Hey folks! New Vitus E-Sommet owner here

driftmonkey

Apr 7, 2020
Marlow
Hi all, new owner of a Vitus E-Sommet here (Deore, E7000 version). Looking forward to chatting through experiences with other owners. Also interested in the perennial "What bash guard will fit this bike?" question!!

(edited to include a box-fresh bike pic!)

Vitus E-Sommet.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You can't fit a bash guard to a steps crank or the motors chainguide tabs so I'm assuming you mean a motor guard?
Plenty info on this in the Vitus section of the forum if you search.
plenty info there on pretty much every question you're likely to ask as a new owner too.

driftmonkey

Apr 7, 2020
Marlow
You can't fit a bash guard to a steps crank or the motors chainguide tabs so I'm assuming you mean a motor guard?
Plenty info on this in the Vitus section of the forum if you search.
plenty info there on pretty much every question you're likely to ask as a new owner too.

Thanks Gary - yes I mean a motor guard.

I did do a forum search and found quite a few threads on home made solutions - but couldn't find anything about a OEM solution...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That will be because the OEM solution only fits the E8000 motor. [EDIT - the one R120 just liked to]
it can be made to fit the E7000 but it won't be ideal.
you need a DIY or third party option.
There is tons of info in the Vitus forum covering this

driftmonkey

Apr 7, 2020
Marlow
Thx Gary. I will pick up on one of the threads already in motion on the DIY options. I have also contacted Rockguardz to see if they have a 3rd party solution as couldn't see anything else from initial searches....

Surfbodi.

Dec 31, 2020
Wales.
Hi there. I'm new to this site. Just wondering how reliable you have found this bike to be? I bought the same model a few weeks ago. Was out on my fifth ride today but had a few error codes (w011, W013 and W910). Once home I moved the magnet sensor back slightly and all seems o.k again? I bought the bike from Wiggles ebay shop and as such only have 30 days to return if things go wrong. This is making me nervous now! Been riding mtb for decades but I'm new to ebikes so sorry if I'm talking crap ??

20201221_130353.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Overall the 2018-2020 ESommet is a pretty reliable bike. (I've owned 2 and probably ridden over 10000 miles between them over the last 3 years)
Main things to do with a new one is, do a full bolt check. and Seal/motofoam above the motor and the connection bay where water/debris can get in (search for this and have a read through the vitus section of the forum. - there's tons of good info there incl torque values etc.)

Now here's the part you're not wanting to hear. No Emtb motor is truely reliable longterm and because of this you'd be foolish to buy any bike that does not come with a full 2 years motor warranty. Unless of course the price was so good you wouldn't mind shelling out £900 for a new motor when yours wears out or a develops a fault requiring replacement.

Surfbodi.

Dec 31, 2020
Wales.
Overall the 2018-2020 ESommet is a pretty reliable bike. (I've owned 2 and probably ridden over 10000 miles between them over the last 3 years)
Main things to do with a new one is, do a full bolt check. and Seal/motofoam above the motor and the connection bay where water/debris can get in (search for this and have a read through the vitus section of the forum. - there's tons of good info there incl torque values etc.)

Now here's the part you're not wanting to hear. No Emtb motor is truely reliable longterm and because of this you'd be foolish to buy any bike that does not come with a full 2 years motor warranty. Unless of course the price was so good you wouldn't mind shelling out £900 for a new motor when yours wears out or a develops a fault requiring replacement.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think I will take my chances regarding the motor. I had the bike for £2600 new. I didnt have a massive budget and most of the bike shops were out of stock of almost everything. Being new to this I'm a bit surprised to find that the motors are not serviceable ? I've already done a DIY motor bash guard and will look into the seal above it. Thanks for the info.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can you get a reciept for the bike from wiggle?
Because that's all you'd really need were to take it to a shimano service centre (ie. pretty much every decent LBS) with a faulty motor as all new shimano parts are warrantied for 2 years date of sale.
You'd need to pay the LBS for labour obvs like any customer would but it's worth using and building a good relationship with your LBS rather than just buying everything at the cheapest price from online shops for this very reason.

Surfbodi.

Dec 31, 2020
Wales.
Can you get a reciept for the bike from wiggle?
Because that's all you'd really need were to take it to a shimano service centre (ie. pretty much every decent LBS) with a faulty motor as all new shimano parts are warrantied for 2 years date of sale.
You'd need to pay the LBS for labour obvs like any customer would but it's worth using and building a good relationship with your LBS rather than just buying everything at the cheapest price from online shops for this very reason.
Hi. Yes, I have a receipt for the bike. I have a great relationship with my local bike shop. Spent half my wages there for years ? Been reading some of the threads and am a bit concerned about the W010 warning. Seems to spell doom? Think I will take it out tomorrow and see how it goes. I may have bought an Orbea from my lbs but there was at least a 5 month wait and a fair bit more expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles