Help with motor behavior after crash

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi!

Yesterday a dog appeared from nowhere and it got stuck between both wheels. I had a big crash. The bike does not look bad (damage only to derailleur, pedal and grip). After cleaning and swapping the damaged parts (or repairing) I noticed something that I am not sure if it was there before...

The bike is a giant fathom E+ 2 with pro motor. I was testing that everything was fine and then I noticed that with the assistance activated (any level from 1-5) I can pedal very slow and smooth and the motor does not engage until I make some more pressure. As soon as I press the pedal with more pressure the motor engages and it looks like it is working fine, but I don't remember having this behavior before. I even noticed the motor engaging and disengaging when soft pedaling (intermitent activation).

Could you please test your giant ebikes and tell me if you are able to pedal so soft that the motor does not engage?

Thanks for your help,
Regards.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Thanks for your interest. The dog did not receive any damage... It just run far away after the crash, but I spent 3 hours at the local hospital because I can't stand on my right leg :(

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Hope you have recovered and that your bike is okay. I've only seen this thread now for the first time. It is indeed possible to pedal so soft that the motor won't kick in but it will be very little effort. The amount that the support will kick in with will also depend on the support level. With high sort levels the kick in will be abrupt, which is why you don't want to do technical trails on boost so that power comes in gradually and with more pressure to give your more control. If you put your bike in boost and stand next to the Bike and apply pressure on the pedal it will violently jump away and of your not careful our prepared will cause great havoc. At low support you may think it's not even working. The great that your are on also plays a role. If you are in a heavy gear you could very well think your motor is not even working at all. I will be very surprised if a fall like that causes any damage of that kind. The Yamaha motor are extremely reliable and robust.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
“It is indeed possible to pedal so soft that the motor won't kick in but it will be very little effort”

This is what I thought as it is the only thing I noticed after the accident. I had to true the rear wheel and now everything is as smooth as always.

thanks!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles