Help the Canyon PPS sizing!

Jan 19, 2019
UK
Hi Guys,
I am about to purchase my first e-bike and I am looking for some advice before I hit add to basket.
After a lot of back and forth I have decided the Canyon Spectral:ON 9 (2019 Model) is the bike I want.

I currently ride a Trek X-Caliber 8 (Size XL) I always thought it was a little big for trail riding but ok for cross country stuff. I had a demo of my first e-bike back in October it was the managers own Scott E-Genius 720 Plus 2017 (Size XL). This was the bike that got me hooked on the idea of an e-bike.

I tried the Canyon PPS (Perfect Position System) today and was shocked by the result; it suggested a Medium size bike? I am 40 and haven’t been a medium in anything since the start of high school.

My Stats are:

· Body Height 188 cm
· Inseam Length 80cm
· Body Weight 110 Kg
· Torso Length 75 cm
· Shoulder Width 48 cm
· Arm Length 65 cm

From the Canyon PPS Result:

Normally you would need a Size L. However, your inseam length shows us your saddle height would be around 70.8cm. A Size M is therefore a better match for you.

How accurate has the Canyon PPS (Perfect Position System) been with your sizing when you ordered your bike?

What difference would the saddle height have for me if I got the Large?

Thanks for any advice given.

My only problem then will be deciding between Stealth or Flash Red.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Hi Guys,
I am about to purchase my first e-bike and I am looking for some advice before I hit add to basket.
After a lot of back and forth I have decided the Canyon Spectral:ON 9 (2019 Model) is the bike I want.

I currently ride a Trek X-Caliber 8 (Size XL) I always thought it was a little big for trail riding but ok for cross country stuff. I had a demo of my first e-bike back in October it was the managers own Scott E-Genius 720 Plus 2017 (Size XL). This was the bike that got me hooked on the idea of an e-bike.

I tried the Canyon PPS (Perfect Position System) today and was shocked by the result; it suggested a Medium size bike? I am 40 and haven’t been a medium in anything since the start of high school.

My Stats are:

· Body Height 188 cm
· Inseam Length 80cm
· Body Weight 110 Kg
· Torso Length 75 cm
· Shoulder Width 48 cm
· Arm Length 65 cm

From the Canyon PPS Result:

Normally you would need a Size L. However, your inseam length shows us your saddle height would be around 70.8cm. A Size M is therefore a better match for you.

How accurate has the Canyon PPS (Perfect Position System) been with your sizing when you ordered your bike?

What difference would the saddle height have for me if I got the Large?

Thanks for any advice given.

My only problem then will be deciding between Stealth or Flash Red.

i’m 5’11 all my other bikes have been a size large, i did the canyon pps and it recommended a size medium, i went with that and it’s spot on. If you normall ride XL and it’s recommending a medium, maybe split the difference and go large?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Sounds like you are still an XL, although you might need a 150mm dropper. Unfortunately, the site does not state what's the dropper length. Reach is one of the most important specs as you don't want to be cramped.

Geo seems similar to the commencal meta, I fit perfectly on an XL at 6'1", 31" inseam and long arms.

Spectral:ON 9.0 | CANYON (EN)

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
XL for sure, but with shorter dropper. Or some other bike.

I am 180cm with 87cm inseam and have size L. My friend is also 180cm and a bit shorter inseam and he also rides size L.

We have a bit shorter stems and seat is pushed a bit forward to compensate relative slack seat tube angle by todays standards.

I could drop my seatpost about 3cm but not more -> with your shorter inseam you will be in trouble with size XL frame to find any decent drop in the post.. And you really would need to have the XL since your inseam is shorter by 7cm and you are also 8cm taller than I am = your upper body has about 15cm more height/lenght than I do.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I rode the L in this bike at the NEC show, and am 175cm tall with an identical 80cm inseam and longish arms. I could not quite extend the dropper fully, but the seatpost was not fully slammed; had it been I reckon it would have been just about ok on seat height. The mechanic was occupied sorting other bikes so I just rode it with the seatpost slightly dropped, and everything felt perfect to me.

I therefore think a L will be perfect for you; at worst you would be looking at a shorter dropper. Medium though is likely to feel cramped IMO, though that will really depend on what sort of reach you are used to riding on your current bike.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
With XL frame (mine) mini saddle height is +- 90 cm ( 150mm seat travel +- 70 (seat + drooper) , 520mm seat tube, 165mm crank arms). As L have 40 mm less seat tube (480), inseam length will be at least 86 cm, too long for you. Same if you change seat post travel to 100mm (in add totally inefficient to downhill). I thing M is better, I do not understand how you can ride with XL before ?

Last edited:

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
Because he didn't have dropper earlier?

It shouldn't be about seat tube height when you choose the right size frame, it should be about reach. And if some frames just have too hight seat tube in the size which has proper reach for you - then it would be much wiser to choose some other bike which has low enough seat tube and not to buy expensive bike which clearly has too small frame for you size.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
I'm on a wms 6.0, before I used to ride medium bikes, my haibike being a medium. The PPS recommended a small, so too my chance and bought a small...it fits perfectly I'm 5ft 6 and have an inseam of 73.66 cm.
My hubby has the medium when he normally rode a large bike, his fits too. He's 5ft 10 and inseam of 78.74cm.
Perhaps a large as you can always bring the seat forward.

adambcvg

Feb 18, 2019
The Nam
I have a large, 83cm in seam, 180cm tall. Fits really well and I have the seatpost not at its lowest setting.

PPS said medium for me too but I wanted the reach.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles