 160 stereo action team 2 months ago......still hasnt arriverd im told august and because of this covid 19 there wont be a 2121 model due to parts shortage i no shit right .... good luck mate maybe look for a decnt second hand cube they really are outstanding spec for the price .. good luck:)
Hey mate! Yes the cube i can get, also the Vitus are going to be in stock in 3 weeks!

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
I
Take a look at the decathalon stilus. It's an absolute bargain!
Have taken a look at that mate, the specs are great for the cost im just concerned it maybe more of a all round mountain bike than an enduro looking at the specs. Also the residual value of decathlon branded bikes is terrible.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Iv also seen the 2019 Commencal meta power essential fox for £3400 new. Could i ask why you wouldnt go for the e7000?

The meta power would be a nice bike too .. ultimately, there's a lot of nice bikes out there and not many crap ones, so you can't go too far wrong - it's just making sure it's the right bike for you which is the more difficult part !!

I think there is a thread on the cube 160, Rob's not finished his video yet though. Apparently, his hair was out of place on a few shots so they've had to re-shoot some sections ... :)

Whilst the odds are, no motor will actually fail on you (obviously just with the amount out there, some do). From my stats, the e7000 is slightly more prone to failure, but to make things worse, due to the way it's assembled, it's not and never will be, serviceable (not without a lot of pain anyway). At least with the e8000 someone will be able to take it apart and fix things down the line when you're out of warranty. If you think you'll change the bike before the warranty runs out, then you can disregard the e7000 concerns. It also might be that once you're out of warranty in a couple of years time, it might be easy to just buy a re-furbished e8000 for £500 and slot that in.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
The meta power would be a nice bike too .. ultimately, there's a lot of nice bikes out there and not many crap ones, so you can't go too far wrong - it's just making sure it's the right bike for you which is the more difficult part !!

I think there is a thread on the cube 160, Rob's not finished his video yet though. Apparently, his hair was out of place on a few shots so they've had to re-shoot some sections ... :)

Whilst the odds are, no motor will actually fail on you (obviously just with the amount out there, some do). From my stats, the e7000 is slightly more prone to failure, but to make things worse, due to the way it's assembled, it's not and never will be, serviceable (not without a lot of pain anyway). At least with the e8000 someone will be able to take it apart and fix things down the line when you're out of warranty. If you think you'll change the bike before the warranty runs out, then you can disregard the e7000 concerns. It also might be that once you're out of warranty in a couple of years time, it might be easy to just buy a re-furbished e8000 for £500 and slot that in.
Fantastic informative info mate! Thats very helpful, and i like the idea i could swap out the e7000 for the 8000 without too much hassle if needs be. Power wise is there really that much difference? There are practically no comparisons i can find on youtube. Also do you think external battery bikes are more likely to drop down in price heavily as i imagine they are going to be dated very quickly? Thanks for all your help!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles