Not open for further replies.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
By switching to a normal chain ring there is no way to make it retro compatible

I don't see why that would have to be the case. If the mounting points were in the same place relative to the centreline of the BB it should work. There's no incentive for Bosch to do that though and it may make the new motor bigger than necessary.
I'd be interested to see the form factor of the Active Line motor that uses a normal size chainring.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...I'd be interested to see the form factor of the Active Line motor that uses a normal size chainring.
6FD0BCDF-2F51-415E-9D96-2D958C37DE62.jpeg

4ADDF608-4A6B-415A-9349-87BBA85AB671.jpeg

1F6E463F-CBE0-4FA5-85DA-B5193415881F.jpeg

CE540B85-2A86-4A13-988A-968EB6C17EB9.jpeg

Everything you need to know about the versatile and extremely quiet Active Line Plus.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I still think there's an aftermarket for bolt in adapters to fit newer motors or other brands. Pretty simple as the newer motors are smaller. Aftermarket batteries as well to fit different bikes

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Lots of great improvements! can't wait to test one out

But seeing the large base of POMs on this forum, I'll have a go at recreational whinging

>Anyone else not a fan of big displays or any display for that matter?

> longer battery length- wouldn't that higher the center gravity? thought the goal would be to get the dead weight as low as possible

>suspenion integration?? who's that pedantic about the suspension?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
>Anyone else not a fan of big displays or any display for that matter?
Bosch’s displays have historically been swappable with any one being able to be used with (almost) any motor. I suspect you will see at least one minimal option released with the new motor.
> longer battery length- wouldn't that higher the center gravity? thought the goal would be to get the dead weight as low as possible
Yes it will, but since all the competition are doing it to get that integrated look they are just following the herd. Lower CG is just one of the practical reasons to prefer an “ugly” external battery, but sadly they are being “focus-group-researched” out of existence...
>suspension integration?? who's that pedantic about the suspension?
It’s just a sales led differentiating feature over the competition for those who absolutely must have “the best”. Nowadays most of the truly premium (£8k+) bikes seen to use Brose or Shimano rather than Bosch; they probably want their slice back of those (higher profit margin) sales.

R

RW

25% Lighter at 2.9kg
48% smaller
75nm torque so no change - improved power curve
Turbo mode up from 300% to 340% assistance
Battery 625wh with a rumoured 725wh coming - range likely the same as old gen with increased assistance.
Virtually zero resistance from the motor
The display is whatever manufacture prefer so Kiox or Purion
Announcement coming 18th June 2019
New fitment so no cannot retro fitted to replace older gen motors.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Judging by this I doubt it;

It will be easy to fabricate an adapter fixing for it especially as it is smaller - infact the shiny steel plate shown in the photo is probably a retro fit plate. Then all we need to do is splice the wires onto any new plug sockets they might change - so long as it works with old batteries it will be easy peasy.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
25% Lighter at 2.9kg
48% smaller
75nm torque so no change - improved power curve
Turbo mode up from 300% to 340% assistance
Battery 625wh with a rumoured 725wh coming - range likely the same as old gen with increased assistance.
Virtually zero resistance from the motor
The display is whatever manufacture prefer so Kiox or Purion
Announcement coming 18th June 2019
New fitment so no cannot retro fitted to replace older gen motors.

So basicly a E8000 motor, with probably less noise? And maybe a bit better powerband. (hopefully able to assist more at higher cadence)

Which explains why it doesnt look like Shimano has something new coming soon (they probably dont see it as a big enough competitor, for them having to step it up yet), sort of confirmed by seing brands like YT using the E8000 in the brand new Decoy instead of waiting for something new.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Which explains why it doesnt look like Shimano has something new coming soon

The E8000 is a goo dmotor but it could do with an iteration. Too many weird error codes, fussy about the torque sensor, etc. It's good, but it feels a bit v1.0 right now. A minor refresh based on lessons learned would be great.Bosch have been doing this for ages. The Perf Line CX wasnt perfect, but they got a lot right. Hopefully the new motor will build on that heritage.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
The real test is in how companies can make sure the software is regularly developed.

The secret sauce for the Brose in the Levo 2019 is really Specialized’s software stack. I have no idea if Shimano or Bosch are open to OEMs developing their own fork of the control software.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have no idea if Shimano or Bosch are open to OEMs developing their own fork of the control software.
I suspect that this was one of the determining factors for Brose in Specialized's motor choice. As far as I know Bosch / Shimano all require OEM displays and software.

DEADHEAD

Jun 12, 2019
UK
So basicly a E8000 motor, with probably less noise? And maybe a bit better powerband. (hopefully able to assist more at higher cadence)

Which explains why it doesnt look like Shimano has something new coming soon (they probably dont see it as a big enough competitor, for them having to step it up yet), sort of confirmed by seing brands like YT using the E8000 in the brand new Decoy instead of waiting for something new.

Whyte has gone for the new Bosch motor in all 3 of their new EMTBs and Scott have dropped Shimano from all but 2 models for 2020 instead using Bosch.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Whyte has gone for the new Bosch motor in all 3 of their new EMTBs and Scott have dropped Shimano from all but 2 models for 2020 instead using Bosch.

And, judging by the leaked Focus Jam2 photos that was briefly on the forum, they've also switched at least some models from Shimano to Bosch 2020.

I wonder why bike manufacturers are moving from Shimano to Bosch? Size/weight is similar, so it can't be for the physical benefits. It's probably all supply chain or servicing, but it's kinda nice to hope the Bosch has some other killa feature like silence or even better decoupling past 16mph...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wonder why bike manufacturers are moving from Shimano to Bosch? Size/weight is similar, so it can't be for the physical benefits. It's probably all supply chain or servicing, but it's kinda nice to hope the Bosch has some other killa feature like silence or even better decoupling past 16mph...
Market demand for bigger battery ?

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Market demand for bigger battery

Yep,but according the info leaked here, capacity for new Bosch bat could be 600-650Wh and Shimano already has 630Wh with Simplo and other companies

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Yep,but according the info leaked here, capacity for new Bosch bat could be 600-650Wh and Shimano already has 630Wh with Simplo and other companies

Using other suppliers for batteries gives the bike manufacturers choice. But I guess that's not always a good thing. They probably prefer to buy the whole kit from one place, and Bosch may be a better long-term partner to have.

Shimano have a good motor, but they're falling behind on being able to offer battery choice...

Reactions: Bis

DEADHEAD

Jun 12, 2019
UK
I have seen the new Bosch motor and battery. The battery is 625wh with a rumoured 725wh coming. When I felt the motor the resistance there was no more than a standard sealed bottom bracket.
I Never got to test ride one :(

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
And, judging by the leaked Focus Jam2 photos that was briefly on the forum, they've also switched at least some models from Shimano to Bosch 2020.

The most likely answer is commercial. Remember Bosch were the market leader by a long way a few years ago, but have since been surpassed by new motors from the likes of Brose, Shimano and (a bit more debatable) Yamaha. I guess they want to get back to the top of the tree (and be perceived to be the best by potential buyers), so I am sure they have been very aggressive in the way they have priced their motors for the 2020 models from key brands like Whyte, Cube, Focus etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles