Here is the inside of the focus jam2 battery , may be of interest to some people. Some corrosion starting in the last picture.

Feb 10, 2019
Perhshire
Ride
Focus jam 2
Sorry , third picture down with pencil pointing to corrosion
Russ.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Ride
???
Kinda looks more like dirt/trail munge than corrosion when compared to the color of the foreign material on the plastic connector. How far has this battery traveled?

Feb 10, 2019
Perhshire
Ride
Focus jam 2
No it's corrosion, like the green verdigris you see on copper pipe,
Maybe due to flux residue , but the case was distinctly damp inside, case very well sealed, and very difficult to get apart!.
There are 41 volts sitting in those cells but the faulty battery management systems won't let them out!
The battery has done 136 miles
Russ

knut7

Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Interesting to see what cells it is! Sorry about the warranty? :-o

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"but the case was distinctly damp inside, case very well sealed,"

Simple condensation issue due to atmospheric conditions. When the battery heats up during use and then cools down some moisture will occur, albeit a relatively small amount, that will build up inside the casing over time especially if the case is very well sealed and no way for any escape via air flow.

Notice that the new Haibike flyon has an actual air duct built into the system. Not only to evacuate heat build up but also the effect your battery has.

Feb 10, 2019
Perhshire
Ride
Focus jam 2
"but the case was distinctly damp inside, case very well sealed,"

Simple condensation issue due to atmospheric conditions. When the battery heats up during use and then cools down some moisture will occur, albeit a relatively small amount, that will build up inside the casing over time especially if the case is very well sealed and no way for any escape via air flow.

Notice that the new Haibike flyon has an actual air duct built into the system. Not only to evacuate heat build up but also the effect your battery has.
Yes I agree it's probably condensation, still hardly an ideal situation for delicate electronics .
Russ.

Eckythump

E*POWAH Master
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Were there any screws lurking under any stickers? I tried to take mine apart the other day when I had some issues after the bike had been washed upside down.
The battery case has cracks radiating from where the retaining bolts pass through it so I wanted to check for water ingress.
After taking out the 8 obvious screws I couldn’t tease it apart with the usual electrical casing tools.

Feb 10, 2019
Perhshire
Ride
Focus jam 2
Were there any screws lurking under any stickers? I tried to take mine apart the other day when I had some issues after the bike had been washed upside down.
The battery case has cracks radiating from where the retaining bolts pass through it so I wanted to check for water ingress.
After taking out the 8 obvious screws I couldn’t tease it apart with the usual electrical casing tools.
There are only 8 screws, but inside the case there are 5 internal clips down each side
You will need a stout screwdriver to pry and twist at the same time, it's very difficult! You'll here cracking noise as clips separate.
Not really supposed to come apart I guess. My new battery now ordered 😀 two week wait though😞.
img_20190223_180800-jpg.11233

Eckythump

E*POWAH Master
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Mine is just out of warranty so getting an exchange not an option.
Might just glue up the case to seal it up as it is working ok now after drying out.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Ride
CommencalMetaPower29
Put a couple of those moisture absorbing pads you can get for the gopro's etc in it before you seal it up. Should help to reduce condensation in the future.

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending